Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the demo at Sand Mountain, I can't stop thinking about the Maverick. The dealer says any day now....

One of the things that concerns me about the Can-Am is that the drivetrain is almost completely hidden from view. How difficult is an oil change? Valve adjustment? Belt swap trail side?

My 800 S isn't the easiest to swap the belt on, but 30-40 min trail side is acceptable. I was hearing talk of 3 hours to get a Commander belt swapped and back on the trail?

·
Registered
487 Posts
After the demo at Sand Mountain, I can't stop thinking about the Maverick. The dealer says any day now....

One of the things that concerns me about the Can-Am is that the drivetrain is almost completely hidden from view. How difficult is an oil change? Valve adjustment? Belt swap trail side?

My 800 S isn't the easiest to swap the belt on, but 30-40 min trail side is acceptable. I was hearing talk of 3 hours to get a Commander belt swapped and back on the trail?
ive had a commander and if you have an 8mm wrench i carried an (impact) optional! but theres gona be diffrent debates about this but screw! those access holes to get the bolts out of the cvt cover. i always dropped the small skid . at least on the commander the skids where divided up into sections and i dropped the appropriate 1 and viola! once you guys have taken the push pins that hold interior out a few times they get worn enough theyr really really easy to take in and out, and u just flat get better at doin it. i never had to change my belt on the trail but i did go into the cover several times tuning my clutch and what not. in the trail is diffrent than in the shop, so id say even laying in the sticks i could have done it in 40-45 mins. if i had my ratcheting 8mm wrench and my impact !

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched a video on you tube and it really didn't look that much more difficult than the RZR except for more body panel to remove. The impact really didn't shave that much time off. I turn a wrench for a living, so I may be faster than average anyway.

I guess maybe the belts are holding up in these beasts? No reports of failures yet that I can see.

I smelled something rubbery burning on the demo ride and figured it was the belt, so it got me wondering.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess now I need to work a deal?

They offered to take my 2011 RZR 800SLE and $11,800 for an XRS....

I think I can do a little better.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not good, u should list it on craigslist or something. I'm still seeing them for 9 or 10 around the house, good luck

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've bin in and out of my commanders belt area many times so I'm pretty good at it and my belt blew , it took me about 45min and I didn't put anything back together. It was 10:30 on a Sunday night on my way home, so I said hell with it ill take care of the rest another day at home....sucks dealing with that belt!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the Belt Cover off my Maverick so I could wrap the exhaust pipe. It is about the same as a Commander, It does have small two inch holes to get at the bolts on the bottom. I found it easier to completly take off the skid plate. But it was in the garage and not on the trail or dunes. The primary Clutch looked much bigger than I recall my Commander having.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Btw I can change a belt on a commander in about 45 mins. Pull the plastic rivets 12 or so bolts on clutch cover, separator bolt, swap them out put back together, really nothin to it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Btw I can change a belt on a commander in about 45 mins. Pull the plastic rivets 12 or so bolts on clutch cover, separator bolt, swap them out put back together, really nothin to it
I would say really nothing to it on the xp......and really a lot to it on the com and mav..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the belt off our Maverick this weekend. It's the same procedure as the Commander but a little easier w/the bigger service holes in the skid plate. The secondary appears to be the same but w/a 650 helix, the primary is the same size but different, looks like they would still be interchangeable. The hat is built different, weights appear to be the same style, sliders are set up a little different , and belt is definitely different. Same size but a different material, lot more pliable. Oh and it has 2 belt exhausts. One just like the Commander and another coming off the front of the outside cover, so heat shouldn't be an issue. Only added a few extra seconds to removing the cover. Snorkeling it is gonna be fun

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I hope I don't have to replace the belt for awhile.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I had the belt off our Maverick this weekend. It's the same procedure as the Commander but a little easier w/the bigger service holes in the skid plate. The secondary appears to be the same but w/a 650 helix, the primary is the same size but different, looks like they would still be interchangeable. The hat is built different, weights appear to be the same style, sliders are set up a little different , and belt is definitely different. Same size but a different material, lot more pliable. Oh and it has 2 belt exhausts. One just like the Commander and another coming off the front of the outside cover, so heat shouldn't be an issue. Only added a few extra seconds to removing the cover. Snorkeling it is gonna be fun
650 helix? Are you sure its the same helix as. A outlander 650? Just because if have a high hp quad you dont use a 650 helix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts