Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Amargosa Dunes, NV - Heading there this Sunday April 7

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  WyoDuner 
#1 ·
Anybody plan to be riding at Amargosa dunes this Sunday?

I know it'as a small area but I have never been there and plan to make a day trip there this coming Sunday. So far just myself and my son on his YFZ-450 quad. Another friend may go and be running his RZR Turbo 4 seater.

My plan is to leave Vegas around 8 to 9 am and ride a few hours up there and maybe grab a late lunch at the Area 51 Alien Center cafe/gas station/cathouse on the way back. Be back in Vegas before dark.

#3 ·
Yea, kind of a list minute trip. Been in Vegas a bit over 3 years now and have made a dozen trips to Glamis since then but not Amargosa or Dumont yet.... All my duning friends are in AZ.

Been riding Mesquite lately and liking that area. Planning more trips around there and when the weather warms up a little bit more I want to check out Virgin Mountains area more.

#5 ·
It's on my list, Skinner. I'm taking my neighbor who just got his first SxS so I want to break him in easy on sand. Another sand noob may come too so this is kind of a training exercise for some friends.

I doubt I will get to Dumont this season but almost certainly in the fall.

I'm kind of burned out on Glamis, believe it or not. 16 years going there and I never really loved the place and now that I am in Vegas, it's a bit longer of a drive so I need to start riding what's closer to me.

If you change your mind on Dumont, ping me and we can meet up at Amargosa. The plan is to depart Vegas between 8 and 9 am (not settled yet), head to Amargosa and dune a few hours then grab a late lunch at the Area 51 Alien Center just to check the place out.

#11 ·
Did 90 miles on Saturday in the desert. Amargosa is my second home. Been my go to spot since I was little. Dunefreak and Skinner have been my draw to dumont. But dunefreak just sits and looks at his car in the garage all the time now. #dadlifeLet me know a little more in advance and I’m always down to ride. Saturday’s are easier for me.

#14 ·
I did like it, Skinner. Would like it better if it were closer. ? It was about 1 hour 45 minute drive from my house. Put 55 miles of riding in at the dunes. I was actually surprised,how big some of the dunes were and how fast you could roll through a lot of it. I'm glad I threw the paddles back on for the ride.

I felt the sand was "slippery". Not sure how else to describe it.

I liked there were really no surprises like witches eyes or weird transitions.

Nice dunes for sure. Good place to take a noob since plenty is small gentle dunes and some nice big climbs and bowls too. Now if only it were 10 times bigger in area....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.