Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little bit done on my roof this weekend before heading back out. Pretty simple design. Had some old .63 aluminum laying around and have never been the one to buy something I can make. Just got to powdercoat to match the cage, add some vibration padding and rivet it down. Will post pic when it's done and installed. Going to start on the doors this next weekend. So far im about an 18 pack of into it as far as money haha. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
nice job man! Only 18 beers....you must be fast :crazy:

Reactions: Barbosa75

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does your 40" light bar, Glare on hood ,,or back in the cab, with it mounted back that far ??

I want mine protected when i mount it , but have heard other guys having to move them out and up to avoid the glare on the hood, which interfears with their sight. ( like driving with your dome light on at night, in your truck ) ??

·
Registered
548 Posts
Does your 40" light bar, Glare on hood ,,or back in the cab, with it mounted back that far ??

I want mine protected when i mount it , but have heard other guys having to move them out and up to avoid the glare on the hood, which interfears with their sight. ( like driving with your dome light on at night, in your truck ) ??
I was wondering the same thing. I want to put a 40" light bar in about the same location. I wonder if spot or flood makes the difference in glare. I was thinking about getting the spot/flood combo bar, but maybe the spot would be better mounted in that location to avoid any glare. I have never used a LED light bar, so I don't know which way to go. I was also planning on making a roof. still undecided if i will use aluminum or some black lexan or plexiglass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I worried about that before I installed. With the hood being white I kinda notice some glare but nothing too serious that interferes with my driving vision. Really it sits about the same depth into the cage as it would on top just lower. Mine is the spot/flood combo also. I just didn't want to mount on top of the cage without a light bar frame structure. But no complaints so far on the mount location.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. I couldn't bring myself to spend all that money on a light bar and mount it somewhere where it could get taken out by a low hanging branch or a rollover. Plus I think it gives it a nice clean look when it is mounted under the cross bar on the cage. Oh yeah, nice job on the roof... looks good, and I'm a homebrew type too. If I can make it, it just doesn't make sense to buy it!

·
Banned
546 Posts
Looks real good!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you just make the bends by hand? How do you plan to fasten it. Nice job BTW. I want to build my own too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Got a little bit done on my roof this weekend before heading back out. Pretty simple design. Had some old .63 aluminum laying around and have never been the one to buy something I can make. Just got to powdercoat to match the cage, add some vibration padding and rivet it down. Will post pic when it's done and installed. Going to start on the doors this next weekend. So far im about an 18 pack of into it as far as money haha. Cheers!

I really like it. Can I ask what you are using to cut this alum? Shears? Nibbler? Just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you just make the bends by hand? How do you plan to fasten it. Nice job BTW. I want to build my own too.
No bends just cuts. Actually just went old school and made a cardboard template, traced the cage and the applied to the aluminum to be cut. I plan on just Riveting the top on like the old buggies. But may come up with a fastener system. Pretty simple little build.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice job. Maybe some flat head self tappers might work better than rivets, so it can removed or tightened easily.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice clean roof! I have a custom cage with roof that uses Dzus fasteners...clean choice if you want to buy and spend the time to do it. Otherwise there's lots of cheap and easy ways to bolt it on with stuff you probably have laying around the garage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How about using something like this and nut and bolt.not sure if it would be strong enough but an idea..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yes they work but pia to remove roof.
I have dzus fasteners and remove roof in 15 seconds literally and fasten in 15 sec.
Only 1/4 turn and out comes fasteners.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've always used a Skill saw and clamp myself up a guide for long straight cuts on aluminum. 10/32 or 1/4-20 stainless buttons heads work nice for holding it down if your going through tabs.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
made a roof for mine to and just riveted it on !

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
A little of topic, but what kind of light bar and mounts do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Made my roof yesterday. 1/8" aluminum. I just used self tapping screws snd screwed it on with some double sided padded tape inbetween the roof and cage. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts