Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I put 500+ miles on the stock clutch with no issues, befor switching to va CVTech.

·
Registered
998 Posts
2000 miles on mine with stock clutch and belt. I've only broke a rear radius rod that lead to a bad cv joint. More than satisfied with mine

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
NO. not on the 2 seater anyway. I've been told we were limited to 74 mph. I have seen 77 on the speedo, and 76 mph with a hand held gps.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Not that you need to go that fast but I wonder if you can have it reprogrammed?
There are people working on a reflash of the ECU,but it is apparently very difficult.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. It is helping to put my mind at ease. I think I will get a belt to have on hand for the first few times out. Is it possible to change the belt without removing the primary? What would I need to have on hand or in the glove box to get this done in the field?
Keep the replies coming if you have had troble free miles on a stock machine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have 440 miles on mine with no mechanical issues. The clutch so far is fine and I have rode it pretty hard since day one. All I have done is change the fluids/filter.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. It is helping to put my mind at ease. I think I will get a belt to have on hand for the first few times out. Is it possible to change the belt without removing the primary? What would I need to have on hand or in the glove box to get this done in the field?
Keep the replies coming if you have had troble free miles on a stock machine.

I believe you will need a 1/4" drive ratchet with 8mm socket and a long extension to remove the clutch cover. Then your factory tool kit has a threaded rod included. That is used on the secondary clutch.It threads into one of the 3 holes. As it threads in, it opens the secondary so you can get the belt on. You put the belt onto the primary first with the belt arrow pointing forward, then when the secondary is open enough the belt will go onto it. Then unscrew the threaded rod and your secondary will close onto the belt to tighten it up. Wah la, now you can put your cover back on. I suggest you carry a pair of gloves with you so you dont burn your hands when changing the belt. All the parts will be hot.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
To change out a belt, look in the toolbag in the glovebox. There's a small long metric bolt in it. That screws into the secondary to spread it, allowing you to install the new belt. The hardest part is getting the bolts off on the bottom of the cvt cover. A ratcheting 8mm wrench is supposed to the best. And plenty of extensions makes the upper bolts easier to take off.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I believe you will need a 1/4" drive rachet with 10mm socket and a long extension to remove the clutch cover. Then your factory tool kit has a threaded rod included. That is used on the secondary clutch.It threads into one of the 3 holes. As it threads in, it opens the secondary so you can get the belt on. You put the belt onto the primary first with the belt arrow pointing forward, then when the secondary is open enough the belt will go onto it. Then unscrew the threaded rod and your secondary will close onto the belt to tighten it up. Wah la, now you can put your cover back on. I suggest you carry a pair of gloves with you so you dont burn your hands when changing the belt. All the parts will be hot.
Are they 10mm or 8mm? I forget.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yes I believe they are 8 mm.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Knock on wood... but the only thing for me is 2 bad secondary springs, a wobbly drivers seat and a couple torn seat covers.

I switched the secondary spring out with the dalton black/violet and she's running like s champ now.

Kris is hooking me up with the qsc/stm that I should have by the end of the month.

Im thinking of going with some upgraded tie rods and a front gusset kit and ill be good after that.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts