Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I pack the bearings full each time I grease. We’re in mud water on and off the throttle. If the bearings are packed full no water gets in. Having said that a factory lubed sealed bearing only has grease to the top of the first ball. If bearings are over greased the balls inside may tend to heat and slide as opposed to rolling. This makes sense for example in a motor bearing that’s over greased running a steady rpm. Our machines are on and off the throttle, in water surrounded be aluminum that pulling the heat away. So for me pack them full keeps the contamination out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I pack the bearings full each time I grease. We’re in mud water on and off the throttle. If the bearings are packed full no water gets in. Having said that a factory lubed sealed bearing only has grease to the top of the first ball. If bearings are over greased the balls inside may tend to heat and slide as opposed to rolling. This makes sense for example in a motor bearing that’s over greased running a steady rpm. Our machines are on and off the throttle, in water surrounded be aluminum that pulling the heat away. So for me pack them full keeps the contamination out.
Agree, mud/water guys fill em, trail guys 2-3 pumps a year is plenty

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
989 Posts
At 3600 miles and going through my fair share of deep water and mud, I see no evidence of mine getting any mud or water in the bearings. Just had all 4 hubs off and its clean as can be in there. Bearings are perfectly smooth. Never greased them yet.

Anyways, I put a couple dabs of grease on my fingers and pushed some grease into the bearings old school.

Just my opinion, but packing them with 15-20 pumps until its PACKED is pointless.

If they were supposed to be packed to the limit they would come that way.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
989 Posts
These are not sealed. I'm pushing it in the same seam that the grease tools push it into. Old school as in, by hand.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Agree, mud/water guys fill em, trail guys 2-3 pumps a year is plenty

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
What he said. ^^^ I grease about every 500 miles or so. Every time I can watch water get push out of the bearing. A fair share is not constant . Round here it won’t rain for weeks and there is always mud and tons of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are 2021s sealed??
I’d say there the same as the 2020 bearings they have a seal on each end, but the wheel bearing race is split so not totally sealed. I put 15-20 shots in or until I see the old contaminated grease start to ooze out followed by some of the new grease. In Nova Scotia we are in water to the head lights some days. So if your in that deep your about 1psi water pressure trying to get into everything bearings for sure. If the bearing is packed full there’s no room for water to get in. Or at least slows it down. Fill them in this part of the world.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just did mine today on my "new" machine. 2020 xrs that I bought with 35 hours on it.

Pumped about 20-25 pumps of grease in each bearing. 2 of the 4 had NOTHING IN THEM. the first thing I saw was clean red grease coming out. (Mine) On the other 2, I saw a little tiny bit of white lithium grease come out. Very little.

I feel better knowing I did this today.

Btw....I did need to use a hub separator on 3 of the hubs. I went to auto zone and borrowed their rear hub separator with the slide hammer.... works like a charm!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a definite maybe!
Your right Mo. high speed desert running high heat. Less grease would be better I suspect.
We crank them up here once in a while but don’t have as much WOT time or the heat. On some wide wood roads we get to mash the throttle. For me it’s about keeping the contamination out. Our runs are always a mixed bag of trails it seems. We even get to
85F a few weeks of the year. We have winter, then bad snowmobiling, a little summer, more bad snowmobiling, winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
People in general neglect to grease things. But people sure like to grease their Can Am bearings lol.
I know it’s a good thing. I do maintenance more maintenance. Then a little more maintenance after that. Chat in this forum track down all the weak spots. Fix them or make better than BRP. Lol I was a mechanical / maintenance supervisor in a past life. Look what it did to me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
People in general neglect to grease things. But people sure like to grease their Can Am bearings lol.
True! When I bought my mower a few years ago I noticed there weren't any zerks visible, owner of the shop I bought it at said that Gravely decided since customers weren't greasing them they would just use sealed bearings everywhere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just did mine today on my "new" machine. 2020 xrs that I bought with 35 hours on it.

Pumped about 20-25 pumps of grease in each bearing. 2 of the 4 had NOTHING IN THEM. the first thing I saw was clean red grease coming out. (Mine) On the other 2, I saw a little tiny bit of white lithium grease come out. Very little.

I feel better knowing I did this today.

Btw....I did need to use a hub separator on 3 of the hubs. I went to auto zone and borrowed their rear hub separator with the slide hammer.... works like a charm!!!!
20 - 25 pumps sounds better then a dab of grease on you finger that requires more disassembly to do

101 - 117 of 117 Posts