Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Anybody using an Octane Booster

15K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  jknapier 
#1 · (Edited)
I run Boostane Professional in my C7 Z06 as the California gas is crap. I mix it for 94 octane and I can big time tell the difference. The ECU really pulls timing when it's hot out or running it hard on 91 alone.
I am going to run the Evo tune 3 or 3R if I increase the octane. I would rather use Boostane than trying to mix Av or race gas to raise octane.

2020 X3 RS RR

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I have a 3R tune in one car, a 3 in the other. I use premium, and I doubt AZ gas is any different from Cali gas. They run good. I read somewhere that California, Arizona, and Nevada all use a "watered down" premium. Our 91 is like everybody else's 89. I thought I read on here EVO advised against a booster? I would give EVO a shout to confirm.

Reactions: jknapier
#3 ·
I used vp octane booster all the time with my 3rwi tune with no issues. Just mix correct ratios. When I talked to evo they told me they didn’t like boosters because of the inequality of different octane boosters and the human error of not mixing correctly and didn’t wanna see people blowing up motors due to that reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Why would you rather use boosters vs mixing race gas? I found most of them leave orange deposits in your exhaust from MMT. Generally seems that fouls plugs quicker. Curious to know others thoughts on this. I ran one bottle of VP Octanium in mine and it looks like somebody spray painted the exhaust side of my turbo pumpkin orange. This is the same for Torco, Boostane, etc that all use MMT.

#12 ·
If you know how your booster needs to be mixed with your 91 fuel per gallon then it works just fine. I used booster for years and properly mix to get 91 to 95 is simple and safe when done correctly. When I set my car to 100 octane I use 100 right out the pump here in Az but if I'm not near a station that carries it I simply add the correct booster and the car runs the exact same rpms and makes the same power. I never use a booster only if I'm running 100 octane tune but then again my car never has just pure 91 octane in it.

Reactions: jknapier
#14 ·
I've read that Boostane and VP Octanium are the two "newer" blends that work better. I've recently used the VP Octanium with decent results. Number of posts from the Corvette and GTR forums that show what Torco and the other high MMT concentrate brand leave deposits. Boostane actually has a comparison video showing how bad this is. I actually emailed VP about this awhile back and the engineer I spoke with actually mentioned mixing VP110 is likely preferred over any booster. I asked about 110 since I can get that local and mix with ethanol free 92.

#19 ·
VP madative octane booster also would get you what you need. I always mix in the can and use a ratio cup to keep things consistent. You don't need much per 5 gallons to get you what you need. Av gas / 91 octane could also get you there as well 1.5 gal AV / 3.5 gal 91

#23 ·
I'm not sure how you arrive at that. You even posted the thread where Jim says the proper octane booster is fine.

If you buy Torco Race fuel and I suspect others may be as well it is made from 91 octane fuel mixed with the accelerator to produce the fuel you buy in 55 gallon drums as 100 OCTANE FUEL.

VP and Torco both sell race fuel used by novice and full blown race teams AND both sell an octane booster they stand behind.

I am still not seeing the problem with octane booster. . Tim

#32 ·
This was over a long weekend at the dunes so, yes. I wasn’t intentionally putting it in the sun but I also didn’t care to sleep with it in my bedroom...

Maybe I could have cared for it better, selected a better product (even though it was VP), mixed it with different pump gas....but I didn’t.

After all that. I run E85 or tune down and run normal 91 pump.

#36 ·
I used some octane booster this weekend in Glamis. My friend had some Royal Purple octane booster that he gave me to try. My X3 ran great all weekend and I think it helped. It was hot and humid out there on Friday and Saturday. I put enough in to hopefully bump it up to 93 octane. I think I am going to use it this dune season.

Reactions: Tmesic
#37 ·
Too much to read to keep up. But octane boosters are pretty harsh. I tried the vp octanium in my yfz450 and we let the fuel set for a couple days. It ate up the feed hose to the card and made a mess. Lol i dont think i'll put it in my x3 unless i know for certain that ima empty the tank that same day.
Aslo my understanding was that race fuel held up alot longer than regular gas. In my quads when i've left gas in the carbs they have gotten gunky. But with vp fuel never had that issue. Has some sort of fuel stabilizer in it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.