Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the stock Go power 160 watt panel and controller but it didn't put much out like 4 to 7 amps typically depending on the time of day.

I added 2 175 watt panels and by 10 AM had over 18 amps. Tim

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Love the free power from solar, ( free ) after you buy all the goodies I just put a small 100 watt on my enclosed as it doesn't have much demand and thats plenty to keep the batts up. , I also have a 1500 watt sys on my shop

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I have a 40K system at my house. House roof is full of panels, my 2500 sq ft man cave / garage is about 1/3rd covered. Haven't paid APS a penny in years.

9nce I get an enclosed trailer I'll definitely be adding solar panels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did same to mine last year. I’d consider using some eternabond tape over the wires in a few places

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To secure the wires or to protect them?

Tim

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
To secure the wires or to protect them?

Tim
Both...at least that’s what I did after getting recommendations from some others. I didn’t cover the connectors though. I sometimes get happy with the eternabond stuff though...it is really some amazing stuff:)

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are those the Renogy pannels? I keep going back and forth on those or the GP panel. I see 9.9a on my GP 160w panel.

Nevermind the photo looks like they say Go Power.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are those the Renogy pannels? I keep going back and forth on those or the GP panel. I see 9.9a on my GP 160w panel.

15564902961036913838593409957144.jpg

I got them from Amazon. Tim

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original is go power at 160 watts. The two new ones are newpowa. Tim

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nice! I want to do the same thing. But at the same time, I need to move the stock 160w panel. The geniuses mounted it within like 2 inches of my AC. AC casts a shadow on it and it kills my juice. Need to look into how to plug the holes when I move it. Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! I want to do the same thing. But at the same time, I need to move the stock 160w panel. The geniuses mounted it within like 2 inches of my AC. AC casts a shadow on it and it kills my juice. Need to look into how to plug the holes when I move it. Suggestions?

You can fill the screw holes with Dicor lap and you should be fine. That stuff is pretty good stuff. Tim

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The Renogy MPPT 40 WATT controller with Bluetooth looks like a great controller I may switch to that. I suspect their panels are good quality. Tim

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
AH! The advantage of living out west, SUN! Used to have it here in Ohio however that time has passed. 36 degrees this morning!

·
Registered
403 Posts

I know a roof guy who could help you with that.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I have a 100w on the enclosed and 300w on the motorhome. Works great. Rarely use the generator when dry camping.

I would def secure those wires. Moving and with wind they will want to chafe, and its not like you can turn off the sun's power. When your guns are out, oh I mean when the sun is out, there is constant power to those wires.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 100w on the enclosed and 300w on the motorhome. Works great. Rarely use the generator when dry camping.

I would def secure those wires. Moving and with wind they will want to chafe, and its not like you can turn off the sun's power. When your guns are out, oh I mean when the sun is out, there is constant power to those wires.
I am not done with the install. If you look in those pics the panels are not secure yet. I plan to use convoluted tubing and a drop of Dicor to secure then. Maybe a few zip ties also. Tim

1 - 20 of 43 Posts