Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 21 Sport Max with about 200 miles on it. I know there's a lot of posts about noise and people chasing it. Some seem to get lucky, other's not so much. Seems the most common answers are either the driveline or the clutch or springs on the exhaust. I think mine is none of these.

The noise doesn't come from the floor area at all. It's definitely from the engine. It's always hard to tell exactly but I think it's closer towards the air intake (passenger) side. When I first got it, the sound only kicked in around the 4500 rpm range so I had originally assumed it was the driveline noise people talk about. However, the noise has progressively gotten MUCH louder and over an extended rpm range. Pretty much anywhere from high 3k to mid 5k range it's rattling.

The rattle sounds something akin to shaking the heck out of a chain-link fence or maybe shaking a metal cup with small screws in it. Definitely a metal to metal sound. It's also NOT a valve tick or lifter knock.

Yesterday I lifted the rear end of the rig and ran it through the rpm ranges with the intention of narrowing it down to exactly where the sound is coming from. Not a peep out of it. No rattle at all! So, now I'm stumped. Why wouldn't it make any sound when in the air?

One other thing that I assume is unrelated but just throwing it out there. I checked oil level and it's low. Bottom end of the range on the stick. Not sure what that translates to on this but I assume ~1q low. That seemed odd to me that it would be that low after only a couple hundred miles of use. Hopefully it's not an indication of high consumption problems.

I've reached out to the dealership for them to take a look at it but so far they're just ghosting me. Which is awesome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would still suggest you pull the access cover behind the rear seats and check for play at the rear driveline yoke. I had several people telling me my sound sound was exhaust rattle and it ended up being play in the driveline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can try. Didn't realize there was an access panel behind the seats that opened up to the driveline. Wouldn't it still rattle when I had it up in the air though? Also, from what I read, the driveline rattle was from the floor and closer to the front - like under the shifter area. Mine is definitely from rear, engine bay area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's the same access panel to the oil filter because the yoke is just below my sound travelled up behind the rear seat area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the rattle you’re talking about and it kept getting worse until I fixed it. Drilled, tapped and put a set screw at both ends of the drive shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I didn't realize the driveline noise was a something that would get worse with time and was coming from engine space.

Is this something dealers are fixing under warranty? Or are we on our own to fix it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mentioned it to the dealer but fixed it myself. If you have the ability you are better off doing it yourself. I don’t trust the dealers to do much of anything right.

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,153 Posts
These machines are undoubtedly noisy. After eliminating likelihood of a problem, just wear a helmet and/or earplugs. You said not coming from floor area, however several forum members with models in this platform mentioned brake pedal free play which causes a rattle and can be eliminated with a thin nylon shim washer (see below). I did so on my former MavT but haven't bothered with my current MavS Xrc.

As to low engine oil on the dipstick, unsure on amount needed added between level 1 (full) and level 2 (add) but unlikely a full quart since total capacity is just 2.11 quarts with filter change. Be careful not to overfill.

I'd recommend purchasing and downloading the https://brpmanuals.com/ for your machine, however that link now shows inactive. Hopefully, not shut down due to legal infringement with BRP copywrite protection. Those downloads have been very popular on this forum!

IMG_5368.JPG IMG_5369.JPG

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
989 Posts
It definitely doesn't take much oil to go from the bottom to the top of the operating range on the dipstick. Careful, easy to overfill. Nothing like a car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is somewhere around 12 oz I believe from add mark to full mark on the dipstick. My machine had severe oil usage and would go through that much in about 4 hours of riding. Brp ended up replacing my engine under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,153 Posts
^^^ Good to know and that sounds about right.

OP - both my prior MavT 1000 and current MavS 1000R didn't consume abnormal amounts of oil before or after completing engine break-in. I do routinely check the level but rarely need to top off between service intervals. Prox 5k miles on that MavT and ~ 2.8k on my current MavS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow-up: I didn't pull the back panel off (looked like a pita). I was able to snake my arm around the rear of the engine and get ahold of the driveline and wiggle it around. For sure that is the sound. Super frustrating as I had hoped they would have fixed it with the '21's but no such luck. Good news is I guess there's no damage from the noise - just a nuisance.

I will say, no offense to anyone, but the answer of turn up the volume or wear earplugs is lame. I'm certainly not looking for a quiet ride. I get the argument of, 'it's an off-road machine, don't expect quiet/smooth - suck it up buttercup', but this is really not acceptable noise on a brand new machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The panel is not as bad as it looks it's the same panel for changing the oil filter but agree would be nice if easier. Once you remove seats just snap out the panel has about 8 of the plastic push pins. After removing them you can slide it up without removing the bars that hold the seat. In figuring my out I got to where I can do it in less than 10 minutes the panel is about 18 inches by 18 inches. Now pulling the shaft will take longer. I agree on the sound I believe some people machine must not be as loud I know of two people who heard mine before I fixed and even though I fixed it decided not to get a sport max.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Follow-up: I didn't pull the back panel off (looked like a pita). I was able to snake my arm around the rear of the engine and get ahold of the driveline and wiggle it around. For sure that is the sound. Super frustrating as I had hoped they would have fixed it with the '21's but no such luck. Good news is I guess there's no damage from the noise - just a nuisance.

I will say, no offense to anyone, but the answer of turn up the volume or wear earplugs is lame. I'm certainly not looking for a quiet ride. I get the argument of, 'it's an off-road machine, don't expect quiet/smooth - suck it up buttercup', but this is really not acceptable noise on a brand new machine.
I have to agree. The headphone thing comes up way too much lol. Im pretty sure newer members often have legit problems. And they are told wear headphones, these machines are loud.

There is normal loud. And not normal loud.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have to agree. The headphone thing comes up way too much lol. Im pretty sure newer members often have legit problems. And they are told wear headphones, these machines are loud.

There is normal loud. And not normal loud.
I have agree with you both and I've seen that a lot over the years on the forums as well. Yeah there's normal loud and $#@%$ about to break loud, but that doesn't mean it's not acceptable to discuss how to quiet things down a bit, even if it's just normal. You can always tell a new owner, especially of the X3 when their first post is ......."so I'm hearing this loud noise at about 5200 rpm....." Those folks are about to get it and I feel a little bad for them as soon as I read it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have agree with you both and I've seen that a lot over the years on the forums as well. Yeah there's normal loud and $#@%$ about to break loud, but that doesn't mean it's not acceptable to discuss how to quiet things down a bit, even if it's just normal. You can always tell a new owner, especially of the X3 when their first post is ......."so I'm hearing this loud noise at about 5200 rpm....." Those folks are about to get it and I feel a little bad for them as soon as I read it.
Its the internet eh. I have my idiot moments too lol. Write something in the morning and then that night wonder what I was thinking. I have much improved over the years. Plus deleted all social media. Too much fighting/opinion and I don't give AF about what some dude I went to high-school with in the 90's cooked for dinner tonight lol.

We should all be nicer. People ask a common question say nothing or give them a couple links. We all had to start somewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update. Got it scheduled to drop off at dealer for service and look at this. They seemed clueless to this issue. I explained it seems to be a common problem and there's apparently a service bulletin to address with a set screw. Didn't ring any bells to him but said he'd look at it. I'll update here the results for better or worse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts