Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesus man, I read about this but hoped it was few and far between... I bought a Maverick 2 days ago and took it out with the wife today. We made it about 40 miles when the belt all of a sudden started to slip and smoke really bad. We immediately shut it down and I pulled it apart to investigate. The main bolt on the secondary had come loose and it shot through the side cover. Not a great start to this UTV relationship... The recall on the primary was done before I picked it up. Back to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm hoping they will replace the parts and re-install it properly this time around. I was told they will likely NOT replace the belt which I think is BS.... luckily a few RZR's showed up and gave me a tow.

Question is - it seems like a few on here have swapped to aftermarket clutches to be rid of the stock clutch issues. I was hoping I didn't have to do that. Is this necessary?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
That sucks man, hope they make it right. These are good machines and stock clutches do work but you may have to upgrade

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya me too. I told them I didn't want this POS and to swap me out for a new one.... They said that wasn't an option :( Now I have to rely on the dealers service dept to do a thorough job and get it done RIGHT. Scary.....

I would love for BRP to cash me out on the parts so I could put it towards aftermarket. That way I could do it myself the right way and have better parts. I would have more confidence out in the middle of nowhere that's for sure!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
there are a few out there that will back the bolt out when brand new it seems ,

they need to be tq correctly the dealer will cover everything and get u a new belt if its burnt ,

good thing is if ur dealer knows what there doing they will tq and check ur clutch all out

and can am is the only sxs with a 1 year cvt warranty so your fine relax drink a beer don't read to much of the bs on the forums ! lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jesus man, I read about this but hoped it was few and far between... I bought a Maverick 2 days ago and took it out with the wife today. We made it about 40 miles when the belt all of a sudden started to slip and smoke really bad. We immediately shut it down and I pulled it apart to investigate. The main bolt on the secondary had come loose and it shot through the side cover. Not a great start to this UTV relationship... The recall on the primary was done before I picked it up. Back to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm hoping they will replace the parts and re-install it properly this time around. I was told they will likely NOT replace the belt which I think is BS.... luckily a few RZR's showed up and gave me a tow.

Question is - it seems like a few on here have swapped to aftermarket clutches to be rid of the stock clutch issues. I was hoping I didn't have to do that. Is this necessary?

I had the same thing happen to me and they covered the belt. Hope that makes you feel a little bit better

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they need to be tq correctly the dealer will cover everything and get u a new belt if its burnt ,

good thing is if ur dealer knows what there doing they will tq and check ur clutch all out
And if the dealer doesn't know what they are doing???? It's a shame that I can't seem to trust someone will do their job correctly... I guess I have seen too much... HA!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same thing happen to me and they covered the belt. Hope that makes you feel a little bit better
No kidding eh? What was the outcome of your issue? They fixed everything back to NEW and you have been problem free ever since? How long ago was this? How many miles did you have when it happened? How many do you have now? Still running stock clutch?

·
Registered
410 Posts
And if the dealer doesn't know what they are doing???? It's a shame that I can't seem to trust someone will do their job correctly... I guess I have seen too much... HA!
Welcome to the forum. Sucks that you had a bad experience right out of the gate. I'm running stock clutches still and have been lucky so far but I feel it's a ticking time bomb, and hate the idea of spending the additional cash for piece of mind in a brand new machine. Good luck with the dealer, hope you get it back on the trail soon and get some fun out of it as it is a bad ass sxs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ya we were having a blast before this happened. This thing is sooo much fun! However, these trails in TN can take you pretty darn far into the middle of no-mans-land. I don't want to have another failure like this if I can help it. We got lucky that someone came by after about 45 mins. AND we got lucky where it happened. An hour earlier we were so far back in the trails - we probably wouldn't have seen a soul come by

·
Registered
252 Posts
No kidding eh? What was the outcome of your issue? They fixed everything back to NEW and you have been problem free ever since? How long ago was this? How many miles did you have when it happened? How many do you have now? Still running stock clutch?
They had it all back to new within a week that was at 800 miles I'm at 1,100 now and no problems. And yes I'm still running stock clutch. I had a complete new secondary, new belt, new belt cover. Plus I had all the the primary recalls done at the same time.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What is the correct method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
As-per Can Am the secondary bolt is a one time use bolt. So if they pulled your secondary off they should have replaced it with a new one. And it requires Loctite 243 (Blue) to be put on the threads and torqued to 15 lb/ft and then another 180 degrees. I bet the schmuck at the dealer couldn't read and didn't know to do the additional 180 degrees after torquing it. Also, it is supposed to cure for 6 hours before running the engine.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Don't know off hand What the bulletin says but I bet they didn't let the thread lock dry before driving it around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
get on facebook join the maverick addiction group and ask a question in there where is the best dealer to go to in your home town and head there

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If they also replaced your starter which is part of the recall but only applies to certain serial numbers, they have to pull the secondary and the CVT back cover. Here are the instructions for the starter replacement which included removing and reinstalling the secondary clutch.

page 7.jpg page 8.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Bro, My clutch went on me at Pismo Beach. . . .Seeing that RZR pulling you back was like dejavu. . . . .another mav pushing rope. . . .worse yet. . . . another mav pushing rope behind a RZR like I was. . .LOL :) But Seriously, It kinda scares me that the recall was already fixed before you picked it up, and it went again !!! I haven't been out since Pismo Beach and after I got it fixed, I hope I don't have anymore problems once I start going to buttercup regularly starting Halloween weekend. . . .

1 - 20 of 82 Posts