Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I realize that the manufacture can not cater to every riding style and terrain environment. It seems that the shocks on the X3 and all other UTVs for that matter are never even close to any ones riding style or terrain conditions out of the box. It is ludicrist to have to spend another 2 grand to get very expensive shocks to work. Just WTF are they thinking? And yes Can am this is directed to you in particular. You offer a rock crawler model that you know dam well that it's whole purpose in life is slow speed and yet you provide shocks that are not even remotely valved and/or sprung for this environment and yet your MSRP is 30 thousand bucks, really! It is obvious that no one is going to be flying thru the rocks at 70 MPH so why not take that extra few hours during manufacturing to valve them correctly. Yeah I know it's more parts to stock however for what you want for these machines why not please your customer base. Here's an ideal give the people that spend the 2Gs on getting the shocks done a friggen rebate for the troubles, seeing that you do not want to be bothered with it! Rant Off!

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
I realize that the manufacture can not cater to every riding style and terrain environment. It seems that the shocks on the X3 and all other UTVs for that matter are never even close to any ones riding style or terrain conditions out of the box. It is ludicrist to have to spend another 2 grand to get very expensive shocks to work. Just WTF are they thinking? And yes Can am this is directed to you in particular. You offer a rock crawler model that you know dam well that it's whole purpose in life is slow speed and yet you provide shocks that are not even remotely valved and/or sprung for this environment and yet your MSRP is 30 thousand bucks, really! It is obvious that no one is going to be flying thru the rocks at 70 MPH so why not take that extra few hours during manufacturing to valve them correctly. Yeah I know it's more parts to stock however for what you want for these machines why not please your customer base. Here's an ideal give the people that spend the 2Gs on getting the shocks done a friggen rebate for the troubles, seeing that you do not want to be bothered with it! Rant Off!
Rough morning?

Reactions: Shoe757

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Ha! Ha! No just stating the truth as I see it. It's to bad it falls on death ears!
Yeah, we all know it, but what can you do. Most manufacturers have a general setting they go by, and expect us to modify to our own settings. Sucks, but it is what it is. Now go buy one, LOL.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Can-am did not setup the shocks to cater to any particular riding style. They set the shocks up to “stop stupid” and keep these things off their lid. You can imagine corporate lawyers had a lot of say in how these cars were setup. Yes it sucks but its a reality of the sue happy society we live in.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That's just it, I did buy one! I don't have an issue dialing in my suspension as I have been doing it for many years. The problem is if the valving is not within the range of the design application then they are of very little use. The valving on the X3 XRS is designed for high speed out west so it's probably work somewhat for most people that buy them. It sounds like the same valving is being used on the rock crawler model and that's the rub for me. An Application specific design should follow the intent of design. I am a retired Engineer that spent 30 years doing just that! So many times the bean counters wanted to use devices on HVAC equipment that were designed for a different system that will not work. There was always time to take it out later and install what worked at a much greater expense however there was never enough time to do it right the first time. So yeah this is a pet peeve for me! I just typically do not say much , well maybe I am having a bad moment lol

·
Premium Member
7,668 Posts
Before you throw an internal rod over it, wait till you get the machine, make your adjustments, and drive the thing. I'm guessing you'll be all smiles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
***UPDATE*** I made the recommended adjustments. Well I couldn't find specific settings for the spring preload, so I cranked all the preload adjusters down 7 turns which turns out to be just over an inch. I also spun the crossovers down the same amount. I set all the compressions settings almost all the way soft and set the rebound right in the middle. I also disconnected the front sway bar. Just took it out in the same choppy wash and if I had to put a number on it I'd say its 50% better! Thanks for the (mostly) constructive advice. The thing handles like a race car and simply hauls a$$. I think a trip to the suspension shop is still in my future because I ride a lot of rocks and like it plush. But I've got a new outlook, the machine is flat awesome and looking forward to personalizing it. I do agree with the post above from the retired engineer however. They sell this as rock crawler. Make the damn thing work in that kind of environment! So thanks again to those who added something constructive to this thread.

·
Premium Member
8,528 Posts
I would suggest using limitstraps in the front if you don’t run with your swaybar connected. The shocks make a horrible noise when they fully extend quickly. I can’t remember what company sells it but it’s inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
***UPDATE*** I made the recommended adjustments. Well I couldn't find specific settings for the spring preload, so I cranked all the preload adjusters down 7 turns which turns out to be just over an inch. I also spun the crossovers down the same amount. I set all the compressions settings almost all the way soft and set the rebound right in the middle. I also disconnected the front sway bar. Just took it out in the same choppy wash and if I had to put a number on it I'd say its 50% better! Thanks for the (mostly) constructive advice. The thing handles like a race car and simply hauls a$$. I think a trip to the suspension shop is still in my future because I ride a lot of rocks and like it plush. But I've got a new outlook, the machine is flat awesome and looking forward to personalizing it. I do agree with the post above from the retired engineer however. They sell this as rock crawler. Make the damn thing work in that kind of environment! So thanks again to those who added something constructive to this thread.
Glad to see you're getting the hang of it. It only gets better from here on out!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This is great to hear..
Guess I won't be making a trip to pick it up

Go out and have some fun.. enjoy the rocks and keep learning.

That way when we are finally ready to upgrade from our 15' XDS next year to a RC I will hopefully know all the items I need to add.

Sent from BLR Logistics

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well I just got back from an epic all day 75 mile ride in the very rough Bradshaw mountains. First of all, I found out that I spun the crossovers the wrong way. I ran them down and should have run them up. So I'll fix that. But I guess I did jump the gun too fast. Now that I've done the adjustments I described above and have broken the thing in for a few rides, it really is awesome. Could it be plusher? Yes. But does it handle everything I threw at it with nothing more than a yawn? Yes indeed. Blurry fast, very sexy, completely equipped and ready to roost. Thanks for listening to my whining and of course for the help. Verdict: game changer!

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Well I just got back from an epic all day 75 mile ride in the very rough Bradshaw mountains. First of all, I found out that I spun the crossovers the wrong way. I ran them down and should have run them up. So I'll fix that. But I guess I did jump the gun too fast. Now that I've done the adjustments I described above and have broken the thing in for a few rides, it really is awesome. Could it be plusher? Yes. But does it handle everything I threw at it with nothing more than a yawn? Yes indeed. Blurry fast, very sexy, completely equipped and ready to roost. Thanks for listening to my whining and of course for the help. Verdict: game changer!

Glad to see you're loving it. Glad to see you're not giving us your RZR had better suspension comparisons anymore too, LOL!

Reactions: Odyknuck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can-am did not setup the shocks to cater to any particular riding style. They set the shocks up to “stop stupid” and keep these things off their lid. You can imagine corporate lawyers had a lot of say in how these cars were setup. Yes it sucks but its a reality of the sue happy society we live in.
Its all about liability. Yes they are tuned to stop "stupid".

Don't forget we were too stupid to ride three wheelers!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts