Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month me and some friends are heading there was wondering what its like? We've never playd in the sand were from southern wi. Does anyone know if its fine to just sleep at the dunes? We dont want to get a motel if we don't have to. If anyone has tips and info please post it

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm from southeast Michigan and have gone to Silver Lake Sand Dunes the last few years. I usually rode quads there. This will be my first year with a side x side. It's a beautiful and fun place to rise. There is no dune like it in the Midwest. The next closest dune any better would probably be Little Sahara in Oklahoma. Go to www.thinkdunes.com for more info. Also go to the DNR website and review the rules and requirements of Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I don't think you can sleep at the dunes. There are many camp grounds as well as motels very close by.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Was just there last weekend with my Mav. You will have a blast. No you cant sleep on the dunes, but like MIMav said, there are many campgrounds with a few miles of the dunes. I do not suggest silver hills campground, they have new owners and the bathrooms were so stinky it almost made you puke to even walk by them. I recommend staying at Silver Lake State park. If you plan on going on the weekend, be aware that they have a voucher system and you will need a voucher whether it be to get into the parking lot if you are towing a trailer, or if your Maverick is street legal you can get a dune ready voucher. The vouchers are given out the night before at 9pm, and people will line there vehicles up at 630am to assure themselves a spot. I dont think you will have that much of a problem as long as you are going on a non holiday weekend. Most people think you can just get right into the dunes, but that is not the case. They get very busy and the vouchers are the only way they can regulate how many people can get in as to not overdrowd the dunes.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Good to know about Silver Hills. I stayed at Silver Lake Resort & Campground and had a great time. Clean bathrooms. I also have stayed at Sierra Sands Family Lodge. Clean Roons as well. Had a good experience there. You have to mount a flag on the front of your vehicle and have a ORV sticker. The top of the flag must be 10 feet minimum to the ground when mounted to the vehicle. There is a atv shop right next door to the sand dunes where you can purchase flags and mounts. The mounts are just steel strip with a clamp and a hole to mount flag. Nothing special that you couldn't make yourself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Been going there for 16 years now. Used to ride quads. Then a rzr4. Now I pick up my Maverick Max tomorrow. Then headed over on the 25th

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Been going there for 16 years now. Used to ride quads. Then a rzr4. Now I pick up my Maverick Max tomorrow. Then headed over on the 25th
Shoot. It would have been cool to see a forum member ride a Max. I am going to be there on July 22-23 and possibly part of the day on the 24th. Not sure though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me and a buddy are going but we have to 450s and the mav. Will i have any trouble switching threw the day or should i just leave the ds home

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
No problem at all. There is a huge parking lot. You park your truck and trailer there. You can ride back to the parking lot and switch toys. You do all this without leaving the park.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Each of those toys you bring in the park must have a ORV sticker, park pass and a 10 foot flag.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I should say you could switch flags too if you want. They don't check flags at entrance of park only orv sticker and park pass. They check flag height just before you enter sand dune area.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
This is true. That's why I just bought my flags from the atv shop which is right next door to the dunes. In fact, there are at least 4 stores i know of in that area that sell the flags. I would just buy it there. Shipping a 10 ft flag will not be cheap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It also has to be on the Front of the Maverick. With the quads its ok to be on the rear grab bar. And unfortunately unless you have an aftermarket bumper there is no mounting location on the front or the maverick so you will have to either fab up a mount yourself or use one of the universal brackets they sell at David Allen Racing the shop next to the entrance

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well there is a cross bar on the bumper to use a universal mount. A flat metal plate with a u bolt to fit the 1 1/2 inch bar and drill a 1/2 inch hole and thats It. That's what the shop next door sells. You will also want to get the foam pole protector that covers part of the flag pole so you don't damage your grille or hood. The shop sells them too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well there is a cross bar on the bumper to use a universal mount. A flat metal plate with a u bolt to fit the 1 1/2 inch bar and drill a 1/2 inch hole and thats It. That's what the shop next door sells. You will also want to get the foam pole protector that covers part of the flag pole so you don't damage your grille or hood. The shop sells them too.
I guess I am just anal with my toys. If you put one of those universal bars with the U-clamp it will for sure crush the bar down in turn making it look like shit. And I dont think the clamps they carry will fit around that bar anyway. The one that I bought from there for my truck, which is also designed to clamp to an ATV grab bar will only fit around a ~1" pipe. The cross bar on the front bumper is much bigger then that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts