Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disappointed with the factory finish on the frame and a-arms. I bought the machine maybe 2 weeks ago... I have had it out a few times now and already the black factory finish appears to be a permanent matte grey color.. Like it's lost it's protective shiny clear coat. With some buffing it will shine up a little but what is this going to look like in a few years?

I haven't used any harsh chemicals to wash it. Actually I've only used the power washer.

I noticed the day I picked it up from the dealer that the a-arms were more dull than the rest of the frame. Since then it's gotten worse and the frame is now showing some fading.

You can see the axles must not have went through the same coating process as they are still like you would expect.

I have owned a lot of machines and I have never had this happen to the finish. I've had vintage bikes that would shine like new

Is this normal for this machine? Who else has noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have had mine for 3 months now and I haven't noticed any fading at all. When I clean it up, everything is as shiny as it was when I bought it. What are you using as a detergent to wash it? Do you have some pics???

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have had mine since Dec 2012 and no problems like this

·
Registered
502 Posts
May 13 not a bit of fading but the plastic is all Scratched up n I like it

·
Registered
410 Posts
Waaa, my off road vehicle is dirty. Waaaaa

Gezz, I just don't understand some peoples mothers children.
He didn't say it was dirty, he said the color was fading and it seems to me that you've put a lot of work into the "color"! of your off road toy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i had been meaning to post about this same thing... i own two maverick's, one 2013 and one 2014. the very first ride i went on with my 2013 we went through the brush and wiped all of the powder coating off of the a-arms, i was riding with 5 other polaris rzr's and we went through the same trail and their a- arms still looked like new. i owned rzr xp 900's before these maverick's and had over 4000 miles on each of them and same riding conditions, the frame/ and a-arms were still black, not nearly as worn as this maverick after the first ride... since i have taken wire lume and wrapped the a-arms to help save them, but not to impressed with can am powder coat.

with that said, that is my only complaint with them so far, still like them better than the rzr...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He didn't say it was dirty, he said the color was fading and it seems to me that you've put a lot of work into the "color"! of your off road toy.
Bingo!

This guy has a ridiculous remark for everything. Real class act and an asset to the forum... Doesn't he have something WHITE to go paint??? Looks soooo good BTW....:shocked:

This about a finish that appears to be failing.

No detergents were used when I washed it - just water from the power washer. I will inquire with the dealer when I take it in for my first service.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i had been meaning to post about this same thing... i own two maverick's, one 2013 and one 2014. the very first ride i went on with my 2013 we went through the brush and wiped all of the powder coating off of the a-arms, i was riding with 5 other polaris rzr's and we went through the same trail and their a- arms still looked like new. i owned rzr xp 900's before these maverick's and had over 4000 miles on each of them and same riding conditions, the frame/ and a-arms were still black, not nearly as worn as this maverick after the first ride... since i have taken wire lume and wrapped the a-arms to help save them, but not to impressed with can am powder coat.

with that said, that is my only complaint with them so far, still like them better than the rzr...
Interesting. You can clearly see the difference in powder coat in the pics above. Axle vs A-arm

Was yours a base model or XRS?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
what is your VIN....would like to see if we can correlate this to possibly a bad batch of powder coating by seeing if everyone that is affected has close to the same VIN. I doubt Can Am will do anything but always nice to know what happened...

·
Registered
278 Posts
the other maverick that was on display at the dealer outside was faded like you are describing BRAND NEW!! it was on display outside... the plastics were not faded, just the frame and black parts that should have been powder coated

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it seems like the mud has ate the shine everywhere it has touched the frame and A-arms. The front bumper still has the same shine the axles do.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
weird mines from jan,9 and still looks new

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine is 4 months old and look like shit, I use simple green and that's it. If they are powder coated that is the worst job I ever seen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Bingo!

This guy has a ridiculous remark for everything. Real class act and an asset to the forum... Doesn't he have something WHITE to go paint??? Looks soooo good BTW....:shocked:

This about a finish that appears to be failing.

No detergents were used when I washed it - just water from the power washer. I will inquire with the dealer when I take it in for my first service.
Oh crap... Did u say first service? Wow that should not be happing.
Listen last time we went to Mud Muckers there was some super kriptonite mud there. It Stained my truck paint yup now I have a ghost mud pattern on my beautiful Black truck. Man that pissed me off n all I did was drive threw a small bit my tires stick out to far and got some on the side of the truck, got home n washed it to find my new ghost mud paint job. But with that said the a arms weren't stained one bit. I have really went threw some nasty stuff n all good still no chipping not even scratches. So something went wrong I would hit my dealer with that situation.... Good Luck man

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine is 4 months old and look like shit, I use simple green and that's it. If they are powder coated that is the worst job I ever seen.
So yours looks like mine? Faded out and shine gone....?

It'll be interesting to see what the dealer says when I bring it in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts