Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no problems?? I was told it the cam an oil might have special friction inhibitors that it needs to function correctly but personaly I think some royal purple or ams oil should be fine. I just paid 50 dollars for 3 quarts of can am oil and 30 a bottle for differential fluid

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic for the front and rear differentials and gear box. Amsoil 0w40 for the engine.

I posted a deal on here from Advance Auto that you could buy (2) 950ml gear oil for the front & rear differentials, (1) 950ml? gear oil for the gearbox and 1 cartridge of suspension grease for $30. That's all Mobil 1 synthetic and enough to do 2 oil changes. Search my thread. I don't know if the deal is still good but worth checking.

My amsoil I think was $9 a quart so I bought 3 quarts. $27 + $15 (Used half of gear oils) = $42 for fluid changes + cost of oil filter which is another $10 so just over $50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's more like it. I went ahead and took the bullet for the 10 hr just for warranty sake but next time I wont

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lucas 5w-40 racing synthetic here and diff fluids and a MRRPM spin on filter adapter with Fram filter

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I used valvoline syn for the diffs and tranny but brp for the motor. Id use a Baldwin or comparable filter instead of the Fram. The Fram will easily bypass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im running Mobil 1 Synthetic Turbo Diesel 5w 40. It meets API service requirements to a tee...I'm also running Mobil 1 Syn 75-140 in the rear diff and gearbox, and 75-90 in the front diff. I also use Tungsten Disulfide from Artic Bomb.... Good stuff !

·
Vendor
594 Posts
I guess I am ignorant, why run anything special in this engine? It does not have a wet clutch so why not any particular brand?

I build a lot of V twins and never seen one go bad due to brand or weight of oil only the lack of oil

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I guess I am ignorant, why run anything special in this engine? It does not have a wet clutch so why not any particular brand?

I build a lot of V twins and never seen one go bad due to brand or weight of oil only the lack of oil
Most are worried they will void their warranty if they don't use what the 10 hour service indicates. I keep telling people that BRP can't void warranty for using aftermarket but I guess they want piece of mind which is nothing wrong with that.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Most are worried they will void their warranty if they don't use what the 10 hour service indicates. I keep telling people that BRP can't void warranty for using aftermarket but I guess they want piece of mind which is nothing wrong with that.
They won't warranty it anyway

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Wont warrant what?

Are you saying BRP will be difficult no matter what you do?
They are known for it. I have heard it said they say they make a perfect product and if it broke you did it.

But to be fair most manufacturers are this way. I don't warranty crap, I work on my own stuff

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I prefer to work on my own stuff too. I just don't trust the dealer to do the job right if they even did it. That 10 hour service is expensive and a money maker for the dealer and they can skip the majority of the tasks and you would never know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About the only ones that need a 10 hr service is the dealer.

All you need is to have is oil you use meet their requirements, that's it, end of story. If they (the dealer) tell you differently, it could be construed as against the law and at best unethical of them to tell you that. Generally, the public is unaware that it is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own lubricant. They cannot force you to buy something branded by them (BRP) that helps them make money, to keep your warranty intact.

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) changes its operator’s guides in regards to warranty coverage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts