Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they seemingly have opened up the intake and head and taken the compression ratio to 12:1 already, is there going to be much more room to gain power in the Maverick? To me the only remaining obvious thing is the exhaust with the cat, maybe 8 or 10 ponies there, but the rest of the engine might be tough to squeeze gains out of and have a good gain/dollar ratio. Thoughts?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Since they seemingly have opened up the intake and head and taken the compression ratio to 12:1 already, is there going to be much more room to gain power in the Maverick? To me the only remaining obvious thing is the exhaust with the cat, maybe 8 or 10 ponies there, but the rest of the engine might be tough to squeeze gains out of and have a good gain/dollar ratio. Thoughts?
ditto^^^^ clutch , exhaust and tuner! those are only things i can think of ? that will be gains you can feel on the butt-o-meter

·
Official Site Vendor
525 Posts
It'll definitely be cool to see what the aftermarket exhaust dyno's say!!!!
I could give a hoot what a dyno says !!! I dont race or spend any time on a dyno with my machine ... I drive real would and test against a stock machine and if it 3 or 4 cars faster then a stocker i have no reason to leave it on ...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
ditto^^^^ clutch , exhaust and tuner! those are only things i can think of ? that will be gains you can feel on the butt-o-meter
I think it already comes with an auto tuner. I believe an improved intake, remove the cat in the exhaust system and add a clutch and this should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you look at the intake, the tube that goes back to the cab to get the air is kinda small. An intake should make some more power.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you look at the intake, the tube that goes back to the cab to get the air is kinda small. An intake should make some more power.
ill be waiting to hear your guys results! im simply gona clutch mine! and set back and see what people are doin and what kinda real world diffrence it makes!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think the stock intake picks up its air inside the cab area just under the glovebox.

Reactions: jason442

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can-am claims they opened up the intake but their definition of "opened up" and a racers definition of "opened up" are probably different. Maybe they got it right, who knows. I am sure it will get checked out soon enough.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the stock intake picks up its air inside the cab area just under the glovebox.
not that im right ! cuz i do not own a maverick nor am i standing there looking at it! but the commander undoubtably breathes from the driver side , there is a small like trap door and has a pre filter . however thats speaking for a commander.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
UTV inc and weller racing make a good looking intake for the commander that would probably work on the mav. That is if you dont mind the k&n.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
not that im right ! cuz i do not own a maverick nor am i standing there looking at it! but the commander undoubtably breathes from the driver side , there is a small like trap door and has a pre filter . however thats speaking for a commander.
Thats the cvt intake.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The tube feeding the box is tiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
I dropped my Mav off at weller racing today to get some "real mods" to make it go faster. I'm doing the same thing I did to my commander to make it go faster. We are starting simple with making the motor breath better. Then I will have a exhaust header built for it not a new exhaust just the header cause I like the stock muffler and they are not an issue. I have a 60 mm TB that will go on it next week cause the stock 54 is just too small. My commander has a 60 mm and when the intake was changed over to the one like the Mav it made great power on the big end. I don't plan on modifying the motor for a while just bolt on changes at this time focusing on getting more air to the motor and verifying that the ECU can make adjustments for fuel and not causing any lean condition. These mods should be ready for MLK weekend so if anyone wants to race my Mav to verify the results let me know.

BTW the current dyno number on the Mav are 75 hp at 51 T. On the same Dyno my stock commander was 60 and the XP was 65. I don't remember the Torque numbers for the others but they were much less than the Mav. My built commander made 63 HP with just a Weller intake and smoked stock XPs. Obviously the rotax is so much more powerful due to the greater torque of the vtwin rotax over the parallel twin of the XP.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I could give a hoot what a dyno says !!! I dont race or spend any time on a dyno with my machine ... I drive real would and test against a stock machine and if it 3 or 4 cars faster then a stocker i have no reason to leave it on ...
Well however you prefer testing, whatever works, that's about what I'm saying... Just cool if something makes more hp.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I dropped my Mav off at weller racing today to get some "real mods" to make it go faster. I'm doing the same thing I did to my commander to make it go faster. We are starting simple with making the motor breath better. Then I will have a exhaust header built for it not a new exhaust just the header cause I like the stock muffler and they are not an issue. I have a 60 mm TB that will go on it next week cause the stock 54 is just too small. My commander has a 60 mm and when the intake was changed over to the one like the Mav it made great power on the big end. I don't plan on modifying the motor for a while just bolt on changes at this time focusing on getting more air to the motor and verifying that the ECU can make adjustments for fuel and not causing any lean condition. These mods should be ready for MLK weekend so if anyone wants to race my Mav to verify the results let me know.

BTW the current dyno number on the Mav are 75 hp at 51 T. On the same Dyno my stock commander was 60 and the XP was 65. I don't remember the Torque numbers for the others but they were much less than the Mav. My built commander made 63 HP with just a Weller intake and smoked stock XPs. Obviously the rotax is so much more powerful due to the greater torque of the vtwin rotax over the parallel twin of the XP.
I will be very interested in the results of your upgrades. I think these 2 mods alone will produce the most performance improvement and keep the same factory reliability. Keep us posted

·
Registered
528 Posts
We will be using a UMP filter up front (but others like the UTV inc/Weller intakes will work well too) and Muzzy is building a new header/Exhaust that will be available pretty shortly. We will have some real before/after Dyno numbers down the road..I think you can pick up a few more horses by advancing the time 5 deg or so via DynoJet 5. So far the clutch is spot on from some of the initial testing we have done.. but remember this is a different clutch set up (primary and secondary) than the Commander...so we will have to reevaluate everything from the beginning.

Reactions: Nellup3
1 - 20 of 35 Posts