Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I am ready to take the plunge and buy some new clutches only for peace of mind as my stock clutching has not had any issues (yet).

Airdam/CVtech Primary STM secondary:
I have been in touch with Adam Harvey over at Airdam clutches and he was very responsive and answered all of my questions promptly. He quoted me $1375 plus shipping for a primary and secondary complete setup and said lead time is about 5-7 days to get them shipped after I order.

QSC Primary STM secondary:
I have not yet spoken to Kris over at Cold Blooded Performance or anyone at QSC directly. But many of you guys on here are running this setup and seem to like it. Looks like lead time may be an issue and I am not certain what Kris is quoting for a QSC/STM setup these days.

So I am looking for feedback from you guys that have either of these setups.
- How happy are you with it
- How much did you pay for it
- How was the customer service before/during/ and after the sale
- have you had any problems with it (if so, explain)
- If you had problems, did the seller take care of you
- any additional comments you want to add

·
Registered
649 Posts
There are tons of reviews on here.... Go back and look at some of the posts and you will find more than plenty of info on this subject....

Ive had both and tested the hell out of them... I do know that now Adam H. recommends all cvtech on the mav have the STM secondary? This was not the case a very short time ago...

QSC
-Yes Im happy with my QSC/STM Combo

-Can't Remember price

-Customer Service Second to none with Adam at QSC and Chris

-No Problems...with the exception of a little tuning and helix change

AirDam

If you don't have anything good to say don't say it at all....

One thing is for sure if you can get Adam H to have good customer service it would mean allot...

I have only tested his CVtech Primary and Stock Secondary with Dalton Secondary Spring... For a mud runner it would be fine....Just not for me...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been running the QSC/STM setup and its works as advertised.I can't remember exactly what I payed but it was between $1400-$1500 for the setup.I never had a issue with it and I got about 2000 miles on it.I have only dealt with Adam at QSC and I have never had a problem reaching him whenever I have a question.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are tons of reviews on here.... Go back and look at some of the posts and you will find more than plenty of info on this subject....

Ive had both and tested the hell out of them... I do know that now Adam H. recommends all cvtech on the mav have the STM secondary? This was not the case a very short time ago...

QSC
-Yes Im happy with my QSC/STM Combo

-Can't Remember price

-Customer Service Second to none with Adam at QSC and Chris

-No Problems...with the exception of a little tuning and helix change

AirDam

If you don't have anything good to say don't say it at all....

One thing is for sure if you can get Adam H to have good customer service it would mean allot...

I have only tested his CVtech Primary and Stock Secondary with Dalton Secondary Spring... For a mud runner it would be fine....Just not for me...

Thanks for the candid feedback....I actually have a call set to speak with Kris in a few minutes....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been running the QSC/STM setup and its works as advertised.I can't remember exactly what I payed but it was between $1400-$1500 for the setup.I never had a issue with it and I got about 2000 miles on it.I have only dealt with Adam at QSC and I have never had a problem reaching him whenever I have a question.
Thanks chrisbw

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have the QSC/STM but havent been trail riding yet.Just down the street, but that was enough to know its way better.
Glamisfan & Andy both have the CVtech clutch from Airdam. Maybe you should see what they think.
Personally I would go with the QSC primary again after seeing the CVtech. The QSC looks way stronger due to the billet cap.
Also when you talk to Kris ask him the specific differences in the two clutches

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I have a brp/brp clutch so far so good, :)

lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Speaking as an individual.

I have a QSC STM setup from Kris at CBP. I can't say enough good things about him. The customer service is beyond good and if I don't get him on the phone he gets back to me within a couple hours. We've gone through a lot of testing and tuning, a couple spring changes, a handful of helix changes and its amazing. There is no way a CV Tech will beat me off the line. Overall I'm very pleased and would do it all again. I gave airdam a chance and well.....I have a QSC.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
How bout top end? just curious. Guess I'll find out in a couple months, eh Marty?

·
Registered
424 Posts
How bout top end? just curious. Guess I'll find out in a couple months, eh Marty?
From the testing I've done. With both primaries having an STM secondary. Even puling measurements with both clutches off the machine. The CV Tech is a larger diameter clutch. But the larger diameter primary is useless because the secondary is the limiting factor. This is because the belt is only so long and will only go so far down in the secondary. Meaning there is only so much usable surface area on the primary. With that being said, both clutches increase your overall mph by offering a higher final ratio. But within less than 1 mph of one another. So in that area they are equal.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone, thank you for the feedback. Both clutches seem to have good reviews from Maverick owners but I decided to go with the QSC/STM setup from Kris. Both Kris and Adam were very professional and answered my questions. My primary reason for going with the QSC is because of the ease of adjustability. I can adjust the weights much easier and it won't cost me any extra as the kit comes with everything you would need. That and there seems to be more people running the QSC from what I can see from the forums.

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
649 Posts
It is not Easier to adj weights on the QSC...by any means.... If some o e has told u that it is not true.... It takes me 3 times longer to change a tune in the QSC than the CvTech. .... But the changes have more effect when u get down to the details. And thats what its All about if u really want ur shit perfect...

The CVTech is as simple as one bolt and one nut and change some weights or spring and ur done... QSC is much more involved ...but still simple just more components...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I smell a shit storm a brewin.

Reactions: Driller77

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does either clutch have more of a purpose than the other? Like maybe QSC is better for trail n mud riding or ,maybe be the other way around?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I've read numerous times good luck getting a hold of AIRDAM...people trying for long periods without results. So if that is the case it is simply a matter of customer service that should be the determining factor here. The QSC guys are helpful, the Cold Blooded Performance guys are as well, no one can get a hold of AIRDAM except when he wants to come smart off on a thread.....seems a pretty simple decision right?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I've read numerous times good luck getting a hold of AIRDAM...people trying for long periods without results. So if that is the case it is simply a matter of customer service that should be the determining factor here. The QSC guys are helpful, the Cold Blooded Performance guys are as well, no one can get a hold of AIRDAM except when he wants to come smart off on a thread.....seems a pretty simple decision right?
BINGO!!! We have a winner!!!
Even if the clutches gave exactly the same performance improvement, the difference then becomes customer service. If someone does a little reading on this forum,they will quickly learn that many forum members have complained about NOT being able to get in touch with or get a reply from Airdam Adam. I don't recall seeing 1 post about someone having any problems with speaking or emailing with Kris. So even IF the airdam clutch was a better performing clutch, IMO it wouldn't matter. All the forum members who have complained can't be wrong. I believe they are just the tip of the iceberg that we can see. JMO

Reactions: Clifs maverick
1 - 20 of 55 Posts