Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give a special Thank You to Tom Morris, UTV Shocks.com, TM1 Motorsports for the shock re-valve and Eibach Spring package. We are extremely happy with the job he did on the shocks! It’s like we bought a whole new machine!!! The RC is so stable and so smooth, it’s unbelievable!! You guys in Cali keeping this guy a secret or what? Well the secret is out….Here’s our story….if you have no patients, then skip down to the last paragraph.

Last Wednesday we left Arizona very early in the morning and drove to Tom’s shop. It was a wonderful time driving in morning rush hour thru Riverside, Corona and down to Santa Ana/ Tustin area, Jheeze!

We arrived at 9:45 am and spent about 45 minutes talking with Tom about his extensive work history in suspension setups, shock re-valving and working with Eibach and their springs. We told him how the RC has lost 2” of ride height and how unstable it has become to drive and under acceleration it just slides around everywhere. Of course I mention the jarring ride through whoops and washboard trails and along with the transitions from the hard-packed desert road into and out of the washes. Tom reassured us that with his setup we would love the ride. With his work we don’t even need limit straps on the front shocks. While checking out his shop, I noticed various racing pictures and articles hung on the walls of a very clean and well organized shop. I spotted a photo of a very young Robby Gordon, he looked about 24 years old. We wanted to stay and talked to Tom longer but we had let him get to work on our shocks.

So with three hours to kill, we went to the Marconi Auto Museum to check out a great collection of sports cars, race cars and motorcycles, very cool place. Lunch at LA Brisket-meh. After lunch we went the Lyon Air Museum located at the John Wayne Airport. They have a really nice collection of military aircraft, trucks and other vehicles on display. This place is located right by the runway so you can watch the jets take off.

Right around 1:30 pm we get a text from Tom and he’s all done! We pick up the shocks and Tom has the preloads set and the HS, LS and rebound set at 3, and the cans now have Schrader valves installed. He said to check the nitrogen once a year, make sure its between 95-100 psi. We stayed a little longer and talked about the X3, wheel offsets and belt break-ins. After thanking Tom for his work we were off to the BLVD Hotel. The room had a comfy bed, clean shower and the room was very quiet. I never heard any jets from John Wayne Air Port. Breakfast was the usual-meh.

We left the hotel around 9:00 thinking that most of the heavy traffic would be gone….JHEEZE!!! Just because you own a Tesla, that doesn’t make you SMART!!! Long story short, the guy wasn’t paying close attention when wanted to make a lane change and didn’t noticed the traffic in his lane was STOPPED! Without looking he dives into the carpool lane and luckily the 55 yr old woman had a large left shoulder lane she could get into. It was sooo close I thought we were going to cremate both vehicles with our 2500 HD. Needless to say the Tesla took off and the poor women now has the death grip on the steering wheel and won’t go a tic over 55mph. JHEEZE!

We get home and get the shocks and tires back on the machine and check the ride height. Right on the money, 15” in front, 15.5” in the back.

Test ride #1 Montana Mt. I know the switchbacks are not a good test for the shocks but running through the rough wash and running down trail 252 was a great first test. We noticed right away the smooth ride through the different transitions, no jarring feeling and the machine stayed planted. No more of that drifting and wandering around feeling. The steering even felt better. It felt more solid, responsive and didn't give me that little wheel shake.

Test ride #2 Box Canyon. Great open desert high speed driving along with some slower up and down hill climbs in and out of washes. Here’s the best part as we come off Price Rd and turned up Box Canyon rd I drive up on two people in a Polaris putt’n along. I stayed behind him for maybe 20 seconds because he was driving down the middle of the road and not one time did he look in his rear view mirror. I saw an opportunity to pass and I took it. When I looked back in the side mirror all I saw was this humongous gray cloud swallow up the Polaris and it’s contents. The next thing I feel is a loving tap on my leg and my husband says, “ You did a wonderful job at scaring the CRAP out of THAT guy, he never saw you coming and you were so close to his tires.” “Ya know, I always forget about the width of the machine and THAT guy should have better trail etiquette”, and then I said, “do you want me to turn around and tell the guy he just had his doors blown off by a GIRL?!” “No,” he said “you made your point.”

Conclusion: I cannot say enough great things about Tom and outstanding shock work! Money definitely well spent. He’s the one you talk to on the phone, not a secretary. He’s the one that actually does the shock work, not some kid. By the way, he even answers his emails. Our X3 RC is a totally new machine. The suspension can now handle the 172 hp. Thanks again Tom for all the personalized service we received from you! You guys in Cali or so lucky to have Tom. You need to share that secret! :smile:

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
Well it sounds like he did a great job on your shocks, but can he put out a house fire like the other guy?

I mean I want a shock tuner who does it on the side and puts out fires full time just in case my house catches fire while my shocks are being tuned. :wink:

Congrats!

Tim

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it sounds like he did a great job on your shocks, but can he put out a house fire like the other guy?

I mean I want a shock tuner who does it on the side and puts out fires full time just in case my house catches fire while my shocks are being tuned. :wink:

Congrats!

Tim
I was wondering how close the Dove fire was to you? And now I see the White Wing fire is burning up by Wittmann!

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
I was wondering how close the Dove fire was to you? And now I see the White Wing fire is burning up by Wittmann!
They are and were less than 1 mile. Here is the current fire out my back door. Tim 20190530_184142.jpg 20190530_184144.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Well it sounds like he did a great job on your shocks, but can he put out a house fire like the other guy? I mean I want a shock tuner who does it on the side and puts out fires full time just in case my house catches fire while my shocks are being tuned. :wink:Congrats! Tim
Tim you need to take a ride in her X3 ! I have the same setup which is the best suspension I have ever had. I think it’s the setup for the Blais race car.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Tom is amazing!!! I just had him do my X3, and like the others have said the difference is night and day. It soaks up all the choppy stuff, goes through the whoops, and doesn't G out. After spending money with a different shock tuner who totally f&*ked up my shock tune Tom came to the rescue.

I'll be writing my own review on my experience shortly.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Yeah the experience he has and the years of shock building and tuning Tom has is unrivaled. My Max can be tuned for 1 person soft and squishy all the way up for 5 and it doesn't bottom out and soaks it up. It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
There is actually a canal between my home and the fire, you can see the large berm in the photo. Tim

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Thanks for the review, couple good guys in orange

Reactions: DesertTarantula
1 - 11 of 11 Posts