Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hey Bro, My clutch went on me at Pismo Beach. . . .Seeing that RZR pulling you back was like dejavu. . . . .another mav pushing rope. . . .worse yet. . . . another mav pushing rope behind a RZR like I was. . .LOL :) But Seriously, It kinda scares me that the recall was already fixed before you picked it up, and it went again !!! I haven't been out since Pismo Beach and after I got it fixed, I hope I don't have anymore problems once I start going to buttercup regularly starting Halloween weekend. . . .
the recall dont do anything with the secondary just primary bolt , but ya we all hope they recheck tq on the bolts n studs !

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
it looks like all of the pieces were there i wonder why he didnt just put it back together and drive home? It would have saved the shame of being towed by a gayzor.
No shame at all. That "gayzor" had well over 1000 miles and never had any problems. Actually all 3 of them (all RZR's w miles) said the same thing. I was thrilled that he was nice enough to tow my sorry ass machine back to a place where I could trailer it.

I couldn't put my hands on anything down there for about a half an hour because it was so darn hot. I got all the bolts out around the cover besides the lower ones. Once it cooled I tried to finagle it on - I could access it through the HOLE it burned in my cover. HA! Sure, I could have laid in the mud and took the lower cover bolts out and got it back running but I am glad I didn't have to ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If they also replaced your starter which is part of the recall but only applies to certain serial numbers, they have to pull the secondary and the CVT back cover. Here are the instructions for the starter replacement which included removing and reinstalling the secondary clutch.

View attachment 4894 View attachment 4895
I asked about the starter recall and they said mine was a later model that came from the factory already done. There was no sign of any loctite on the bolt threads. I will print that off and hand it to the service manager. I will be sure to read it out loud with him just incase....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Question - When they do the recall on the primary, do they have to touch the secondary for any reason? I would like to know if this was a dealer error for sure before I point the finger directly at them.

Where can I see the Primary recall instruction sheet like the one for the starter?

·
Hickory, NC
2,959 Posts
As far as I know my secondary was not touched and my recall is holding strong
Did replace belt though

·
Vendor
594 Posts
I personally believe this is just another lack of knowledge on the part of the dealer or the care to do the torqueing correctly.

You said they had been in your clutch to do the stud update, they most likely did it incorrectly.

I have said it many times, any time you have to go to a dealer for warranty work on your clutch, go home loosen the primary and secondary and retorque with the proper method and with proper tools and you probably will not have issues.

Todd

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have said it many times, any time you have to go to a dealer for warranty work on your clutch, go home loosen the primary and secondary and retorque with the proper method and with proper tools and you probably will not have issues.

That sounds like really good advice, but unfortunately not all us are mechanically inclined as you are to do so. Sorry but Im a driver not a mechanic, and I guess that's my loss, but guys like us have to rely and have faith on what the dealership does for us, and as much as we pay for these things, we shouldn't have to second guess them or worry if they did it right. . . .but that's if we lived in a perfect world

·
Registered
410 Posts

That sounds like really good advice, but unfortunately not all us are mechanically inclined as you are to do so. Sorry but Im a driver not a mechanic, and I guess that's my loss, but guys like us have to rely and have faith on what the dealership does for us, and as much as we pay for these things, we shouldn't have to second guess them or worry if they did it right. . . .but that's if we lived in a perfect world
He's not asking you to build a watch or set up your cam timing. Pull out plastic bullets and turn bolts with socket or wrench. If you can't handle that.... Uhhh....... Good luck and hope you don't get a flat.

Reactions: crazywes

·
Registered
649 Posts
Jesus man, I read about this but hoped it was few and far between... I bought a Maverick 2 days ago and took it out with the wife today. We made it about 40 miles when the belt all of a sudden started to slip and smoke really bad. We immediately shut it down and I pulled it apart to investigate. The main bolt on the secondary had come loose and it shot through the side cover. Not a great start to this UTV relationship... The recall on the primary was done before I picked it up. Back to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm hoping they will replace the parts and re-install it properly this time around. I was told they will likely NOT replace the belt which I think is BS.... luckily a few RZR's showed up and gave me a tow.

Question is - it seems like a few on here have swapped to aftermarket clutches to be rid of the stock clutch issues. I was hoping I didn't have to do that. Is this necessary?

Had two that I worked on do the exact same thing.....WITH locktite that I personally torqed down...It was covered under warranty bud still.... If this happens after warranty it will cost ya big...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I personally believe this is just another lack of knowledge on the part of the dealer or the care to do the torqueing correctly.

You said they had been in your clutch to do the stud update, they most likely did it incorrectly.

Todd
Do you recommend doing this with the secondary bolt??? I thought it was a one-time - torque to yield fastener? If you break it loose, wouldn't you have to get a new bolt and re-loctite it???

I could see doing this with the primary....

On a side note - I am back up and running! I couldn't be happier with how the dealer handled this situation. After speaking with the service manager, I feel confident it was put on correctly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Had two that I worked on do the exact same thing.....WITH locktite that I personally torqed down...It was covered under warranty bud still.... If this happens after warranty it will cost ya big...
I don't like the sound of that!!!

Does the full STM clutch upgrade totally eliminate the possibility of it happening again????

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't like the sound of that!!!

Does the full STM clutch upgrade totally eliminate the possibility of it happening again????
I haven't heard of anyone reporting a failure with aftermarket clutches. The STM bolt is stout and I have reused it many times and it always hold torque at 30ft/lbs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have read about some issues with the aftermarket clutches tho... I think it was in your thread Heavysledz. Did you get your setup dialed in? I know you need to know what you are doing when setting up the aftermarket clutches. If I was to go that route I would be glued to literature for many hours trying to learn what does what and why. Not sure I am ready for that yet - but I can see myself going that route in the near future perhaps. I may need a winter project or two...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've seen this exact thing happen on a mav with less than 3 hours on it. It hadn't been to the dealer for anything making me think its something from the factory. I carried mine to the dealer today to get the starter recall and when i get it back I will be removing my clutch bolts and re-torque them myself.

·
Registered
684 Posts

You're a goddamn toolbox! Learn to work on your machine and not to be at the MERCY of your stealership.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you have STOCK clutch components, you should NOT be loosening and re-torquing your SECONDARY bolt without replacing it with a new one. This is a torque-to-yield bolt. Aftermarket clutches are a different story.

I think people may get the wrong impression by reading this thread.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
21 - 40 of 82 Posts