Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently hooked up the trailer and made the hour trip to my closest Can Am dealer to purchase a Maverick Trial 1000 in camo. I'm really excited there is a sporty trail alternative to the RZR and Arctic cat as i am limited in my area to 50" trails. The problem is, when we started it up the thing smoked liked crazy. And I dont mean a little smoke burning off the muffler. It was rolling out of the tail pipe and had an awful smell that kind of smelled like plastic. I took it down the road and when i stopped I was met with a wall of smoke from behind me. I purchased a brand new Honda ATV in 2013 and didn't have any issues with smoke. I spoke with friends who have never had issues with smoke. The salesman played it off as they all do that when there "new" from the factory. Can't really trust him as he is just trying to make a sale. So did any of you guys have any issues with excessive smoke when you purchased your machines?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorry, just now spotted this...

Mine new with near zero hours showing, demonstrated similar stinky odor during roughly 8 miles on pavement. I'd read about smoke burn-off and smell, so figured that as being normal during initial break-in as your dealer stated. Others having rolled more time and distance can chime in with their own experiences...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just had that normal new burning off smell. No visible smoke. IMHO, I think you did the right thing on passing on that particular unit. I would have done the same. I’ve got 1200 trouble free miles on mine, so I’m happy to recommend the Trail, just find a different one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I agree that you made the right decision on not purchasing. Something doesn't seem right as it shouldn't "smoke". My new X3 had what others said, normal new burning off smell. It didn't last long, maybe 2-3 hours of cockpit time.

However, I wouldn't let this be a determining factor on purchasing a new Maverick Trial. I've seriously considered purchasing one myself just for all of the trails we have around my area. I just think that something was bad from the factory or the dealer didn't assemble it correctly. I'd go to another dealer or ask for different unit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine did not smoke. I don't even remember much of a smell.

I made sure mine was not a show room/test drive model. I do the same with my trucks, etc. I just don't trust people. I would have passed on the smoke.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They coat exhaust inside and out with oils. Smells bad looks bad. Burns off shortly depending on how much the put on. Bury it on a snow bank and it cleans up quickly

·
Registered
349 Posts
I ride a lot and have seen Honda, Can-am, and Polaris do this same smoking. New machines really stink on the first ride. They have to burn off the protective assembly coatings and stuff that keep them new looking even if they sit for a year. We see it every time. Most also turn some of their exhaust pipe purple on the first ride. I remember a Honda ATV that made its exhaust look like a bright eggplant on the first ride.

The dealer was correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine smoked REALLY bad as I was test riding it around the dealership. The salesman told me Can-Am was the worst (or best depending on how you look at it) for heavily coating everything in oil. When I blipped the throttle hard a huge cloud of smoke came out. The whole thing smelled terrible. A few hours into my first ride everything burned off and smell went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
YEP, all new motorized units (motorcycle, car, tractor, go cart etc) will need a little run time (hot) to 'burn off' all mfg coatings, paints, oils, protectants and etc. In my early mechanical career I worked at a John Deere Ag dealership and was in charge of all pre delivery setups (Chain saw to tractors) Every unit has some degree of 'burn off'.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Happy with mine! Scooted prox 30 miles around outskirts of my small town doing break-in miles with lots of throttle modulation. So very fun and I only rode dirt roads about 1/4 of that time. Gas it and its gone - even with relatively light pedal foot. Stopped to let it heat cycle a few minutes and no stinky odor. Snapped a few camera pics for a forum avatar.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to head to another dealer and check out another trail machine next week. I definitely want to stick with Can Am over the other manufactures. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked out another Maverick Trail at different dealer, and yes it did smoke. Not quite as bad as the first one but some smoke and some stinky plastic smell. Also, Can Am extended their warranty promotion for the Maverick Trail to the end of April 2018. That is the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and bought the second unit i looked at. I dont think the smoking issue is too much of a concern.
IMG_5775.PNG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts