Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Max xds turbo has not ran about half the time I have owned it. My local dealer hasn't been able to figure it out. I keep getting error code P0301. The first time, after checking everything and updating the computer, the dealer said it had to be the belt (something not under warranty). So, even though the belt looked perfect and brand new (hell, it was brand new) I paid to have it replaced. Then about 10 hours later I get a check engine light on again (and limp mode every time that light comes on). Again, even though the belt looked brand new, I replaced it again. Go out again hit some sand dunes, and while I was driving like a pissed off teenager, I shred the belt (guess you can't trust their advertising that shows this thing racing on dunes). Again, I have a brand new belt installed (this time Gates C12 because I was told that it was stronger). I go out with some friends (all RZR's) and I can't make it 10 minutes before the check engine light is on again and I'm heading back to the trailer in Limp Mode. At this point the dealer only want me to give them video of it failing, having my machine there is just taking up space at this point.

Question: Is there a way to actually clear the engine codes at home. I have followed the forums that show how to read the code and that works, but it does not clear it. I have disconnected the battery for a bit, but I am not sure that this is actually clearing the code. The dealer is telling me that I need to bring it in every time, but that is not realistic for me. I don't have time to take it to the dirt, dealer, dirt, dealer, etc. Like I said, I can't get 10 minutes out of it. Anyone else out there feeling my pain? Is this common or is it just mine?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe that is a miss fire code. Maybe some one can correct if I'm wrong. If it is a misfire you need to check plug wires. Injector harness plugs. On alot of automotive engines I work on a misfire code can mean bad fuel pump. You may also have a fuel quality issue. Are you running fresh premium 91 93 octane?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fresh 91 as no where around me sells 93 (not at the pump anyway). I have also had P0302 pop up before and have taken pictures for the dealer just so they know i'm not crazy. Dealer says that they have checked or replaced every item related to those two error codes and nothing has fixed it. I have never heard or felt a misfire, always runs great right up to when the check engine light comes on. If I start up the Mav and take off cold, I can get about 10-15 minutes out of it before the check engine light goes off. If I let it warm up for say 5+ minutes, I can't get but 1-3 minutes before it goes off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been, which is one of the most frustrating parts of this thing. Breaking it in takes time and at some point I feel like I should be able to drive this thing the way I want. This last brand new belt, I no joke rolled it off the trailer after getting it back from the dealer and drove to a gas station on city streets (I know its not allowed here, but I stayed under the 25MPH speed limit and it is like a mile drive) and as I pulled out the check engine light came on. Never even made it to the dirt to break it in!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, you are right Hdrjoe, my codes are misfire codes. Shouldn't I be able to hear or feel a misfire though? Either way, I still need to find a way to fix them. Appreciate the feedback so far.
P0301 Fault Cylinder A-Misfire Detected (CYL)
P0302 Fault Cylinder B-Misfire Detected (CYL2)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take it to a new dealer, it would piss me off too
Yes sir, that was my plan too. I have been to 2 dealers and a "local expert" who I was recommend to. Expert he was not. Pissed off doesn't scratch the surface of where I am at. Does insurance cover C4 damage?

·
Registered
429 Posts
How old is your machine? Is warranty still good. I cant believe Canam wont get this fixed. Have you tried calling them direct?

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
If I remember correctly some members have had a miss fire fault and it turned out to be the spark plug wires or caps. Have you done a search?

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I found another thread where the problem was the fuel pump. It would rum fine until the pump got hot them the problem would arise. They also said when this started a reduction in power would keep it from going into limp mode.

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts
When we have a misfire this is what we replace.
-O2 sensor
-spark plug
-spark plug wire (make sure they're screwed all the way in, we've had this problem twice)
-coil could be an issue
-injector

If the dealer has replaced those items then I would go to a different dealer or file something with BRP

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am taking video for the dealer today and will be dropping the Mav off again Tuesday. I will not be picking it up again until it is fixed.

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts
Call me and we can go over what they've replaced. I can give you guys some guidance

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Question: Is there a way to actually clear the engine codes at home. I have followed the forums that show how to read the code and that works, but it does not clear it. I have disconnected the battery for a bit, but I am not sure that this is actually clearing the code. The dealer is telling me that I need to bring it in every time, but that is not realistic for me. I don't have time to take it to the dirt, dealer, dirt, dealer, etc. Like I said, I can't get 10 minutes out of it. Anyone else out there feeling my pain? Is this common or is it just mine?
hello... yes there is. Here are the steps

To reset
1. Select park
2. Turn ign. On, do not start engine
Steps 3 through 9 must be done within 5 seconds
3. Press override button and hold
4. Press and release brake pedal
5. Release override button
6. Press and release brake pedal
7. Press override button and hold
8. Press and release brake pedal
9. Release override button
10. Turn ignition switch off
11. Wait until your gauge pod turns off before turning ignition back on OR drink 6 beers, whichever takes longer

·
Registered
31 Posts
another thing to check would be valve clearances, if they are too tight it cause your concern, might also explain after it warms up the codes set, not sure if it has one but remove the crank sensor and see if there is any metal or debris stuck to the end of it, maybe pull the fuel pump and see if you have a bad batch of fuel-water will pool up on the bottom of the tank

1 - 20 of 35 Posts