Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes if you are aggressive you can blow out the seals however I want my bearings as full as the seals will allow. It appears the majority of these bearing coming out of the factory are with minimal grease which most likely WILL cause premature wear.

I've never heard of a wheel bearing going bad due to "over greasing".
I have seen a bearing go bad due to the loss of the seal.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Yes if you are aggressive you can blow out the seals however I want my bearings as full as the seals will allow. It appears the majority of these bearing coming out of the factory are with minimal grease which most likely WILL cause premature wear.

I've never heard of a wheel bearing going bad due to "over greasing".
I have seen a bearing go bad due to the loss of the seal.
Omg, so if you put too much grease in a sealed bearing, blow the seals out, and the bearing fails, what is the root cause?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Omg, so if you put too much grease in a sealed bearing, blow the seals out, and the bearing fails, what is the root cause?
Root cause? Blowing out the seal!
I get what you're saying, just don't blow out the seal.
It would be better described as "incorrect greasing".

Point being, you can fully grease a "sealed" bearing without blowing out the seal, too much grease or "over greasing" may leak out while keeping the seal compressed and intact.
There is the bearing and then a bearing seal.

That's where people may not understand, the bearing should be fully packed and typically needs to first be over greased and rolled to push all the air out, just like a unsealed bearing.
That over grease can be wiped off.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
At times I really wonder...
The 'so called' sealed bearings, are not really sealed. The bearings have protective shields.
It allows you to flush out the bearings and get fresh grease in to them.
Yes, if you use an pneumatic grease gun, that moves a large amount of grease quickly, it is possible to pop off a cover, but you can just simply push it back on.
Wipe off the excess and reassemble.
You will find that some grease will ooze out during heat cycles, this causes no problem.
But if you have only a limited amount of grease in the bearing, sooner or later you will run out of it.
An example of a real sealed bearing would be the common front wheel bearing of any common rear wheel drive car.
A pressed in lip seal on the inside and a sealing cap on the outside; you fully pack the bearings before assembly, add a good amount of grease to the empty cavity, but maintain a large void space, for expansion during heat up.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I guess I lucked out. Can am got my attention purely based on looks. Then in person I saw how terrible the seating position is in a polaris, ESPECIALLY the rear seats. The cab also looked cheap to me. Then I saw that the can am came with 195hp and that had me sold lol
I give our 2 seat X3's bearings a few shots of grease each oil change.
Nothing's changed. A good friend bought the Polaris 4 seat because he like the suspension, but we went with the 2020 X3 Max for driver position and easier to look at. Feels better to drive too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On my 2020 XRS rr I was surprised by seeing grease from the factory when I went to grease my bearings at 10 miles. With that being said it still took 16 pumps front and 19/20 rear to get grease to come out. So, yes it is still an issues on 2020's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They aren't really 'sealed' bearings.

Can't really over grease..... excess just squeezes out.

I'm a believer in grease. I even grease my trailer ball. When I was a kid my dad had a trailer ball shear off and the trailer departed stage right at highway speed. Destroyed, not broke, but DESTROYED everything in the trailer. Much of it was antique furniture that my mom spent years and mega $$$ collecting. I watched her collecting shattered peices of her antiques on these side of the road in a trashcan. I won't forget her heartbreak... and that was so luckily WITHOUT anyone getting hurt.

Me? I use grease liberally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just installed an over greasing sensor..If I over do it the sensor will light up on dash

On a serious note, what grease do you guys use?

is this good?
Thats good grease. I use the Lucas red and tacky on my machine. The green stuff is really good if you are in water a lot too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have 1942 miles and never have greased them. Upon reading this topic for the first time today, I'm very surprised that some guys are doing it every 400 miles. I definitely wouldn't be able to afford that, because I don't do it myself.

My Maverick is in the Ride Now shop right now for upgrades and preventative maintenance. One thing they're supposed to do is a quick health check on the bearings when it's up in the air, basically trying to wiggle the wheels from what I was told. Is this sufficient?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
The only thing a dealership is gonna “check” is the box that says they checked it. Good luck relying on them to do maintenance on your buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only thing a dealership is gonna “check” is the box that says they checked it. Good luck relying on them to do maintenance on your buggy

They've only done about 25 things for me PERFECTLY.......that's all. Also, my Service Advisor told me they had 100 current customers in the queue.

What I'm looking for by asking the question is a little more intelligent reply or strategy. I have no problem being a guy who doesn't want to work on them myself.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
You literally just said you don’t work on your own machine. Hmmm well maybe you should ask an intelligent question because you’ve already answered your own. What the hell is a service advisor ? If your service advisor is so good then why would want to even check their work?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just another NONSENSE schizophrenic Dizzledog post like usual. Keep em coming DA!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
371 Posts
I have 1942 miles and never have greased them. Upon reading this topic for the first time today, I'm very surprised that some guys are doing it every 400 miles. I definitely wouldn't be able to afford that, because I don't do it myself.

My Maverick is in the Ride Now shop right now for upgrades and preventative maintenance. One thing they're supposed to do is a quick health check on the bearings when it's up in the air, basically trying to wiggle the wheels from what I was told. Is this sufficient?
Bearings are pretty easy for a hour or 2 side project on the weekend. 19mm for the lugs, small screw driver for the caps (stock rims) needle nose for the cotter pin, 30mm for the castle nuts, and a 15mm wrench for the calipers, grease gun, and greaser.
Can honestly be done in 45 minutes once you get it down. You also get to inspect everything else when your under there and grease the other points.

Not sure why everyone doesn’t do their own wrenching. I look forward to it every weekend. My relaxation.

Dealership will never touch my buggy.

Wiggling the half ass version of checking, could be 4 other issues causing it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bearings are pretty easy for a hour or 2 side project on the weekend. 19mm for the lugs, small screw driver for the caps (stock rims) needle nose for the cotter pin, 30mm for the castle nuts, and a 15mm wrench for the calipers, grease gun, and greaser.
Can honestly be done in 45 minutes once you get it down. You also get to inspect everything else when your under there and grease the other points.

Not sure why everyone doesn’t do their own wrenching. I look forward to it every weekend. My relaxation.

Dealership will never touch my buggy.

Wiggling the half ass version of checking, could be 4 other issues causing it.
Thanks for an excellent reply.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
317 Posts
Not everyone can wrench on their own machine. Disability or maybe they don't store it at there own home, time is money so maybe someone makes more money with their time etc. Heck or maybe someone has wrenched on their machines their whole life and if they can afford it then why not pay someone else to do the dirty work.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts