Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe I'm just a chicken little but if you catch damaged bearings soon enough you can get away with just changing the bearings. Or, you can roll the dice hoping for the best and potentially spin a bearing requiring a new crank and a rod or three. You certainly have a point and I'm not saying you're wrong but I have never seen an engine filled with glittery oil escape bearing damage. I've been in the OP's position and rolled the dice as you and the other guy are suggesting and it cost me 10X what it would have had I been more patient and just done the tear down from the start.
Thats fine.
I don't disagree. But you asked, so told yo what I would probably do.
No hard feelings given or taken.
Keep us posted as to how it comes out please!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thats fine.
I don't disagree. But you asked, so told yo what I would probably do.
No hard feelings given or taken.
Keep us posted as to how it comes out please!
None taken on any of the comments. Like I said I just bought this thing and everyone viewpoint is different from their own experiences. Thank you all and I will post what I end up seeing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So how does one get this much dirt into the oil pan of a motor?

In all my years I have never seen that much crud in an oil pan. And I have been through a few motors. They must have not run any filter on this for a time?

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
989 Posts
Wtf is that? Whats its consistency? Is it solid? Squishy sludge? Magnetic?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I see you had low coolant as well. Doesn't look like any evidence of coolant mixing with oil.

How do the plugs look? Any evidence of burning coolant on the plugs?

Its at the point I would be personally tearing it right down. Too many weird things happening...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Mostly plastic of various size and consistency. Timing chain guide? Those look good but I haven't split the block yet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
View attachment 268475
Mostly plastic of various size and consistency. Timing chain guide? Those look good but I haven't split the block yet.
Or maybe its some of your teeth off of that gear?

Something else as well, you mentuon the oil was just touching the stick after the first ride. You need to check the oil in these things about 30 seconds after its running. If you wait too long the oil will show low. Dry sump system...

Maybe you knew that but just wanted to mention it...

You are this far in now. Complete tear down for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I see you had low coolant as well. Doesn't look like any evidence of coolant mixing with oil.

How do the plugs look? Any evidence of burning coolant on the plugs?

Its at the point I would be personally tearing it right down. Too many weird things happening...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
White/Gray fuzzy could definitely be coolant, should be more tan, one thing they been run a log time, pretty wide gap.

·
Registered
989 Posts
White/Grey fuzzy could definitely be coolant, should be more tan, one thing they been run a log time, pretty wide gap.
Looks like some kind of residue on there. That could be from the overheating as well. But a head gasket leak could have been what made it hot lol. Fairly low milage machine the plugs should be good forever still.

Too bad its all apart now as far as doing a coolant system pressure check to see if it holds.

The coolant went down 100% for sure since you bought and ride it OP? Like a lot or???

·
Registered
989 Posts
OP says there is evidence of a new long block in there. Who knows who did what. He found one loose screw. Maybe they missed a head bolt lol.

Knowing all of those details I personally couldn't help myself but to tear into it and see wtf is going on in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So I found the culprit in the timing chain tensioner. The opposite side was gone and it started to eat into the case. (Plastic and some aluminum) This must be a close to new block the chain and everything else looks close to new. I must have lost tension when I lost oil pressure. I think the assembly of the magneto cover was possibly poor not all bolts were tightened when I removed it so it might have seeped a little water into the oil because it wasn't noticable for 100miles roughly. I'm not sure if the turbo bearings being out cooked the oil and things went south from there. There is no evidence of head gasket issue from the outside of the block and the oil was darker but low not high with water in it. I am pretty inclined to flush things out good put a new tensioner, turbo needed gaskets and throw it back together. I think I got lucky with machining idling when I lost oil pressure. Am I off base with that diagnosis?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That's a tough call..... You could be just fine, or not. Sounds like the aluminum in the oil was from the timing chain hitting the case. Since it's that far down would it be that much to open it up to check the mains?

Here is a pretty cool tear down vid

·
Registered
989 Posts
You would lose tension with low oil pressure yes. The tensioner is ran off of oil pressure.

I might be inclined to just put it back together too. But that's a gamble.

Where did the coolant go though? How low did it get, how much did you lose?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You would lose tension with low oil pressure yes. The tensioner is ran off of oil pressure.

I might be inclined to just put it back together too. But that's a gamble.

Where did the coolant go though? How low did it get, how much did you lose? Don't have a good feel for that. Half a bottle maybe not sure if it was low to start.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts