Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add coms, audio, and gps.

so, I’m not sure if I need to break this down into 5 different topics or if we can knock it out with just this one thread.

Here is the “short” of what I’m looking for.
All in 1: in car communication, car-car coms, Music listening option on headphones with toggle to speakers (open to options, only must have would be that it is all hard wired) , all accessible in gps lcd display….

from whatI’ve seen in my searches this does not exactly exist in the world.

If it does please leave a link. lol

I guess what I’m looking for is some opinions and dos/don’ts on trying to put a system together based on the communities experience. And really just general ideas to point me in a good direction.

Here are my priorities highest to lowest

1.All coms and music from one access point.

1.5 good headphones

2.Ability to switch between music from headphones to sound bar or similar.

3.trail GPS

i’m new to this world so if you need more info from me just ax.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Read up on Rugged Radios or PCI

they both have an intercom which allows you to speak (VOX ) inside the car you can Bluetooth phone music into this.
if you go tablet for the GPS you can have stored music on tablet that can Bluetooth into the intercom as well as navigation.

to talk /transmit outside the car you need a radio - this is called car to car

I don’t have the radio & intercom on a switch I turn each device ON separately By their own power button.
for instance you and a buddy want to go for a quick cruise in one car you only need the intercom turned on

wet sounds has a powered speaker bar or you can go speaker pods w/ amp or a roof type all in one system

to stop Bluetooth to intercom turn it off then turn on speaker “Radio” system the phone / tablet should switch over (connect )

GPS
stand alone Lowrance, Garmin etc or Tablet ( use apps for gps) some units have built in sat antenna but I suggest getting a exterior antenna, they get better signal and update much faster - update meaning you will know you blew a turn in a few feet rather than a few yards, when traveling faster you can blow a turn by a 1/4 mile by the time you come to a stop and turn around

my advise is to figure where and how your going to mount everything

also electrical switching keep them higher up on the dash so you can see them with out looking down - switches on center consul between the seats don’t work all that great! I had to figure that out the hard way!
Switch pros for the WIN!

look at some pics for locations

Reactions: BigRhollywood

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Based on your post, if you value the music quality over everything else, the PCI TRAX system is the foundation to build your project on. It is currently the only true stereo option available. It will interface with your communication radio just fine. Bluetooth to your favorite external speaker is possible as well. If you want to switch between earphone and speaker output, a simple switch will do the trick but you will have to custom wire it yourself. It is a fairly simple and straightforward project. By using a tablet for navigation, you can get audio inputs to the intercom and have music that is stored on it for use on the trail as well.

Your biggest hurdle will be to find a headset or helmet speaker to reproduce the sound quality to your liking. Most have poor quality speakers designed to reproduce only a fraction of the frequencies used in music and are tailored to the human voice more than music. Depending on whether you will ride with a headset or helmet, the best option to get the sound quality to your ears will be in-ear monitors or transducers which aren’t cheap but work amazing and will block out external noise while riding to give the best possible experience. It’s a tall order to get everything to work optimally to give you what you want, but it is doable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The PCI Trax is ran in Stereo it’s the only intercom that does.

FYI -
all the others are ran in MONO and head sets and helmets are interchangeable

So if you take a buddy that Doesn’t have a Trax system his head phones / helmet will NOT work in your car.
or
if you take your Trax helmet / headset in a buddy s car without Trax it won’t work

so look at all systems and do your home work

·
Registered
2018 Maverick X3 Max X rs Turbo R
54 Posts
Looking to add coms, audio, and gps.

so, I’m not sure if I need to break this down into 5 different topics or if we can knock it out with just this one thread.

Here is the “short” of what I’m looking for.
All in 1: in car communication, car-car coms, Music listening option on headphones with toggle to speakers (open to options, only must have would be that it is all hard wired) , all accessible in gps lcd display….

from whatI’ve seen in my searches this does not exactly exist in the world.

If it does please leave a link. lol

I guess what I’m looking for is some opinions and dos/don’ts on trying to put a system together based on the communities experience. And really just general ideas to point me in a good direction.

Here are my priorities highest to lowest

1.All coms and music from one access point.

1.5 good headphones

2.Ability to switch between music from headphones to sound bar or similar.

3.trail GPS

i’m new to this world so if you need more info from me just ax.
My approach was to purchase and install both the PCI Trax intercom, the Kenwood VHF car to car radio, and a Rockford Fosgate stereo. The added benefit is having a larger screen for my backup camera, and I installed an Audio Interrupt RCA switcher for when I am parked, listening to music, and want to pipe the car to car radio comms to the stereo speakers. Here's a link, and a picture of the center console from Extreme Performance.

It all works great, though I do have a lot of electronic design and maintenance experience, which was helpful getting everything wired up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My approach was to purchase and install both the PCI Trax intercom, the Kenwood VHF car to car radio, and a Rockford Fosgate stereo. The added benefit is having a larger screen for my backup camera, and I installed an Audio Interrupt RCA switcher for when I am parked, listening to music, and want to pipe the car to car radio comms to the stereo speakers. Here's a link, and a picture of the center console from Extreme Performance.

It all works great, though I do have a lot of electronic design and maintenance experience, which was helpful getting everything wired up.

Your setup looks pretty sweet. Do you also have gps on the center screen.

·
Registered
2018 Maverick X3 Max X rs Turbo R
54 Posts
Your setup looks pretty sweet. Do you also have gps on the center screen.
Thanks!

I've got a Garmin Overlander unit that mounts to the Ram ball mount next to the Switch Pros. The PMX-8DH head unit is just the stereo and backup camera video.

·
Registered
115 Posts
To note, PCI, while an excellent company and a good product is not the only option for full Bluetooth stereo quality. I run the UTVCOM intercom/radio setup on both my cars and compared to the sound quality of PCI, they are on par. #1 UTV ATV Stereo Intercom Systems - TheCOM All have great customer service but for me, UTVCOM has the CS has been outstanding.
Rugged Radio sound quality did not impress me.

I am agnostic when it comes to brands.
For example, I run the air pumper from Rugged in my XRC. Really like it with the adjustable speed control
PCI has great maps and setups for Lowrance. (which I run)
UTVCOM, lots of features, good sound great customer service. Decent price point.
Automotive design Camera lens Car Motor vehicle Reflex camera
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Hood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts