Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time to tear down, inspect, and refresh the clutches on both my machines. Figure I may as well replace the secondary rollers with better than OEM.

I know KWI sells Warranty Killer rollers I think it is. I know there are a couple different versions of Rhino Rollers available.

Any others I don't know of?

Any bad ones out there? Any that are "the best"? One just as good as another?

Any feedback appreciated before I order.

Thanks 馃憤

Premium Member
Oem has lasted me 7k so far. It鈥檚 all about how they were installed. If yuh are not careful when putting it back together you can crack them and lessen their lifespan.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Right I've heard some are not installed correctly right from the factory even. Which is not shocking lol.

I know some people crack OEM. And some people drive forever with OEM.

But if there are stronger/better out there I think I will still go for it.

Premium Member
KWI has great stuff! Talk to Kris.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
KWI has great stuff! Talk to Kris.
I am going to buy his KWI tool kit from him or Black Market UTV with the forum discount.

And yes I know there are cheaper ways of DYI tooling lol. No time for that. I want it to come to my door in a box.

I'm sure the Rhino or the AA from KWI will both be great. Just wondering what people's experiences have been. Specifically if there are any to be avoided.

Registered
KWI is fine for the basic clutch tool kit but I recommend the tool from GBoost to remove the secondary clutch roller pins. I'm not a fan of the "slap hammer" style. A true puller style will lessen the possibility of breaking the tool while manipulating the weight of the slap hammer. Also, GBoost gives you a second threaded end for the puller, just in case. The KWI rollers are great, I just installed their entire rebuild kit in mine a few weeks ago.

DCP26 - Can Am - Driven Clutch Roller Pin Extractor - Gboost Technology

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
KWI is fine for the basic clutch tool kit but I recommend the tool from GBoost to remove the secondary clutch roller pins. I'm not a fan of the "slap hammer" style. A true puller style will lessen the possibility of breaking the tool while manipulating the weight of the slap hammer. Also, GBoost gives you a second threaded end for the puller, just in case. The KWI rollers are great, I just installed their entire rebuild kit in mine a few weeks ago.

DCP26 - Can Am - Driven Clutch Roller Pin Extractor - Gboost Technology
I was thinking exactly that regarding slide hammer vs. puller. I am going to go with the puller for sure for the reasons you mention.

I can kind of picture hammering away and snapping the end of the tool off in the roller pin lol. Boo...

Registered
It sucks the tool is a bit overpriced for what it is and it could be made if you had the time, materials, and equipment in your shop. But like you said, have everything you need show up ready to go at one time preferably in the same box. LOL

Registered
go with the Rhino rollers (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
It sucks the tool is a bit overpriced for what it is and it could be made if you had the time, materials, and equipment in your shop. But like you said, have everything you need show up ready to go at one time preferably in the same box. LOL
I need to build a shop. Badly lol. Moved to this property 3 years ago but its happening by the end of this year. Steel probably lol with the cost of lumber.

I need more tools and equipment too. 20 years ago I had it all but sold most as life went in other directions. But now here I am playing with toys again years later wishing I had all that stuff still lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have some input from personal experience now lol.

Beware of G Boost quality control.

Plus on top of that, the deburring of the center hole is all over the map. Not even lined up with the center on a few of them. Plus the deburring tool is countersunk at all different depths.

I have 2 packages of rollers so 6 in total. Consistency is horrendous! Advertised as "precision CNC machined". Lol, brutal...

Premium Member
I just picked up a brand new 2020 secondary and primary. I plan to rebuild both of my current ones as spares.

I've done the primary a few times but not the secondary.

Any tips and info are appreciated.

Tim

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up a brand new 2020 secondary and primary. I plan to rebuild both of my current ones as spares.

I've done the primary a few times but not the secondary.

Any tips and info are appreciated.

Tim
I haven't had a clutch apart in like 20 years haha. Never had the clutches apart on my Can Ams yet. But got 3/6 good rollers to do at least 1 machine for now lol. Other 3 have to go back.

There are much wiser minds than me on here for sure as far as clutches.

The one main thing that comes to mind is when removing and installing the helix, you have to be carefull not to let the sharp edges of the helix legs contact and damage the rollers. You have to rotate the helix against spring pressure until the legs clear the rollers.

This fairly short video would probably be better than me trying to explain in text...

Premium Member
Secondary is easy if you have the g-boost tool and small torch.

If you dont it鈥檚 a major pita. Helped a buddy couple years ago do his and It sucked. Then I bought the tool and parts to do mine. But haven鈥檛 needed to replace them yet.

Registered
Secondary is easy if you have the g-boost tool and small torch.

If you dont it鈥檚 a major pita. Helped a buddy couple years ago do his and It sucked. Then I bought the tool and parts to do mine. But haven鈥檛 needed to replace them yet.
yup got to buy the tool for the rollers.....you can make the tool to hold the sheaves compressed out of threaded rod, washers and nuts

Reactions: Megadesertdiesel

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I did get the G Boost tool.

I'm going to keep 3/6 G Boost rollers and use them. All measure within .001" in all dimensions so pretty good.

The train wreck pack of 3 is getting sent back and traded in for the Warranty Killer rollers that KWI sells.

I will try both brands but one set will go on a Turbo RR and the other on a 1000R. So not really the best comparison over time. But we will see how it goes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts