Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the 2020 Trail 1000. I love to play in the woods and in the mud. That being said I have zero need to the 75mph it can go. Are there adjustmests I can make to the clutch without breaking the bank to get move down low grunt and engagement? Or is that more an ECU thing? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
No, CVTs don’t work like that. The pully size is already optimized for maximum hp at any given speed

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
add more secondary pre load or change to a stiffer spring and the clutch will stay in lower gear longer
also back shift will be faster
most models have low range gearing
just dont use high range

·
Registered
438 Posts
No, CVTs don’t work like that. The pully size is already optimized for maximum hp at any given speed
you have zero idea how clutches work .....ever hear of a clutch kit ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
So I've got the 2020 Trail 1000. I love to play in the woods and in the mud. That being said I have zero need to the 75mph it can go. Are there adjustmests I can make to the clutch without breaking the bank to get move down low grunt and engagement? Or is that more an ECU thing? Any input would be appreciated.
You need a clutch kit made for low end .....it will do exactly what you want it to do ......get with Kiwi or Airdam.

I ride like you , I needed more low end for mud and hills and to offset my 32 inch tires .
The clutch kit will change your shift out and engagement points. Different springs, weights and helix are options .....ECU tuning will allow more rpms in low , but clutch work will do what you are seeking

please ignore that pully size is optimized for maximum horsepower crap

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
you have zero idea how clutches work .....ever hear of a clutch kit ?
I'm fairly new to CVT's so you're probably right, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain how I'm wrong. I believe...On a stock X3 on WOT the CVT selects the gear ratio that puts the RPM's at the HP peak ~7500RPMS. The stock CVT continually adjusts the gear ratio to maintain that "optimal" RPM. The only time a clutch kit would help is if you increase hp or change tire size. Any change to the weights on a stock vehicle is going to move the WOT RPM away from the shiftout point of 7500 resulting in slower acceleration.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
in the simplest terms.....
the primary clutch sets max or peak hp rpms
and the secondary does the shifting.
so the longer your clutch stays in low gear
the more low speed grunt you will have

where drag racers want it to shift as fast as possible

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
The primary and secondary both shift together though. As one gets bigger the other gets correspondingly smaller . Your explanation sounds as if the primary pulley stays at a fixed point based on the applied hp and the secondary pulley moves as the speed changes, but that's not possible since the belt is a fixed length.

What does staying in "low" gear mean? The gear ratio is linearly changing as the speed increases to maintain a constant rpm.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
it means exactly what I said
if the belt stays high in the secondary longer you say in lower gear longer
if there is not enough power to increase SPEED the belts dont move
again the primary stays a fixed RPM
again these are simplified

Reactions: Mudskipper

·
Registered
438 Posts
Instead of coming on here and telling someone that there’s nothing they can do to tune their clutches for a certain purpose I suggest you search the forum and look at YouTube videos to understand prior to giving poor advice.......clutches are not the simple pulley devices you think they are, clutches are much more complex. The majority of people on here have tuned, aftermarket or clutch kits. One of the most important parts of the vehicle to upgrade. Larger tires generally require making changes to the clutches.
I had my clutches geared lower due to my riding conditions and tire size

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
Before you all continue attacking me, I assume you may have misunderstood my original statement, or else you all are the clueless ones. I’m not saying there is no point to a clutch kit, I have a KWI x190 on my X3 because I have larger tires and a tune. The OP asked if he could trade top end speed for more low end torque, similar to changing the diff ratio in a car. In my original post all I meant is no that’s not possible. You all made me question my sanity, so I emailed KWI just to be sure who confirmed “clutching cannot change the effective ratio. Only a change internal to the gear box could do that”.

Maybe you all need to watch a few more youtube videos before you come on here attacking people who were only trying to help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Stop being a baby , no one is attacking you .

you are still claiming that you can’t trade top end speed for more low end torque ......you are wrong once again. You absolutely can and many of us do. I have clutch kits on 3 of my sxs’s that did exactly that.

I specifically had Airdam do exactly what the op wants to do , I wanted more low end and lost top end due to the changes ......and you told him it can’t be done due to your lack of knowledge.
You can also change out the gearing to get even lower for rock crawling.

no one misunderstood your statement .....we were just trying to save the op from your untrue statement

and to the op ......yes you can build your clutch for more low end grunt but you will loose top end end, even though one dude says you can’t :)

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
Umm, I attached the email directly from KWI saying that’s not possible. I don’t know what else I can do

·
Registered
438 Posts
That clearly states a “performance clutch kit “ gives “all around performance” ......the op wants a low end clutch kit .....not an all around or top and clutch kit .....he wants one for low end that sacrifices top end speed

so if you’re doing an all around performance clutch kit that is t specifically made for low end you need to change gearing or tires to get lower gearing ......jeeeez super duh. ! Lol

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
lol what man? I'm attaching the original question I asked KWI, which is: Is there any clutch kit I can buy that will trade top speed for more low end power. They replied, no that's not possible without changing the internal gearing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
First of all that was a stupid question to ask them .......I don’t need to go 80 so do you have a clutch kit that will cap me at 40 ? Ummm no they don’t and no one (but you) would ask that.

I was answering for the op so that he didn’t think he can’t accomplish what he originally wanted since you’re hell bent on telling him he can’t

instead of posting all of your no you can’t why don’t you google search “can am clutch kits for low end torque” and give yourself a little education on the subject .....a little more reading than your short email to someone

Reactions: R.Snape

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
That was the OP’s question....Can I trade top end speed for more torque down low. 40 is irrelevant, it was just an example number. Those kits you mention don’t change gear ratios they just improve belt tension giving you more torque.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I am not finding kits with KWI or Airdam, just full clutches. Outside of the arguing on here...any recomendations on kit companies? Efi? Dalton?

·
Registered
438 Posts
It’s very apparent that you have zero idea how clutch’s work .......you even admitted that, so it’s strange that you would even argue repeatedly .
Clutch kits change the gear ratio by allowing the belt to ride at certain position on the sheaves, allowing the clutches to open or close differently than oem .......clutch kits change when and where the belt moves to.
If you really think that a clutch kit just gives you more tension and that in effect causes more torque then you’re an idiot that can’t learn something new. (Technically old) You’re welcome to keep thinking that a kit makes only your belt tighter ....maybe we should just run wider belts to get that tension that causes torque.

yes the 80 to 40 mph was relevant because you asked it and can’t be done. BUT the op can get a clutch kit to do exactly what he wants , regardless of your uneducated opinions . Lose top end for low end gain is a daily reality, for all us .....well except for fantasy land you :).

·
Registered
438 Posts
So I am not finding kits with KWI or Airdam, just full clutches. Outside of the arguing on here...any recomendations on kit companies? Efi? Dalton?
you have to call them .....tell them exactly what you are looking for , your Mav setup and terrain you ride on .....they will set the kit up like you want .....the kits are custom to your needs .....like gaining low end and losing top end :)

KWI has kits on their site ......the all around performance kit with helix improves Mid range and increase top end speed ......you want low end so call them ......but the kits are definitely on the site for sale ......call Adam at Airdam ....he will hook you up with what you want

1 - 20 of 21 Posts