Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else having problems getting it to register temps? When I start my machine the light in the gauge turns on and the needle moves a split second but then does not go up no matter how long I ride. I've grounded it on one of the bolts on the rear right passenger side of the engine. Could it be a grounding issue? Where have you guys grounded it? Can I just run the ground straight to the battery?

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I first grounded the sender to chassis, thought I was wrong( directions said engine) so I changed it to the engine and mine is doing exactly the same as yours. Sounds like a bad batch of something! What about it Nate? Can you fix us up?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I first grounded the sender to chassis, thought I was wrong( directions said engine) so I changed it to the engine and mine is doing exactly the same as yours. Sounds like a bad batch of something! What about it Nate? Can you fix us up?
What temperatures are you riding in? Mine barely moves right now but I am riding in temps close to freezing. Have you tested it by hitting the sensor with a heat gun or even a lighter? I have mine grounded to the chassis but I made sure the continuity between the fame and engine ground was less than 1 ohm of resistance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What temperatures are you riding in? Mine barely moves right now but I am riding in temps close to freezing. Have you tested it by hitting the sensor with a heat gun or even a lighter? I have mine grounded to the chassis but I made sure the continuity between the fame and engine ground was less than 1 ohm of resistance.
I've been riding in the 70's 50mph for at least 10 miles and still no movement. I ended up grounding directly to a bolt on the engine.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've been riding in the 70's 50mph for at least 10 miles and still no movement. I ended up grounding directly to a bolt on the engine.
Under those conditions, you should be registering on the gauge. Where did you mount the sensor? can you get to it with a heat gun or even a blow dryer if you pull the CVT cover to test it and see if it is even working?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Under those conditions, you should be registering on the gauge. Where did you mount the sensor? can you get to it with a heat gun or even a blow dryer if you pull the CVT cover to test it and see if it is even working?
I actually mounted my sensor in almost the exact location you did. I will run a blow dryer on it to see if it moves. Could it be possible that it is not getting a good ground? Is the engine painted? I figure if the engine is painting the bolt and the inside threads should provide a decent ground..

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
could very well be the ground. Do you have access to a meter to check the resistance? If so, check the resistance between the location your are grounding to and the frame ground back by the battery. Do the same for the gauge. If the readings are around 1 ohm or less the ground should be OK. You can also check to make sure your ground and lead wire coming off of the sensor aren't shorted to one another.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts