Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 XRS Turbo RR
51 Posts
I really like my Aluma while not the model u have it works great. We use it for many things.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have that exact trailer. It came with 15" wheels with Westlake tires. Load range E. Tandem axle definitely not required for what you are towing. If your tire pressures are maintained properly you don't have to worry about heat build up with the load you are carrying. I am towing an RC so I am not sure on the tongue weight for your Maxx. I load mine with the front tires about 10" back from the front rail which gives me about 400lb of tongue weight. No issues running through the mountains here in AZ.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a RAM TRX for tow vehicle.
good point on tongue weight
I was told that one should not tow a SXS facing backwards if you have windshield -- ???
check out a flack jacket for towing with the windshield on. Worth the money if you ask me, we have one on our boat to.

·
Registered
2020 x3 turbo
39 Posts
I also have that exact trailer. It came with 15" wheels with Westlake tires. Load range E. Tandem axle definitely not required for what you are towing. If your tire pressures are maintained properly you don't have to worry about heat build up with the load you are carrying. I am towing an RC so I am not sure on the tongue weight for your Maxx. I load mine with the front tires about 10" back from the front rail which gives me about 400lb of tongue weight. No issues running through the mountains here in AZ.
True. Sounds like a good setup.
You are correct, tandem is not required to tow a ~1500 lb load. Load range E tire is more than enough.
I am on my 4th RV with a few blowouts, (had both- single and tandem setup). If I have a choice btw single or double axle, I will go with the double. Much smoother ride, I can see it in the rearview mirror when going down a rough mountain road to our favorite boondocking place. Torsion axle is a plus on a single axle.
With that being said; considering that we need an 11-foot min trailer, and if I am buying a long trailer like that I will opt for a tandem for few reasons: I will have the capability to haul heavier things with it should I need it, resale in the future is always quick. Construction and landscape folks grab it quick.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well - tandem axle 16 footer alum trailers go between 8500 - 10 grand these days. so, no go on that
do any of you have MR Steel trailers? If yes -- are they good?
they are built in PHX and the tandem axle 16 footers are about 400 lb lighter than the comparable trailers from other builders.

thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
If a trailer is 400lb lighter than the competitors it means it isn't built very well. 400lb is a LOT of steel crossmembers/thinner wall...

·
Registered
2019 X3 XRC
277 Posts
I've towed this Triton AUT1482 about it least 15000 miles thru the mountains of WV.Not one problem.I don't know why someone wouldn't carry a spare whether it's a single.or do u le axle.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If a trailer is 400lb lighter than the competitors it means it isn't built very well. 400lb is a LOT of steel crossmembers/thinner wall...
It has steel floor instead of wood. Powder coated

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
My single axle trailer is one of the heaviest at just over 2,200LBS. Mine is only light compared to a tandem. I also use it behind my smaller truck to haul my equipment where a tandem trailer would exceed my combined tow rating requiring me to always need to use my fuel guzzling Cummins.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That would make it heavier... Even aluminum trailers typically weigh basically the same as the steel/wood ones, trust me, the heavier the trailer is empty, the better it is built.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love my Aluma 7212 with pull out ramp. It is extremely well made!
It is perfect for towing my 64" wide X3 but not much else. If I wanted to go with wider paddle tires for the dunes it will not fit. However, it fits in and out of a standard garage door so I can store it indoors.
Life is a compromise. Choose what works best for you and consider all variables.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why does the amount of money spent on a side by side have anything to do with the number of axles on a trailer?
Had a friend with single axel trailer with no brakes have a driver pull out in front of him - he ended up flipping his trailer and sxs - you get what you pay for. Most trailers are great until something goes wrong. People don't wreck on purpose.

·
Registered
2020 x3 turbo
39 Posts
There are pros and cons to each, single vs double, aluminum vs steel.
Aluminum's advantage is lighter weight, easier to move by hand, and "gutless tow vehicle" can be used :p, other than that not much else.
Some say alu is corrosion-resistant, but that is not entirely accurate.
The downside to aluminum is it is less ductile than steel. Weld joints/seams can be brittle, harder to repair.
It is easy to weld an eyelet a bracket or what not to a steel trailer. If it gets dinged, bent, scratched, it is easy to hammer it back and repaint it.
Done metal fab for years, seen stress cracks and failure on welded aluminum.
With that being said, aluminum is not that bad :) there are many pontoon boats and larger trailers made of aluminum, all seem to hold up fine.

·
Registered
2020 x3 turbo
39 Posts
I love my Aluma 7212 with pull out ramp. It is extremely well made!
It is perfect for towing my 64" wide X3 but not much else. If I wanted to go with wider paddle tires for the dunes it will not fit. However, it fits in and out of a standard garage door so I can store it indoors.
Life is a compromise. Choose what works best for you and consider all variables.
View attachment 275448
Got to say.... That is a really nice setup. Neatly done! (y)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Had a friend with single axel trailer with no brakes have a driver pull out in front of him - he ended up flipping his trailer and sxs - you get what you pay for. Most trailers are great until something goes wrong. People don't wreck on purpose.
If you honestly think a double axle trailer magically wouldn't flip when a single axle did... Wow. I don't even know what to say. I had an acquaintance with a triple axle gooseneck equipment trailer, with 3 8,000lb axles. Hauling just two side by side's, slid off a road and rolled about 6 times. It would have happened whether the trailer had one axle, two axles, or 6 axles. Your narrative of double axle = good, and single axle = bad makes absolutely zero sense.

I have an 18' dual axle flat deck big tex car hauler, and a single axle 14' with ramp gate trailer I had built to haul a side by side, and the single axle trailer is built 10x as well as the dual axle. I'm going to sell the dual axle, I have no need for it anymore.
Again, axle count means NOTHING.

·
Registered
2020 x3 turbo
39 Posts
I think what Bruce was saying having brakes on the trailer can make a difference. Usually a single axle trailer don't come with brakes unless specially built. Double axle trailers usually have brakes at least on one axle.
I think by law anything over 3500lb capacity must have brakes. I could be wrong.
20 or so years ago when I lived in Wisconsin, I had a boat trailer, single axle with 6K capacity, was hauling a 20somefooter cabin cruiser. Never had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think what Bruce was saying having brakes on the trailer can make a difference. Usually a single axle trailer don't come with brakes unless specially built. Double axle trailers usually have brakes at least on one axle.
I think by law anything over 3500lb capacity must have brakes. I could be wrong.
20 or so years ago when I lived in Wisconsin, I had a boat trailer, single axle with 6K capacity, was hauling a 20somefooter cabin cruiser. Never had any trouble with it.
OH if that's what he meant then I didn't understand that. Absolutely unequivocally brakes are a requirement for safety imo. Again, axle number is irrelevant at this weight, but brakes (In my OPINION) should be mandatory on anything over like 10'.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts