Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to have found the forum and a bunch of people with time on the machines. I have been seeing a LOT of horror stories, and it has me scared to even drive this thing without some major upgrades.
Tie rods, gusset, clutch.
I've only had the mav for a couple of weeks and haven't had it out yet. I intalled the doors and roof. I've got the 5 point harnesses and the bar should be at my door soon.
Like I said I am scared to take the thing out for fear I will explode my clutch or bend my a-arm mounts or break my tie rods.
This will be a dune machine only.
Is there anyone out there that would like to chime in about running their Maverick completely stock with no break downs? How many trouble free miles?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have 120 miles and 8 hours on my machine with no issues.

Those 3 issues you mentioned are top problems experienced from I have read on this forum. In mainly a duner as well so I'm doing the a-arm brace as a precaution in case I hit something unexpected. The tie rods I will also buy but not put them on until my breaks. This way if they never do I can always resell the aftermarket. More like an insurance policy.

The clutch I am replacing because there have been too many reports on this problem.

That's probably one issue you should fix for sure in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I bought mine back on Dec 20, 2012 and I have 409 miles of desert and dune riding. I have not had 1 issues with mine. Altho I have installed the QSC/STM clutch setup & a Front gusset for preventive measures.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've got close to 700 miles on mine. No problems at all. Did burn a belt up in Moab but it was my fault. Been to the dunes, extreme rock climbing, mountain riding, trail riding and desert riding. Thing has held up great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Here's the thing about not wanting to do any upgrades.........if you're going to drive it like its a Rhino, you'll be fine. If you're going to drive it like its a Trophy Truck, well........ I will always recommend to anyone with a Mav to replace the stock primary. If it blows and you're past 6 month oem warranty, your looking at thousands out of your pocket.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
No issues at all & I have the first one my dealer got in, so I think it was Jan 2. We mainly dune ride but ride all types of terrain. I have hammered it hard & so far, knock on wood - no issues. I recently did some major upgrades to get it set up for rock crawling thou.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Part of the fun for me is upgrading. I just hope I don't get married to it. Accessories add up fast and you will be lucky to get 50% of that back on reselling your Mav IMHO.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. And it is not that I don't want to or am not willing to do upgrades. I actually plan on doing them all in time. I just wanted to hear from some people who had done no upgrades and had not had problems. We are probably taking it to dunefest in Winchester Oregon and if I don't get it all done by then (July 30th) I know I will be worried about what is going to break.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Part of the fun for me is upgrading. I just hope I don't get married to it. Accessories add up fast and you will be lucky to get 50% of that back on reselling your Mav IMHO.
Nothings free. When you add mods, you should not do it if you think it will make the vehicle worth more. It never pencils out. So only do mod's that make the car more reliable, enjoyable or safe. SxS are a money pit, but for that money you should get alot of enjoyment and satisfaction!

Reactions: PLAY-DOH

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Here's the thing about not wanting to do any upgrades.........if you're going to drive it like its a Rhino, you'll be fine. If you're going to drive it like its a Trophy Truck, well........ I will always recommend to anyone with a Mav to replace the stock primary. If it blows and you're past 6 month oem warranty, your looking at thousands out of your pocket.
if the clutch blows cant we buy a removed new set up from a maverick from ebay and get the bolt out and were set ? and a cover if u want - I see new clutches for 300 -500

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I agree. My point is some will upgrade the clutch and suspension even if those were not areas of problems on the Maverick. Clutch kits are something I have almost always done on all my powersport toys because it has been a proven method of always improving performance. You get more bang for your buck with clutch improvements. Exhaust and intake improvements don't give as much for the money as clutch improvements in my experience. Although I have put V-Force reeds on my snowmobiles and noticed a substantial improvement in throttle response.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. And it is not that I don't want to or am not willing to do upgrades. I actually plan on doing them all in time. I just wanted to hear from some people who had done no upgrades and had not had problems. We are probably taking it to dunefest in Winchester Oregon and if I don't get it all done by then (July 30th) I know I will be worried about what is going to break.
We will probably do a day trip to Winchester, probably thurs or fri. Might see you around.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
if the clutch blows cant we buy a removed new set up from a maverick from ebay and get the bolt out and were set ? and a cover if u want - I see new clutches for 300 -500
True, you'd need the primary, secondary, the outside cvt cover, and maybe the inner. At least on mine the primary took out the secondary. The covers would have to be new, cause I doubt anyone sell those used.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We will probably do a day trip to Winchester, probably thurs or fri. Might see you around.
It would be nice to meet someone from the forum, or anyone in a Maveick. I was at Coos Bay for the 4th of July and did not see one single Maverick out there. I did see a couple of commanders and too many rzr's to count. My wife will be driving the Maverick and I will be close by, either on the dirt bike or quad.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm just over 500 miles and my serial number is 880 I think and I've had no problems. I do all fast pace trail riding so they aren't easy miles by any means

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I guess you could do that but I think Steve is considering that more collateral damage may occur. Idk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you are paying anything close for a stock clutch off Ebay, not going $375 more to get a QSC is a bad investment in my opinion. I too am fighting the stock clutch replacement...only because I am told it will void my damn warranty if I switch my clutch. My problem is I can't do the work you guys do. I don't have the time or the patience. When it's time to play I just want to go. So I pay people to work on things, and that warranty will save me a lot of money as long as things are covered. I have an inquiry to BRP through my dealer about the QSC clutch, so we'll see. If they put in writing it won't void it, it's a done deal. I don't even like the question marks in the back of my mind. The guys at QSC told me about a guy that had his clutch blow up and part of it came through the firewall/seat and took his hat off. Hit it in the bill...big hole. So if that had been over a bit, who knows...he could be dead. Scary stuff. It's a fine line here. Risking health potentially over a few bucks...but damnit I just bought the thing. They need to stand behind their product.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you are paying anything close for a stock clutch off Ebay, not going $375 more to get a QSC is a bad investment in my opinion. I too am fighting the stock clutch replacement...only because I am told it will void my damn warranty if I switch my clutch. My problem is I can't do the work you guys do. I don't have the time or the patience. When it's time to play I just want to go. So I pay people to work on things, and that warranty will save me a lot of money as long as things are covered. I have an inquiry to BRP through my dealer about the QSC clutch, so we'll see. If they put in writing it won't void it, it's a done deal. I don't even like the question marks in the back of my mind. The guys at QSC told me about a guy that had his clutch blow up and part of it came through the firewall/seat and took his hat off. Hit it in the bill...big hole. So if that had been over a bit, who knows...he could be dead. Scary stuff. It's a fine line here. Risking health potentially over a few bucks...but damnit I just bought the thing. They need to stand behind their product.
Good points! My dealer told me that an aftermarket primary would not void my warranty, and that only the oem 6 month warranty covers the cvt system. My dealer even put my CVTech on for me instead of the new stock one that Can Am sent them after my bolt broke. He gave me the new, uninstalled one in a box to take home.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There is a law that protects you from OEM voiding warranty based on the simple fact you used aftermarket or even used parts. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the issue. Look up the Magnuson Moss Act.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have over 600 miles with no problems , I changed out the clutches to sts on day one and the stock belt still looks new. I don't ride in sand but I ride very very hard. Every other machine I have had has not held up this well, very happy with it!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts