Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20131206_151537-1.jpg I noticed my tire angled out at the bottom and the spring looks bent. It the same on both sides. I guess its time to replace the springs.I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed theirs.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
looks like you don't have any preload on them but I can see that they do based on where the locking collar is....definetly looks sacked out.....how does it ride?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
yeah mine doesnt look like that.
Has it always looked like this?
Is your spring centered around the shock body? (meaning is the spring coil the same distance on all sides)
Are the threads crossed on your preload adjusters?
Have you checked for any bent parts?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've notice it bottoming out more and more and this past weekend I put my spare tire back on and it was bottoming out on small jumps.I'm assuming the tire looks like that because of the spring sagging.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've notice it bottoming out more and more and this past weekend I put my spare tire back on and it was bottoming out on small jumps.I'm assuming the tire looks like that because of the spring sagging.
I would shoot Alex a message...he mentioned a while back that the OEM coils were not good quality. Do you happen to strap the back down when transporting it? I wonder if the springs are fatigued from being compressed for periods of time??? Just a thought.....I almost wish mine started doing that because it would be a perfect reason to have Alex set me up with his dual spring setup :smile:

Reactions: acorupe and AReed

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah mine doesnt look like that.
Has it always looked like this?
Is your spring centered around the shock body? (meaning is the spring coil the same distance on all sides)
Are the threads crossed on your preload adjusters?
Have you checked for any bent parts?
I just noticed the spring this past weekend.The spring seems to be centered at the top and bottom its almost touching the shock in the middle.I've never adjusted the preload and I can't see anything bent other than the spring.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So your ride height is less without changing the adjustment? and no bent parts? no leaking?
If so, possibly your spring has gone soft.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I just noticed the spring this past weekend.The spring seems to be centered at the top and bottom its almost touching the shock in the middle.I've never adjusted the preload and I can't see anything bent other than the spring.
I don't have my manual handy but see if there is a free length spec for the coil in the manual and then take it off the shock and check. It will tell you if the coil is sacked out or not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would shoot Alex a message...he mentioned a while back that the OEM coils were not good quality. Do you happen to strap the back down when transporting it? I wonder if the springs are fatigued from being compressed for periods of time??? Just a thought.....I almost wish mine started doing that because it would be a perfect reason to have Alex set me up with his dual spring setup :smile:
I don't pull the rear down,I pull it forward against the front of my trailer. I priced some new springs and that told me that they are probably not good quality.( their pretty inexpensive). I'll probably get Alex to do my rears this winter.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't pull the rear down,I pull it forward against the front of my trailer. I priced some new springs and that told me that they are probably not good quality.( their pretty inexpensive). I'll probably get Alex to do my rears this winter.
Thank you Can Am for your poor quality! You just made it easier to justify going with CT Racing's setup :saint:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So your ride height is less without changing the adjustment? and no bent parts? no leaking?
If so, possibly your spring has gone soft.
My ride height is lower. my arms are almost horizontal. I do run 2"spacers and that along with the way I ride has probably taken a toll on the springs.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
In the mean time you can add some preload to it to correct it somewhat but make sure you don't put too much or you could damage the shock itself. The manual has the limits I believe.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My ride height is lower. my arms are almost horizontal. I do run 2"spacers and that along with the way I ride has probably taken a toll on the springs.
I also run 2" spacers which helps soften the suspension but that shouldnt weaken the springs that quickly.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I would put 1/2" Of preload in it and see what it does. You should have roughly 5 3/8" shaft showing at ride height.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would put 1/2" Of preload in it and see what it does. You should have roughly 5 3/8" shaft showing at ride height.
Alex, could these springs hurt the shocks?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
i rode behind two brand new mavericks a couple of weeks ago in wv and both of there springs looked like they were bowing in the center almost hitting the alum

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd pull both rear shocks and take the springs off. Literally a 10 minute job. Stand both springs next to each other and you will see if there is an issue.

My guess is that RacerTech will be coming out with spring kits like they did for the RZR.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Spring kits will be worthless without going into the shock on the 2 seater. Softer and it will g out bad, firmer and the rebound will send you end over end. We tried this will stock valving and the outcome was less than desirable for the amount of money someone would spend. You could dual rate with a close to stock lower spring but it won't give you anymore bottoming resistance and body roll would get worse.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not the BEST solution of course but their kits usually run like $4-500. The springs may make sense for someone just trying to replace their crappy stock ones. They would be an improvement.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts