Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2021 X3 four-seater smart shock with up 32" tires. This is my first side by side and I'm curious to what seasoned side by side owners ride their Can-Ams in what mode and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,238 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Depends on the terrain. Where do you plan to ride?

Dirt / dunes, dirt - 2wd, dunes - 2wd or 4wd
Rock crawling - 4wd locked.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I just bought a 2021 X3 four-seater smart shock with up 32" tires. This is my first side by side and I'm curious to what seasoned side by side owners ride their Can-Ams in what mode and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am seasoned at breaking things. Most of the time you have so much traction you can just run 2 wheel drive and is more fun sliding around. When you get to spots on slopes or if sliding sideways will cause you to get into a bad situation always use 4X4 . Use the Locker only when needed and engaging it only when not under load. Then disengage locker. There is a lot of different types of trail riding conditions and I don't have a clue how the Sand guys run, but I would think they run in 4X4 more of the time. If your running deeper muddy trails or very slick trails obviously you will be in 4X4 most of the time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I run 4x4 trail or trail active in the dunes almost always cause I have Maxis 2.0 tires not paddles, trails 2x4 or 4z4. this is Oregon Dunes for the 4x4 part

·
Registered
2018 Can Am Maverick X3 X RS Turbo R
10 Posts
I use 4x4 in 'Trail Active' always. It brings in more front wheel drive when it is needed. Just makes riding more fun. If you want to play and do some power sliding switch to 2x4. I advise not to do it in 4x4. Seen them flip over quickly.

·
Registered
X3 X DS Turbo RR
25 Posts
Welcome! I generally drive in 2wd - unless it is something that is steep, slippery hills or mud holes... certainly safer to be a little cautious until you get used to your new machine and run in 4wd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here's my general run down on my X3 XMR.

2wd: Pavement. Trails where traction isn't an issue (Easiest steering). When I want a loose car to slide around.

4wd trail mode: What I run 90% of the time. General trail riding. Riding fast and hard (You're going to be faster than if you were in 2wd), Hill Climbing.

4wd Mud mode: Almost never, because I usually forget to hit the button until I'm in it... but when I see the trail looks more like a mud bog. - This mode pretty well locks the front end anytime you're on the throttle, note; extra steering effort. It's also good for shifting on the fly for things I might want the diff to be able to lock without stopping to put it into diff lock.

4wd Diff Lock: Slow speed rocks. Mud holes. Steep rocky hill climbs. Climbing ledges. Pretty much anything super technical at low speeds or straight lines.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Welcome from NW Oregon

4wd active in most all cases as handling is much better. Keeps the power to the front in order to pull around turns as in loose terrain 2wd the front tends to be pushed in tight turns.
2wd in rare situations or asphalt/pavement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts