Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a UNI filter I noticed some dust was leaking around the air box lid and into the clean chamber. It seems that the air box inlet does not allow enough air flow into the air box at wide open throttle which causes some leakage around the seals. My plan was to simply build a snorkel from the air box back behind the glove box that will allow extra air flow while still using the 'cleaner' air that comes from inside the cockpit. All pieces were bought at Home Depot for right around $20.
This piece is a simple floor drain that I cut out the strainer section and filed down the inner flange for maximum inner diameter.

strain.jpg

After cleaning it up I've got about 1 5/8" which is just a little smaller than the factory inlet that measures 2" ID.

DSCN1567.JPG

I used a cheap angle fitting for my drill and cheap hole saws from Harbor Freight to cut the hole directly opposite the factory inlet. The floor strainer is perfect for this because it has an outer lip/flange that allows it to be glued right up to the side of the air box and seal it tight.

DSCN1570.JPG

Finally I started putting all the pieces in place and cutting the pipe to size. It all fits right behind the radiator filler spout and just above the brake master cylinder. The cap for the master cylinder does come off and just bumps into the piping just a bit. Once everything was cut and fit I marked everything with a sharpie so I could glue some of the pieces on the bench correctly aligned.

DSCN1579.JPG
DSCN1578.JPG
DSCN1576.JPG

Here's a picture of what the assembly looks like out of the car. I installed an extra piece of pipe at the inlet to get the inlet down towards the bottom of the glove box where I think the air will be cleaner. That's the piece all the way at the left.

DSCN1575.JPG

Hopefully this will get enough air flow so the air box is not starving and it should prevent any more sealing problems. I've put the UNI filter back in after cleaning all the grease wiped off to give it a good test.

Reactions: Tbtexas.com

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Very innovative! Nice job.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
looks good....let us know how it works out...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great job!

Sent from my mobile

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just happened to have gone for a ride yesterday and 1 week after a downpour the dust is already back in the desert so I was able to check this out and see if it makes any difference. Sorry to say I'm still getting dust sucked in around the upper left corner of the air box lid. I will ride again in less than 2 weeks and I'll grease the edges of the lid for that ride and see how it works. I just wanted to try it dry first. Anyhow, I'm not very satisfied with running this filter yet since I can't get it sealed up and because of that I have no plans on ever removing the factory 'post' filter since that's the only thing really keeping my engine from getting dusted.
I'll let you know how it goes with greased edges next time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm king of having the same issues with my filter. I'm thinking about rubber coating the edges of my foam filter and then adding some grease...

2014 Can-Am Commander XT-P 1000 with some addons...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Waste all the time y'all want to but none of the aftermarket filters will seal in that box. Good luck to y'all. If u go back with the stock filter, it'll seal up fine

·
Registered
244 Posts
yup just quit tring that's the answer!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You can also add some holes in the sides of the stock air box, then fill them with plugs that have a grate screen and a small foam filter. This adds alot better flow so its easier for the engine to get air from more than just the factory inlet. I installed 4 or 5 in mine, and they helped eliminate the dust getting buy the seal. The small foam pads are easy to clean also. I have since changed to the turnkey intake box and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can also add some holes in the sides of the stock air box, then fill them with plugs that have a grate screen and a small foam filter. This adds alot better flow so its easier for the engine to get air from more than just the factory inlet. I installed 4 or 5 in mine, and they helped eliminate the dust getting buy the seal. The small foam pads are easy to clean also. I have since changed to the turnkey intake box and I am very happy with it.
Can you show som pictures :big smile::cool2:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts