Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a short ride yesterday evening and wasn't hard on it. Then came home and was doing laps around the yard while letting the dogs run and burn some energy. When I stopped for a quick break I could smell something burning but didn't see anything.

When I was getting back in, I could see a small glow under the floorboard in front of the drivers seat. I was able to get it out with an extinguisher before any major damage occurred that I can see.

Going to drop the skid plate tonight and investigate further. Luckily it mainly smelled like leaves burning, and a little plastic. Is there anything in that general area that can start a fire?

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
the front cylinder header would be the only thing I could think of in that area. It would be hard for leaves and debris to get up in there.

Did you do any extra wiring and it got close to the header or not fused properly?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the front cylinder header would be the only thing I could think of in that area. It would be hard for leaves and debris to get up in there.

Did you do any extra wiring and it got close to the header or not fused properly?
Nothing extra done to it. I haven't started any mods with wiring or lights or anything.

And you're right with the header, I could see it just looking through the small holes in the floor pan.

·
Registered
350 Posts
on my commander leaves always find there way under there, even when i clean the skid plate, every few months or so ill smell a little campfire down there, and it just goes out by itself

·
Registered
36 Posts
please post what you find!! I am glad you caught it when you did!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine had all kinds of leaves packed in around the front header pipe last oct at hatfield McCoy. Never flamed up but had lots of smoke fill the cabin. We pulled the side panels off and got about a bushel basket of leaves pulled out. Took it to the truck and let the skid plate down and got a ton more leaves out. Got home and called brp. They made a claim number. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing we can do.

Before I go back and ride in the fall, I'm going to put some kind of screen up to block off the hole at the top of the firewall cause I think that's where the leaves came in. At the bottom of the firewall they have a plastic screen blocking that hole.

Im also keeping the insurance paid up on it. Lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After dropping the skid plates, and digging out a ton of leaves, I've concluded that the leaves packed in around the front header and some left over grease from the first service (dealer done) is what caused the fire.

Now like Jeff mentioned, try to figure out some type of screen to block some of the leaves from getting in there.

And keep the insurance paid up! Lol

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
20150501_101540.jpg
I made a screen for mine using wire mesh that covers rain gutters to keep them from filling with leaves. Cut it to size, paint and zip tied in. Never had a problem with leaves on mine though, I just always felt I needed some bling there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't believe the leaves I had get in came thru that hole in the hood piece. I believe mine came thru the firewall at the top. I don't recall leaves coming up high enough to get in. I think the front tires kicked them up. As many leaves as I had in mine, I surely wood have noticed. I was leading my group the day it happend so no leaves were getting kicked up.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Pipe wrap won't stop the fires , it will cut them way down . My pipes are wrapped two layers thick from front to back and I still had one fire . I'm not sure what started it but , it happened . I now pull the skids every couple weeks and clean it out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pipe wrap won't stop the fires , it will cut them way down . My pipes are wrapped two layers thick from front to back and I still had one fire . I'm not sure what started it but , it happened . I now pull the skids every couple weeks and clean it out .

What type of wrap. Wondering if I should wrap my Xmr before I even drive it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yup any auto parts store , but chances are they will need to order it . By the time I did both of my head pipes I used 70' of wrap

1 - 20 of 29 Posts