Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well My brother and I both just bought brand new mavericks 1000 XRS and after the first ride both of our machines had the rear brake calipers bent and rear rims grooved badly in the inside! So I guess because there is only about 2cm of clearance between the inside of rim and the caliper on the 12 inch rims, the rocks or mud get caught in there and tear it apart!
Not very impressed because this happened with 1 hr on brothers machine and 7 hrs on mine and on gravel and dirt trails with very little mud!

So is this just bad luck or is anyone else has this happen?

We are both ordering new tires with a 14 inch rim which should solve the problem!
Auto part Machine Vehicle Automotive tire Engine

·
Registered
546 Posts
I bought a set of stock beed locks on Craigs list. And I noticed there were like grooves in the rear wheels as well.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I wouldn't say it is common to brake anything but several guys have reported it happening......most everyone will say that their wheels are chewed up on the inside from this.....I can't tell from the picture but was the wiper installed that is supposed to clear out the debris?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the wiper is installed but if a rock somehow gets flung past that it just chews it up, There is hardly any clearance in between there I was not inspecting this, just burns me how much damage it did!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I hear ya...shitty design for sure. I was asking because most folks that have had major damage took off their wipers and then larger rocks would get lodged between the caliper and the rim and tear everything up. The wipers USUALLY only trap the small rocks and just chew up the rim.....Some guys have put mud flaps under the body about half way between the front and rear wheels to keep the flying rocks from getting thrown into the wheels. They say it works pretty good....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agreed I noticed the same thing with in just a few mins of riding in the woods, I knew with that tight spot and no real clean out point it was mud and rocks packing up in the area.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So is there a good fix?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
14" rims....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
And add the aforementioned rock flaps...I did this to mine, and it really does help! Nevertheless, 14" rims are on my short list of mods to make in the near future!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHa

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyways going to call dealer this morning and give them my 2 cents and hope they will do something!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is this typical for the max as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Is this typical for the max as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Yup...same problem. Inside of my rear wheels were getting chewed to hell before I put the flaps on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I talked to my dealer and they told me to take lots of pictures of both machines and send them over, they will send pics to BRP and get a answer on tuesday! Also we took measurements and both knuckles are bent where the brake calipers mount to! Also brake calipers are bent! So it will be expensive fix! By the way one of these machine has 30 km and the other 150km and have only seen gravel and dirt roads so they were not abused!

·
Registered
25 Posts
my buddys mav had a rock get caught and punch a hole into his wheel. On mine i installed 14's

·
Registered
546 Posts
So is the fix to put mud flaps on these things?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts