Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
My problem is a tight space for storage of a tandem axle trailer. BTW these come with electric breaks
I would make sure to do a test run with Can Am loaded on the trailer before you buy it. Go down some really bump roads at speeds above 45 MPH to see if its going to start swaying. It really depends on how well you can get the trailer balanced. I have a super heavy duty 16ft single axle trailer that I haul my Can Am on and it wont sway at any speed My Cummins can do.

Reactions: Scott F

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tandem axle won’t help your swaying if the trailer is not loaded properly, look where the axle is placed on the trailer he is looking at, it is towards the rear of the trailer, it won’t sway if you pull the RR max all the way to the front. Trust me I have the same trailer and can pull it as fast as I want it never moves. I also double pull it behind my Fifth wheel, pulls like a dream.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Well hell, I may just throw some brakes on mine and upgrade to better tires then.
Good Brakes, and heavy duty tires are key to running on a single Axle. I am running 7K axle with 14ply heavy duty tires and upgraded wheels. I only use the Single Axle because its my heavy duty equipment trailer I already had, so no reason to get another trailer.

·
Registered
2021 XRC Turbo
30 Posts
I can find D load for it, but they’re 14inch wheels so that should work and limited selection. Came with C load Chinese blowout specials on it. Ordering brakes tomorrow anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I can find D load for it, but they’re 14inch wheels so that should work and limited selection. Came with C load Chinese blowout specials on it. Ordering brakes tomorrow anyway.
make sure the tires are steel side walls, not the nylon.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
808 Posts
Yah 14" such balls. At least replacing the Kung-Flu shit tires you will be way ahead. I used surge not electric as didn't see the need for electric. I did add a lock out solenoid for reverse so you don't fight locking issues on some backing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was referring to the trailer azzx was looking at, it comes with 15” wheels
I’m not aware if you can get E rated tires for 14” wheels.

·
Registered
388 Posts
These are GREAT tires, also rated for 81MPH. Make sure the tire you buy has an a high enough speed rating for the driving you are doing ;)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Yah 14" such balls. At least replacing the Kung-Flu shit tires you will be way ahead. I used surge not electric as didn't see the need for electric. I did add a lock out solenoid for reverse so you don't fight locking issues on some backing.
The advantages of electric over surge is you can manually engage electric and you can't with surge. This is really good to have for two situations. Ice,and swaying.

Reactions: 2020RR and Doggy

·
Registered
341 Posts
People who tell you that you need a tandem axle... No need for such a light load, just bring a spare wheel and tire for the trailer. Hell, I just got back from a 7000km trip with a single axle, no issues. Keep bearings greased and tight and send it. Brakes are nice for swaying, but useless in snow and ice. They lock up so easily you need to back the braking down to almost nothing. If it starts swaying just accelerate. Pulls the combo straight.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
People who tell you that you need a tandem axle... No need for such a light load, just bring a spare wheel and tire for the trailer. Hell, I just got back from a 7000km trip with a single axle, no issues. Keep bearings greased and tight and send it. Brakes are nice for swaying, but useless in snow and ice. They lock up so easily you need to back the braking down to almost nothing. If it starts swaying just accelerate. Pulls the combo straight.
One thing I disagree with is electric brakes are useless with ice. Yes you need to adjust your electric brakes down to 1-3 on ice, but I have saved my truck coming down a hill on ice when truck started sliding sideways then I manually applied electric brakes to put enough drag on truck to straighten out preventing a crash. If you know what your doing electric brakes will always have an advantage over surge brake,or no brakes at all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One thing I disagree with is electric brakes are useless with ice. Yes you need to adjust your electric brakes down to 1-3 on ice, but I have saved my truck coming down a hill on ice when truck started sliding sideways then I manually applied electric brakes to put enough drag on truck to straighten out preventing a crash. If you know what your doing electric brakes will always have an advantage over surge brake,or no brakes at all.
Oh for sure i'd rather have them than not

·
Registered
2020 x3 turbo
39 Posts
Single vs double , the great debate.
single = less rolling resistance easier to move by hand, less parts to maintain.
Double= more parts, but less stress on the tires, less chance of overheating and blowout, but most importantly in rough roads it is less bumpy having a tandom.
If you hit a turtle (or some shit that has fallen of the car front of you) on the road, a single axle will bounce the load substantially, vs the tandem just pivot btw the two axles, soaking up the jolt.
That is why I choose the tandem.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts