Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pick up the Maverick, the salesman told me about a precleaner that came with the Maverick that I could install if I wanted. Then the sales setup guy came out and tried to tell me that this prefilter would be installed where the CVT intake was. He thought that the CVT intake was the engine intake and I told him that was wrong, go to YouTube and watch the videos CanAm put up, and it clearly shows that location to be the CVT intake so he scratched his head and said, "Hmmm, why doesn't CanAm show us these videos?" We then took off the hood, removed the airbox lid, and figured out where this filter goes. At that time I figured out that it was a POSTfilter and not a PREfilter. The main filter is a pleated filter like on any new vehicle. The postfilter is an oiled foam filter that traps any silt that makes its way through the main filter. This is an excellent design and really shows their attention to detail. The instructions say to clean the postfilter and relube it after every 100 miles or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Take that entire airbox off cause they leaked like hell in Glamis. Besides when it is removed and replaced with a K/N air filter like this one you gain 2 to 3 hp over peak and are more than 7 hp at the peak rpm range. In other words it is faster on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen too many engines dusted from running a k&n type filter! You might get more power, but at the cost of your rings! And a top end rebuild on a machine less than a year old really sucks!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When I pick up the Maverick, the salesman told me about a precleaner that came with the Maverick that I could install if I wanted. Then the sales setup guy came out and tried to tell me that this prefilter would be installed where the CVT intake was. He thought that the CVT intake was the engine intake and I told him that was wrong, go to YouTube and watch the videos CanAm put up, and it clearly shows that location to be the CVT intake so he scratched his head and said, "Hmmm, why doesn't CanAm show us these videos?" We then took off the hood, removed the airbox lid, and figured out where this filter goes. At that time I figured out that it was a POSTfilter and not a PREfilter. The main filter is a pleated filter like on any new vehicle. The postfilter is an oiled foam filter that traps any silt that makes its way through the main filter. This is an excellent design and really shows their attention to detail. The instructions say to clean the postfilter and relube it after every 100 miles or so.
Yours didn't have that already installed? Mine was already in place.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Look on the commander forum and you will see lots of threads about the airbox letting sand in and directly into the intake system. Many have tried many tricks to keep it out but have not be successfully. I and many other have 2 to 3 seasons on the K/N system with NO dirt, mud, or sand in our intake system. You do need to clean it periodically and oil it properly afterwards. Supposedly the newer commanders have the same changes made to the stock airbox as the Mav and yet some still have the issue.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmm...... I'll do a search and check it out. I've heard that about the rzr's forever, but this is the first that I've heard it about Can Am's.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
I ve had a commander since 10 and there has been much shared on the forum. After riding extremely hard and fast in a Mav today I would say that BRP got this UTV RIGHT but there are still some improvements needed. The intake, exhaust and throttle response could be improved but this thing is second to none.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I ve had a commander since 10 and there has been much shared on the forum. After riding extremely hard and fast in a Mav today I would say that BRP got this UTV RIGHT but there are still some improvements needed. The intake, exhaust and throttle response could be improved but this thing is second to none.
youll have to try the k&n and let us no if its an improvement over stock, performance wise. I dont ride in sand so a k&n would work fine. febuary will be a year since i had my commander and i miss that interior for sure..I ordered my mav back in september and the dealer says i have to wait till febuary sometime till we get them here in pa, u guys r lucky to have yours already b4 xmas..

O yea by the way what the hell, when i ordered my commander in 2010 i got that 12-23-10 why's the mav taking even longer??? you would off thought canam would of got there shit together and learned there leason the 1st time when they could meet demands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!venting venting venting

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is the part # for the K&N ?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Did lots of riding over the weekend in extreme dusty conditions so I also installed the 'post' filter. My thoughts are it's a little loose fitting in the compartment since I feel dirty air can be sucked around the sides. Air will always flow through the path of least resistance just like anything else (including teenagers). I haven't had a chance to take a look behind it yet but I think I'm going to look at running a bead of grease along the edges just to seal it up better. Anyone who has any experience sealing air filters on dirt bikes knows what I mean since that is common maintenance on most dirt bikes. Other than that, I think it's a great idea and can help out a lot. Maintenance on this should be much easier cleaning and lubing than any of my UNI dirt bike foam filters so that's a big plus. And for what it's worth, I'm not a huge fan of K&N style filters. Had one on my Powerstroke and got dusted a couple times past the filter and had the same problem a couple of times on my sons Raptor quad. I think for one thing I just have to keep cleaning things and the paper gauze style filters don't work at their best when cleaned but I can't stand to look at it dirty. I think I'll just keep squeezing oil through foam filters and I may even run a bead of grease along the edges of that primary paper filter for some extra piece of mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts