Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone here has experience with pulling a maverick, or any side by side for that matter, on a tow bar behind their truck?

At our local dunes, I have to drive about a mile from the campground to the dune entrance on public roads. We're allowed to pull dune vehicles in on a rigid tow bar. This is an advantage over trailering because it allows you to enter using a "dune ready" voucher, meaning both the truck and the Mav go in the dunes, otherwise you have to get a parking lot voucher in order to park the trailer which can be much more difficult to get.

Moral of the story, I need to rig up a tow bar, as its the cheapest/easiet option versus making the Mav street legal or trailering it to the dunes every day. Have any of you done it? How did you fab up your mounts, and how has it worked out?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
if u needed to pull the maverick 1 mile slow in N , I think it would be fine ,

·
Registered
119 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg here's my setup I had on my rzr for Sliver Lake. It worked pretty good. The mounts on the a-arms was stationary and just put pins through the bar. Hooked up in about 30 seconds. I used the a-arms because there was nothing solid enough on the front of the rzr to mount to. You could probably use the bumper on the Maverick. Just make sure your mount point is as level with your hitch as possible. If it's too low it takes weight off the front tires and it won't follow the tow vehicle very well

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought about mounting to the a-arms. I just ordered a front gusset and am considering building my mounts off of that, will have to see what it looks like when it comes in.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought about mounting to the a-arms. I just ordered a front gusset and am considering building my mounts off of that, will have to see what it looks like when it comes in.
I would mount on the front bumper like a jeep

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update on my tow bar setup. After looking at a number of options I decided to make my tow bar mounts by inserting some 11 gauge 1.25" square tubing into the lower frame rails. They go about 6" into the frame and are bolted through using the lower bumper bolt (had to get a longer one) and also a couple of bolts through the bottom for added stability. I will cap the ends of the tubes and paint them black when done. Towed it around today and it seems to work great, the Maverick tracks behind the truck extremely well. I'm sure there aren't too many people with a need for a Maverick tow bar, but wanted to throw these out there in case anybody is looking to do something similar and struggling with a way to do it.

Need to shorten the pins, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
nice job...looks like it will do the job just fine...is there enough caster to the front wheels that keeps the maverick from drifting around on you?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran it up to about 20 mph and it didn't seem to wander at all, which is really as fast as I need to tow. I suppose when I have the tires aired down for the dunes it may change things a bit, but for the short distance I need to go I'm sure it will get the job done.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
excellent job and way to be innovative...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Great job. Too bad that wouldn't work in Cali, since any vehicle that rolls on the street must be licensed for street use.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the write up I was also trying to think of something as last year it was a pain parking the 35' enclosed in the lot

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Can you mount a 2" hitch reciter on the front and attach that to the truck? Or do you need a wider hook up to keep it from wondering?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts