Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gents, hoping someone here that has installed these can assist. I called Mike at AA, but it's after hours at this point, and my clutch is in pieces. I would really like to get this resolved before I put her back together.

Tore my clutch apart to do the 500 mi maintenance, and install the AA stage 3 adjustable clutch weights.

All was going well, until I dropped the first weight in...... The instructions state 2018's need "Type A" weights, 2019's need "Type B" weights. No pics of the two or description,,, so I can only assume that they sent me Type B since all other parts were for a 2019.

HOWEVER,,,, when I dropped the first weight in, it appears that I may have been sent the wrong style weights.

Here is the reason for my quandary....

The "cut out" at the midpoint of the weight seems to be located incorrectly and the weight cannot rest onto the clutch housing at the midpoint, or at the tip.

Pretty sure this is the case, because if I remove the pin and allow the weight to slide toward the center of the clutch, it falls right in onto the clutch as it should,,, but then the pin hole is about 1.5mm off. Just verifying the weight is indeed supposed to rest on the clutch just like the OEM weight. (can't believe it's not,,, but first clutch work, so.....)

It was a little hard to get pics,,,, but I think those in the know can decipher them. The only identifier on the weight is the stamped text "AA 50 C". Pretty sure that's for Aftermarket Assasins, 50 Gram. Not sure what the C is for,,, maybe type C,,, but there is no reference for the C in the directions.

Any help would be appreciated while I wait for Mike's response.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
756 Posts
I’m not familiar with the AA kit but I do know that the middle support on the early 2017-2018 models and the 2018.5/2019 model are different.

I’m referring to the middle support that your AA weight has a notch for and is fitting on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not familiar with the AA kit but I do know that the middle support on the early 2017-2018 models and the 2018.5/2019 model are different.
Thanks for the confirmation.! Sounds like AA accidentally sent me the wrong style weight. I'm sure I'll hear from them soon and we'll get it sorted. I've heard nothing but good things about AA's customer service. Just hope we can get it resolved before my first trip here in a bit over a week.

I know I could just run it with the factory weights if I have to,,, but I would rather not pull it apart again to replace the weights later.

Thanks again! (y)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update,,,

as expected AA contacted me first thing this morning. They said that I did indeed receive the incorrect style weights. They put the correct set in the mail first thing, so I should be good to go in a few days. They didn't both trying to get the original weights back before shipping the correct weights or any of that stuff. AA said they'd just throw in a return postage code so I could throw the incorrect weights back in that box and return them.

Mistakes don't really bother me,,, everyone makes them. It's all about how you react to the mistake that I pay attention to.

THANKS AA!!! (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peak Offroad has lobes that bolt to the primary to open it up enough to change weights. Unfortunately adjustable weights are not one size fits all, which is the good thing. You need to data log and adjust weight as necessary for top performance and belt life. Tunes will give you a base set up you will have the weights out a couple of times at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts