Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 'em all since the first 660 Rhino. With high hopes, I just plunked down the cash for a super sexy brand new X3 XRC. I absolutely love the package with all the skid plates, full doors, winch, cool blue accents, roof, bead locks etc, etc, etc. And you want to talk about blurry fast?! Wow! But I just took the thing for a shack down run down a choppy, chatter bump sand wash and I thought my teeth were going to fall out. I stopped and messed around with clickers several times and it helped some, but still WAY too rough.
I've seen the videos on the shock setting with the preload adjustments and that is my next move, but man, I hope it makes a huge difference. If not, give me back my RZR. I hate to spend this kind of money and then have to take it to a suspension shop. My understanding was, that with all this travel, these things rode like butter. Any real world feedback? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
Real world feedback? Yeah, you have to adjust the shocks. First, welcome from Tucson AZ and congrats. Pound Sand has a thread that has easily 20 pages to it. It will describe what needs to be done. If you really think that a RZR drives better, well...........

Reactions: BLR and sandfreak

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I hear you guys right, you're saying that if I do the Fox shock settings with the proper preload, then I will get a fantastic ride quality improvement. I'll will of course do and thanks. What's this Pound Sand thing? Another forum? Thanks for this and any other feed back. As far as RZR riding better, my bone stock 2014 1000 is way smoother and plusher over rough terrain. So I'd like to get this rig even better than the RZR of course. Thanks again and I'll stay tuned...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I couldn’t believe Can Am would send these vehicles out the door with the shocks set to where they had them. I called Fox for their settings for my X3 Max and the way he explained was Can Am has to comply with the federal rollover standards. A little time adjusting springs, HSC, LSC, and rebound and rides way better!

·
Premium Member
7,605 Posts
The car was made to drive fast. Once you adjust the shocks where fox intended them to be, it will make big hits feel like nothing. However, some of the small chop will still be there. It wasn't made to putt around, drive faster and you wont feel them. This car is lightyears ahead of any rzr currently out. Poundsand is a member, he started a thread with some very good shock info in it. Can be found with a search. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
So if I hear you guys right, you're saying that if I do the Fox shock settings with the proper preload, then I will get a fantastic ride quality improvement. I'll will of course do and thanks. What's this Pound Sand thing? Another forum? Thanks for this and any other feed back. As far as RZR riding better, my bone stock 2014 1000 is way smoother and plusher over rough terrain. So I'd like to get this rig even better than the RZR of course. Thanks again and I'll stay tuned...
Pound Sand is one of the 3 Supporting Vendors on here that do suspension running. Click the forum tab, and that will take you to all the sub sections. Scroll down to Ed the Suspension Guy, find the thread, start reading. It's a great thread. Lots of member feedback, tips, hints.

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
And take a big breath, and relax. You have an X3, way better than any car out there. You will need to make some adjustments. If it still isn't right, you might need springs or valving, but just setting up ride height is crucial.

Reactions: sandfreak

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow , well it sounds like your no new comer to the SXS world, I'm sure with your other machines you had to do so adjustments, I adjusted mine before the first right, I watched the Fox video, and went from there.
I was picking up some parts from Can Am dealer, and saw all the crossovers adjusted all the way down to the plastic bumper on a brand new 18' Xrs, so you never know how they have been setup. One thing for sure is they do ride rough in small sand chatter bumps. Hope you get that thing worked out, congrats on the new ride, and welcome from Lincoln Ca.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Fantastic ride is a stretch after the adjustments. It will certainly improve the ride significantly over the stock settings. Ed “Poundsand” did some adjustments to my compression and rebound adjustments when I was in Glamis and it helped a lot.

I have not taken it in the dirt yet to see how the car feels.

Bottom line is slow riding in the X3 over choppy ground sucks. The faster you drive the better it will get.

If you want a fantastic ride, then be prepared to plunk down some money to a shock tuner of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic ride is a stretch after the adjustments. It will certainly improve the ride significantly over the stock settings. Ed “Poundsand” did some adjustments to my compression and rebound adjustments when I was in Glamis and it helped a lot.

I have not taken it in the dirt yet to see how the car feels.

Bottom line is slow riding in the X3 over choppy ground sucks. The faster you drive the better it will get.

If you want a fantastic ride, then be prepared to plunk down some money to a shock tuner of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll do the spring adjustments and report back. I'd hate to throw down all this dough, then have to turn around and spend thousands more so my fillings don't fall out. With this kind of travel, this thing should float over chop.

·
Registered
400 Posts
sounds like the first ATK, the harder it was ridden the better it rode and handled.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Since XRC was designed for slow speed rock crawling, it would stand to reason the factory would have used different shock valving. Based on this thread highly unlikely, right!

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
I'll do the spring adjustments and report back. I'd hate to throw down all this dough, then have to turn around and spend thousands more so my fillings don't fall out. With this kind of travel, this thing should float over chop.
Doesn't quite work that way. It will float over whoops, and large holes, but chop is rough for any stock shock. A stock shock without proper springs, and better valving can't cycle quick enough to perform.

I have news for you, even a resprung, revalved shock still won't be perfect. These are off road cars, not a Benz or a Cadillac.

Reactions: MCI and mgrotel
1 - 20 of 55 Posts