Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have too many shims in secondary will it alter shift out rpms. I'm running a rage 3 2nd gen primary and secondary. I added 2 shims to secondary because it was way to tight i was running a oem belt. It was so tight it seized the bearing in primary and burnt the oem belt. I ordered a carbon gates belt and added the shims, belt tension seems good now but I lost about 500 rpms, with the old belt (before everything seized up) it would get to 7750 quick by around 40mph and stay there tell around 60 then drop a tad then go up to 7900 at 75mph. After adding the shims it launches hard but not as hard as it did. Just not sure if its the belt or the shims or does the primary need to have weights adjusted.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It does sound like you may have too much slack in the belt allowing it to start out a bit higher in the primary (like taking off in second gear). You should have the belt as tight as possible without it creeping… Try removing one shim and see what it does.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I had 2 shims in my stm secondary and took 1 out, but I have a cvtech primary.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
same principle applies to either primary for setting belt tension.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does sound like you may have too much slack in the belt allowing it to start out a bit higher in the primary (like taking off in second gear). You should have the belt as tight as possible without it creeping… Try removing one shim and see what it does.
I figured I had too many shims, I put 2 extras instead of one. I was being to cautious I guess, the first time it was way to tight but I'm also using a different belt. I'll take one out and see how that does.

Thanks for your help,
Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track…let us know after you take one out how it does...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I had 2 shims in my stm secondary and took 1 out, but I have a cvtech primary.
I have a QSC/STM combo and I don't have any shims installed in my STM

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have a QSC/STM combo and I don't have any shims installed in my STM
DD - what belt are you running OEM or Gates C12? Not sure it makes a difference but my clutches show up today and I want to compare my setup to yours.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have a brand new factory belt installed. #212 I believe. I have not purchased a gates belt yet.
My original that came on the Mav new is now my backup belt.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
OK thanks.....I have the original belt and a Gates C12 in the mail. I will set it up with the original belt as it looks good still and the C12 doesn't get here until next Tuesday. I know the orignal belts have a different number on the belt but it is still the same as the 212 correct?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
OK thanks.....I have the original belt and a Gates C12 in the mail. I will set it up with the original belt as it looks good still and the C12 doesn't get here until next Tuesday. I know the orignal belts have a different number on the belt but it is still the same as the 212 correct?
Yes I think its the same. I believe the factory original belt ends with # 394

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I can confirm when I get home from work....

·
Registered
50 Posts
The gates c12 belt isn't the same as the stock belt. Its the same spec as the commander belt so it is a little bit wider and shorter. You have to run a factory belt for the best results.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Alex Reed has the QSC / STM setup and recently used the C12 belt and said it ran great. I think he even said that the belt seem to run better than stock belt he had been using. He had a thread with his feedback on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The gates c12 belt isn't the same as the stock belt. Its the same spec as the commander belt so it is a little bit wider and shorter. You have to run a factory belt for the best results.
Hmmm…I would have to say this is the first time I have heard this. Anyone else, have the same results or feedback.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't got er apart yet but I should now by tomorrow evening if removing a shim and the new c12 belt will be a good combo.

Thanks for everyone's input,
Nathan

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Removed shim and it didn't make a difference in the rpms, it must be the belt that changed my rpm's. it's weird cuz the belt change didn't make a diffirence with the factory clutches but did on the STM set up. Is anyone else's STM or qsc clutches really clattery in between 4500-5000 rpms?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's obviously the gates belt that lowered (changed) my rpms I've removed 4 of the 8 gram washers off the mid and it still won't reach 7800 by 50mph. All I have on my arms are two tungsten washers at the base. Also mine engages at 1900-1950 but won't start pulling the machine tell 2650-2700. As usual any help or advice is much appreciated.

Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have a sneaky suspicion that you have a worn bushing on your moveable sheave causing it to not shift smoothly. Shoot Kris a message and see what he says

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One other thing for those that have had the arms out of their primaries. How far up the backside of your arms show's wear, mine shows wear from base to about 3/4" from the tip. Should it show wear all the way out to the tip?

Nathan

1 - 20 of 73 Posts