Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Commander and pretty much every other commander, the spherical bearings on the top and bottom of the shocks didn't have any grease. The bolts would rust and the bearings would seize up or squeak bad. Anyone check theirs?

My maverick hit the dealer today and I just wondered if I need to grease them when it shows up.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My wife's rzr squeaked really bad till I pulled all the shocks off and greased them. I was gonna check the Mav, but it doesn't squeak at all, so I haven't checked.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, it takes a while usually. I will check mine when I get it. The bad thing is, once they rust its a pain to free them up and sometimes you need new bolts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 8 hours on mine and just now the front left squeaks like an old farm truck. I guess I need to check this out

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have not noticed any squeaking on mine but I guess I'l need to pay more attention to it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
can we spray them will a Teflon or silicone spray ? or do we need to remove them and grease with bearing grease?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
can we spray them will a Teflon or silicone spray ? or do we need to remove them and grease with bearing grease?
It's been tried on the rzrs for years, and it doesn't work very well. Better to remove the shocks, take out the spacers and orings at the shock end, and grease it up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You guys just using regular bearing grease. I don't want mine to start sounding like my buddies Razr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So it's the bolt where it mounts squeeking? I thought it was the shock shaft itself. Haven't really investigated it. Never squeeks when it's sitting there and I'm through doing my normal checks on it so I never think about it till I hit the trail. I wonder what the chance would be of drilling it and tapping it for a grease zert? Anyone tried this? Enough meat there to do it? I'll look tomorow and see what the chances are.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So it's the bolt where it mounts squeeking? I thought it was the shock shaft itself. Haven't really investigated it. Never squeeks when it's sitting there and I'm through doing my normal checks on it so I never think about it till I hit the trail. I wonder what the chance would be of drilling it and tapping it for a grease zert? Anyone tried this? Enough meat there to do it? I'll look tomorow and see what the chances are.
I think it's easier to just pull the shock and grease them. It takes a while for them to dry out again it's not something you have to do after every ride by any means.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
The O-ring keeps them somewhat sealed so junk doesn't get in there too bad. Any kind of grease is better than them being dry. I generally just use marine wheel bearing grease or Lucas out of the grease gun.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both my rears squeak like mad...both rears on commander did also. Dealer never did anything about it. What's the exact procedure for fixing this? Someone should do a writeup.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Both my rears squeak like mad...both rears on commander did also. Dealer never did anything about it. What's the exact procedure for fixing this? Someone should do a writeup.
1. Jack up and support vehicle
2. Remove bolts that hold on shock.
3. Remove shocks
4. Remove Orings at shock pivot ends
5. Apply grease to pivot ball, move ball around to get grease inside. It will not fall, you cannot damage it by hand. Use plenty.
6. Install Orings
7. Install shocks and mounting bolts.
8. Lower vehicle and go ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine were super dry, loud and embarassing. Having dry joints will effect the suspension, especially on the small supple bumps. It takes about an hour to do all four properly. I use Royal Purple waterproof grease available at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine was dry and squeaking pretty bad, pulled mine apart and like everyone else, dry as a bone. Took mine off pulled the spacers and o-rings out and filled them full of grease, no more squeaking

1 - 20 of 54 Posts