Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of having a guy here hydro graphic the yellow plastics. Haven't decided on a design yet but was wondering if anyone else has tried this yet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's called "water transfer printing". It a way to put graphic designs like skulls or camo etc onto a surface. There are some neat designs. It would set my maverick apart from others and is usually quite a bit cheaper than paint.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Also eBay has sum full body graphic kits !

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I always figured it was more expensive than paint, so I've never looked into it. I'll have to check it out. I thought I saw someone on a thread recently say that it's not as strong as paint though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It gets an automotive style clear on top. I've heard it is just as strong if not stronger.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It gets an automotive style clear on top. I've heard it is just as strong if not stronger.
It is stronger than paint. This is something that I have been looking into. There are two guys at my wifes work (Sheriffs department) That have been doing smaller items like guns stocks and things of that size. They have recently upgraded their equipment and are expanding their abilities! Definately a good way to go as far as strength and ability to withstand some abuse..

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now that I know what it's called. I had this done to all of my trim on the Motorhome. Turned it from wood look to graphite. I saw a stack of samples at the paint shop ( tiger skin/money/graphite/wood of all kinds etc;) in Indiana, were i was having the Bus painted. I did not like the fake wood look so changed it. After it was installed I was installing a GPS bracket and spilled gorilla glue on it. Though I was going to have a bad spot but when it dried I popped the glue off with a razor blade and no marks. Its tough. 1 yr later looks great. It's not cheap but looks great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
actually the base of the hydro dipped item is automotive paint, thats the color that shows through the graphic. we will be doing some different powdercoating and graphics on our rig

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
There is guy on the Teryx forum named Sandjunkie that does this process. He is located somewhere nearbanning area I believe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to get mine done but have heard that the plastics on the Maverick have some sort of a chemical in them that is making the Hydrodip peel on the edges after wahile... My friend just got his done so I am gunna see how good his holds up before I decide to do it. Also I know another guy that got his done and he said the shop that did it heated all of his plastics up before they dipped it which supposedly burns the chemical agent out of them. He said after the heated them up the platsics no longer had the gloss on them and were dull and then prepped them for the dipping. Im no expert on any of this just saying what Ive heard so far.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I was going to get mine done but have heard that the plastics on the Maverick have some sort of a chemical in them that is making the Hydrodip peel on the edges after wahile... My friend just got his done so I am gunna see how good his holds up before I decide to do it. Also I know another guy that got his done and he said the shop that did it heated all of his plastics up before they dipped it which supposedly burns the chemical agent out of them. He said after the heated them up the platsics no longer had the gloss on them and were dull and then prepped them for the dipping. Im no expert on any of this just saying what Ive heard so far.
i was talking to a guy who painted his commander. he said they had to take a torch and heat up the plastics to bring the mold release agent out before painting it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They may be peeling just do to bad prep who knows...

·
Registered
51 Posts
i was talking to a guy who painted his commander. he said they had to take a torch and heat up the plastics to bring the mold release agent out before painting it.
Makes sense

1 - 18 of 18 Posts