Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Any one running any other brand oil bedside can amt

8K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  bulldogs101 
#1 ·
160 dollars for a fluid change sounds kinda steep

#3 ·
no problems?? I was told it the cam an oil might have special friction inhibitors that it needs to function correctly but personaly I think some royal purple or ams oil should be fine. I just paid 50 dollars for 3 quarts of can am oil and 30 a bottle for differential fluid

#4 ·
Mobil 1 synthetic for the front and rear differentials and gear box. Amsoil 0w40 for the engine.

I posted a deal on here from Advance Auto that you could buy (2) 950ml gear oil for the front & rear differentials, (1) 950ml? gear oil for the gearbox and 1 cartridge of suspension grease for $30. That's all Mobil 1 synthetic and enough to do 2 oil changes. Search my thread. I don't know if the deal is still good but worth checking.

My amsoil I think was $9 a quart so I bought 3 quarts. $27 + $15 (Used half of gear oils) = $42 for fluid changes + cost of oil filter which is another $10 so just over $50.

#7 ·
Lucas 5w-40 racing synthetic here and diff fluids and a MRRPM spin on filter adapter with Fram filter

#8 ·
I used valvoline syn for the diffs and tranny but brp for the motor. Id use a Baldwin or comparable filter instead of the Fram. The Fram will easily bypass.

#14 ·
Most are worried they will void their warranty if they don't use what the 10 hour service indicates. I keep telling people that BRP can't void warranty for using aftermarket but I guess they want piece of mind which is nothing wrong with that.

#18 ·
I prefer to work on my own stuff too. I just don't trust the dealer to do the job right if they even did it. That 10 hour service is expensive and a money maker for the dealer and they can skip the majority of the tasks and you would never know.

#26 ·
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen this occur twice with my own eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they just dnt care, some dealers have a few teens working who has no clue even.....other dealers have 15 year mechanics working on brp items mainly and still don't do the service but charge you for it...sad as hell...

About the only ones that need a 10 hr service is the dealer.

All you need is to have is oil you use meet their requirements, that's it, end of story. If they (the dealer) tell you differently, it could be construed as against the law and at best unethical of them to tell you that. Generally, the public is unaware that it is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant. They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (BRP) that helps them make money, to keep your warranty intact.

that is correct, the only way they can say you must use our product or void warranty is if they give it to you! free

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) changes its operator’s guides in regards to warranty coverage.

#22 ·
Does anyone know the part number on a wix oil filter. I use these on everything and would like to use one on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Nathan

#24 ·
Thanks man, I'll try that appreciate your help.

Nathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.