Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put 32" terms on and a clutch kit, seems like now, ever time I slowly go up a hill, it smells like the belt is smoking, I am not on the gas heavy at all, just slightly to where it climbs, I,know the smell can't be safe, any ideas or solutions? Thsnks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
need details on the "clutch kit". Also, are you in low gear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a dalton clutch kit, primary and secondary springs, and I'm in low gear just barely creeping, happens when i give it a little throttle to go up certain steeper parts of different hills or rocks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
can you tell what your engagement RPM is? The stock primary doesn't give you a lot of belt grip especially just off of engagement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't have the stock primary spring in it if that's what you mean, but idk the exact rpms but its real low, and it creeps when impish the gas, just starts smelling when I give it a small rhomp in some parts of a hill

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It doesn't have the stock primary spring in it if that's what you mean, but idk the exact rpms but its real low, and it creeps when impish the gas, just starts smelling when I give it a small rhomp in some parts of a hill
I understand what your saying....and the stock clutch in general does not apply a lot of force on the belt. I am sure you can improve this with adjustable weights with added weight at the base but part of the problem is the large diameter of the one-way bearing. The aftermarket clutches all have smaller bearings which translates into a lower starting gear ratio. so less load on the clutches/belt at low RPM's and at engagement. I know it isn't a fix but some folks have had good success with roughening up the surface of their clutch sheaves with a scotchbrite pad or some very fine grit sandpaper. But ultimately, the true fix for the larger tires is an aftermarket primary.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you bet..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts