Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to posting on here but have been reading since i bought my xds turbo in march. Mine has started very slowly since new like most people. My bike currently has only 104 miles on it, only been in trails twice. We mainly use it to pull racecar at track. Well yesterday i went out with friends in trails/mud and now the starting is terrible. We all took about a 5min break after about 30min of hard riding, go to start it and cranks slower then ever and wont start. Let it cool for 20min and it barely started. Ride back to camp and turn off, try to start again with it hot, barely cranks. 30min later it starts. Go riding again and turn it off and it wouldnt start even an hr later. Jumping doesnt help and jump box did nothing. Even tried another guys battery and no different. My lights are plenty bright so i dont think its a voltage thing. This is bs to pay 23k for this machine and it wont even start. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, not sure how they will be about it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I haven't read any solutions... no recalls, so far CanAm seems to act like there's no problem. Keep us posted on what your dealer says / does.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Im new to posting on here but have been reading since i bought my xds turbo in march. Mine has started very slowly since new like most people. My bike currently has only 104 miles on it, only been in trails twice. We mainly use it to pull racecar at track. Well yesterday i went out with friends in trails/mud and now the starting is terrible. We all took about a 5min break after about 30min of hard riding, go to start it and cranks slower then ever and wont start. Let it cool for 20min and it barely started. Ride back to camp and turn off, try to start again with it hot, barely cranks. 30min later it starts. Go riding again and turn it off and it wouldnt start even an hr later. Jumping doesnt help and jump box did nothing. Even tried another guys battery and no different. My lights are plenty bright so i dont think its a voltage thing. This is bs to pay 23k for this machine and it wont even start. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, not sure how they will be about it. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear this....It's been an issue with the Xds turbos from day one and nothing is getting done about it...I will admit for some reason mine still cranks a bit slow

when warm but since I got the MrRPM re-flash for some reason it got better..not perfect but deff better than it was stock...good luck with the dealer hope he can finally

get to the bottom of this ongoing issue.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Oh come on its not that big of a deal, atleast that's what Ive been told before on this forum.

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, i hope they try to tell me its not a big deal. I literally am embarrassed to take this high dollar pos out anymore in fears that it wont start. I finally went out to trailer to start it tonight and it started but slower then ever before when totally cold. I had plans to do a ton of power upgrades to this thing very soon but now i dont want to even look at it.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Ha, i hope they try to tell me its not a big deal. I literally am embarrassed to take this high dollar pos out anymore in fears that it wont start. I finally went out to trailer to start it tonight and it started but slower then ever before when totally cold. I had plans to do a ton of power upgrades to this thing very soon but now i dont want to even look at it.

It is a big deal and should have been taken care of a long time ago...just wondering if the 16 turbos are going to have this issue.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
There's a big difference with a slow start and not starting at all. There hasn't been many at the dealers that don't start at all Atleast around here. My guess there wasn't enough warranty Non start issues. To raise a red flag with Canam. For the most part Canam. Is on top of sending out recalls to fix there known problems Just think you could have bought a pos Polaris. Lmao With a long known problem list that they won't recall any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine used to start slowly, I tried adding a full sized car battery and it still turned slow. As the machine aged, the problem became less and less. Just did a 200 mile ride and it never turned slowly at all. About 2500 miles on it and the problem seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Mine used to start slowly, I tried adding a full sized car battery and it still turned slow. As the machine aged, the problem became less and less. Just did a 200 mile ride and it never turned slowly at all. About 2500 miles on it and the problem seems to have gone away.

Interesting!!...wonder if anyone else has had this happen to their turbos.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mine also started a little hard for the first 100-200 miles, 2700 now, no issue with starting.
I thought it was just us with the machine starting easier as we put more miles on it. We have a little over 1400. I thought that driving around on black volcanic rock at the Cinders with the air temp at 82 degrees F would bother it but it didn't. I had no idea what the ground temp was.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Brand New Starter = Same Issue

I only have 700 miles on turbo. Never had it "not start" but my awesome dealer agreed to put a new starter in it last week anyway. Did seem to be a little better, but it still rolls over very slow when hot (but still always starts). Glad to hear it may fix itself....Lol

Could this be caused from the forge pistons used for this application? I'm not a metallurgist, but wouldn't an aluminum piston expand and contract much quicker? Perhaps this is why there is not an issue with the non-turbo xds/xrs models and also why it is fine after it cools. Precision fit clearances or too small of ring end gap, or maybe very tight break-in tolerances that will loosen up after 2K miles???

FYI, the starter is a pita to change! Primary clutch was really, really difficult to remove (even bent one puller)....had to use a heat gun, hope the crank seal didn't mind.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It's most likely the small cams causing slow cranking. I had the larger cams in mine once, but didn't drive it, only dyno time. I need to cam it, see if that'll help cranking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Canam needs to really come up with a real solution for this. Like a starter with gear reduction or they should of built a compression release into this motor. Its a shame that we have these high dollar machines and have to worry if it is going to start or not.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I only have 700 miles on turbo. Never had it "not start" but my awesome dealer agreed to put a new starter in it last week anyway. Did seem to be a little better, but it still rolls over very slow when hot (but still always starts). Glad to hear it may fix itself....Lol

Could this be caused from the forge pistons used for this application? I'm not a metallurgist, but wouldn't an aluminum piston expand and contract much quicker? Perhaps this is why there is not an issue with the non-turbo xds/xrs models and also why it is fine after it cools. Precision fit clearances or too small of ring end gap, or maybe very tight break-in tolerances that will loosen up after 2K miles???

FYI, the starter is a pita to change! Primary clutch was really, really difficult to remove (even bent one puller)....had to use a heat gun, hope the crank seal didn't mind.

I think both pistons are aluminium just that the Xds is forged and N/A Mavs are cast aluminum.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts