Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Aerocharger Maverick Turbo Prototype

19K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  mrrpm 
#1 ·
All right, you saw it here first - We wanted maverickforums.net to have first look at the new Maverick Turbo System in development by Aerocharger:

In this video, Brad, Calvin and Andrew demo a Can-Am Maverick with a prototype Aerocharger Turbo System, and talk a bit about the features and where it's currently at in development.

For the unintiated, the Aerocharger is a specialized, ultra-efficient variable vane turbo which is uniquely ideal for use with the Maverick platform:

VATN Technology: Aerocharger’s powerful variable geometry tech optimizes turbine size, producing lag-free boost and unmatched fine-tune adjustability. The Aerocharger is the only turbo that allows boost response to be mechanically adjusted.

Internal Oil Supply: The Aerocharger contains its own oil supply, allowing for clean and simple installation and reduced risk of complications when riding.

Non-Flooded Bearings: An innovative oil misting system allows for drag free bearing performance and ultra-fast spooling.

We'll keep you updated as we get closer to releasing it. Thanks for your interest, and let us know what you think!

See less See more
#6 ·
Looking forward to more details.

#8 ·
i have 3 friends with turbo xps and two of them have nothing but problems. My other buddy purchased a used xp in near perfect condition with an aerocharger on it stock motor running 10psi and he used 110 oct the thing came in at 122 at the wheels and he has had zero issues with very aggressive trail riding. His xp pulls very very good even at low rpms. If I was gonna purchase one it would be an aerocharger for sure. Is the 12.1 gonna be a problem for us?

#9 ·
Your kidding right?...... yes its a problem. Ive had supercharged vehs that had 10.1 not optimal.. Gonna need to be low boost and pray like hell your tune spot on, your weather consistant, dont travell to alot of different elevations, have real good gas oh lord Its not worth it!

#10 ·
The engineers have been working on a few design tweaks recently, but we're getting closer than ever to taking this kit to production. Brad and Ryan got some new doors put on, and then they got a few drag races in against a stock Maverick brought in by some out-of-town visitors from Canada. We're having fun with this thing.

Here's the vid so ya'll can follow along with this project!

#14 ·

This is the latest we have on the forthcoming Maverick turbo kit - in this video a stock maverick and a turbo maverick drag race, then we point a GoPro at engineer Andrew Dey and have him give live commentary as he was proves out a new clutch setup in the Aerocharger testing field.

The prototype vehicle has just left the Aerocharger facilities for additional testing and demos, and we're going into the next phase of system development with the Maverick Project. Thanks for following along with our progress- our development engineers are pumped, as the Maverick Turbo System is proving out to be a beast.

#16 ·
In that video, the primary is stock with different weights, and the secondary is mostly stock with a custom helix. We'll be trying out some some new hardware soon... Aerocharger's been working with some suppliers to address durability issues that the stock clutch is having under turbocharged conditions.

#19 · (Edited)
Alright guys, here's the official word on head shimming from Andrew, our engineer: With the Mav, any 91 octane pump fuel turbo setup (always use high quality 91!) will require compression to be lowered, either via a head shim and/or low compression pistons. Stock engines are fine on E85 for low boost, and if you're running race fuel you can run higher boost on a stock engine- we're estimating 8 psi on VP's 110 race gas, and up to 14 psi on VP's 115. We are currently discussing options for what will be included with a low-compression Aerocharger turbo kit; our priority has always been to deliver the most complete package for a comprehensive install.

On another note, here's a pic of our air/air intercooler production sample that just came in - this option's going to come with a custom ram-air hood scoop. We'd like some feedback on what we should do for finish options, should we polish it off or leave it looking rough and industrial?

Attachments

#21 ·
Alright guys, here's the official word on head shimming from our Andrew, our engineer: With the Mav, any 91 octane pump fuel turbo setup (always use high quality 91!) will require compression to be lowered, either via a head shim and/or low compression pistons. Stock engines are fine on E85 for low boost, and if you're running race fuel you can run higher boost on a stock engine- we're estimating 8 psi on VP's 110 race gas, and up to 14 psi on VP's 115. We are currently discussing options for what will be included with a low-compression Aerocharger turbo kit; our priority has always been to deliver the most complete package for a comprehensive install.

On another note, here's a pic of our air/air intercooler production sample that just came in - this option's going to come with a custom ram-air hood scoop. We'd like some feedback on what we should do for finish options, should we polish it off or leave it looking rough and industrial?

View attachment 3230
Polishing is going to probably add cost to something you are not going to see very much of. I'd rather see more put into a nice replacement hood or reduce the price of the overall kit.

#20 ·
So no head shimming if we run e85 or race fuel and limit the boost? what kind of power output do you think with 110 on 8psi? I'm concerned about lowering compression, because when not in boost the engine will be rather lazy compared to the stock N/A motor.

#22 ·
I say offer both options. Polished would obviously cost a bit more due to the work required ands the bling factor......

#26 ·
How do you plan on getting around this issue with the Wipple charger?

#27 ·
hes gonna run the new ecu with cable throttle body

#28 ·
That's right…I remember reading that a few days ago…I'm really excited to see how it does.

#29 ·
I think that's what hes gonna do anyways , lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.