Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Premium Member
All I did was simply ask if they checked the crank sensor that is easy to replace. To get to the flywheel you have to pull an engine cover off and all that. Sheesh.

Registered
I bet its a software malfunction
could the flywheel been made wrong yes
like with too much advance
the software could be is misreading the crank speed
resulting in a false misfire

Reactions: HPnMORE4J and BLR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Well I found my problem . After sitting in a dealership for 40 days and frustrated I pulled the car out . After speaking with a Factory Can Am racer and a rental company who had 21鈥橷3s It was narrowed down to the flywheel. Flywheels for 21s are 120 units back ordered . It was suggested that I convert back to 18-20 charging system . Pulled the cover and as I guessed the flywheel was coming apart . The reluctor wheel was missing a tooth and coming apart from the flywheel . Swapped stator , Flywheel ,
Voltage regulator. And charging wire harness and the car runs like new !! Car had under 5 miles on it when I started getting codes and just got worse . It would only go into limp mode at 40-55 mph . Nothing less or nothing more . Just wanted share my issue . Can am is aware of this and it would be nice if there is a recall . As time goes on I am sure more 21s will have this issue .

Premium Member
Good find. Did you see that piece laying around anywhere in there? I would try and see if you can get that out of there. I suppose this is why its taking so long to get my 850w conversion kit from canam.

Registered

Well I found my problem . After sitting in a dealership for 40 days and frustrated I pulled the car out . After speaking with a Factory Can Am racer and a rental company who had 21鈥橷3s It was narrowed down to the flywheel. Flywheels for 21s are 120 units back ordered . It was suggested that I convert back to 18-20 charging system . Pulled the cover and as I guessed the flywheel was coming apart . The reluctor wheel was missing a tooth and coming apart from the flywheel . Swapped stator , Flywheel ,
Voltage regulator. And charging wire harness and the car runs like new !! Car had under 5 miles on it when I started getting codes and just got worse . It would only go into limp mode at 40-55 mph . Nothing less or nothing more . Just wanted share my issue . Can am is aware of this and it would be nice if there is a recall . As time goes on I am sure more 21s will have this issue .
Wow...and the dealer didn't catch this! Lame BS, after 40 days, I would send this picture to the service manager, GM and owner! "Hello, anybody home?"
Go figure, most can't even change the oil properly......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good find. Did you see that piece laying around anywhere in there? I would try and see if you can get that out of there. I suppose this is why its taking so long to get my 850w conversion kit from canam.
It was on the flywheel but bent up , when they pulled the flywheel it broke off .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow...and the dealer didn't catch this! Lame BS, after 40 days, I would send this picture to the service manager, GM and owner! "Hello, anybody home?"
Go figure, most can't even change the oil properly......
They suspected it which means they knew there was an issue with the 21 flywheels . They could not get any replacement flywheel from can am and the dealer would never swap charging systems with an older model so I took care of it myself. I would expect a recall on 21s shortly

Registered
That you are right? You couldnt even figure it out on your own? Now your taking credit for someone elses work? Give me a break. And this bench racer has over 100 times the miles than you do on an x3. I would eat that 2021 lunch even if I gave you a head start.
Momma always said free advice is worth every cent! Stealership a have very few factory trained techs. They lean by trial and error and you pay. Asked the experienced never the learned!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts