Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from SW Idaho. Totally new to the utv world. I've done dirt bikes and ATVs most of my life. Mostly just mild trail riding in my adult (married) life. Finally convinced the wife a sxs would be great for exploring all the trails around us. We live literally backed up to some great woods trail systems chock full of old mining camps and history. So we're excited to get lost out there.

We picked up a new 2021 Maverick Sport Max which I think will be a great fit for our family. The older kids are off on their bikes and the younger still want to be by mom and dad.

We're thick in the snow still but the wife has already booked us a site in Moab over spring break to get our feet wet scooting around with the family.

I'm new to sxs and there is next to no content out there about this rig, I have no idea what it's capabilities are but we'll start small and work into it. Anyone with experience in these, I'd love to hear what you think of them and especially how capable it is for you in the various terrains. Also any suggested upgrades or mods.

So far, I've done the husky box, front and rear full windshields (tusk), rear view mirror, fire extinguisher. Have a spare belt (still need to open the tool kit to see if it has anything for changing the clutch) and bought the 4500lb wench but haven't installed it yet. Oh, also bought the inferno heater (still not shipped) since I plan to be using this for hunting and heat sounds nice right now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations and welcome

Roof is a good investment even if you make it. Keeps the sun off the kids and your self.

With the added wheel base I'd look into some bigger rubber. 30 or 32. Many don't adjust clutching however some companies do kits that are fairly inexpensive.

Enjoy your new rid sounds like youll enjoy it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Two of the best mods / upgrades you can do. Get harnesses, if your car doesn't have any. Harnesses will save your life one day. Other is get yourself a Rugged Radio radio / intercom set-up. The radio will allow you to talk to other cars in your group, or the outside world if you get stuck, and have no cell reception. The intercom will allow you to talk to your wife, and listen to music as they are Bluetooth. You'll need helmet speakers or headsets. Rugged sells everything yo need, and they always have sales.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations and welcome

Roof is a good investment even if you make it. Keeps the sun off the kids and your self.

With the added wheel base I'd look into some bigger rubber. 30 or 32. Many don't adjust clutching however some companies do kits that are fairly inexpensive.

Enjoy your new rid sounds like youll enjoy it.

Thanks. I forgot to mention, there's a local guy here that makes polycarbonate roofs (tinted). Going to have that done in a couple weeks. Also I planned to do bigger tires after I wear through these stockers. Feels like throwing money away if I don't get some use out of em.

Welcome from Tucson AZ. Two of the best mods / upgrades you can do. Get harnesses, if your car doesn't have any. Harnesses will save your life one day. Other is get yourself a Rugged Radio radio / intercom set-up. The radio will allow you to talk to other cars in your group, or the outside world if you get stuck, and have no cell reception. The intercom will allow you to talk to your wife, and listen to music as they are Bluetooth. You'll need helmet speakers or headsets. Rugged sells everything yo need, and they always have sales.
Thanks. I've seen lots of chatter about the rugged radios. I do ham in my truck and was planning to just do some handhelds (baofeng) in the Max for emergency communication. I didn't realize the ruggeds did music too. That might just tempt me cause sound systems are stupid expensive for these things...so a twofer makes it more appealing.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Thanks. I forgot to mention, there's a local guy here that makes polycarbonate roofs (tinted). Going to have that done in a couple weeks. Also I planned to do bigger tires after I wear through these stockers. Feels like throwing money away if I don't get some use out of em.

Thanks. I've seen lots of chatter about the rugged radios. I do ham in my truck and was planning to just do some handhelds (baofeng) in the Max for emergency communication. I didn't realize the ruggeds did music too. That might just tempt me cause sound systems are stupid expensive for these things...so a twofer makes it more appealing.
Yep, their stuff is Bluetooth equipped, so either iPod or cell for Pandora or whatever. It will keep your wife happy just to talk to you and hear you over the engine noise.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Congratulation
Welcome from wherever our truck parks our home for the night
Quartzsite AZ

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah. I heard yeah I ran my big horns for a year and personally If I was to re do the order of purchases. Tires would be first

IMO big horns are really good at nothing particular lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I heard yeah I ran my big horns for a year and personally If I was to re do the order of purchases. Tires would be first

IMO big horns are really good at nothing particular lol.

Fair enough. I've blown through my budget and then some with all the addon's already so it'd be a bit before I can get tires anyways. Honestly, I'd be super tempted to go 32 for the extra clearance but at a min a 30. Again, I'm totally new to UTV. So, what is a good tire that can handle whatever I throw at it? I'd be mostly woods trails, some mud, some rock. We do also have plenty of dessert riding around as well that I expect we'll be doing since one of my good friends loves exploring the old ghost towns and sites out there. I would love to be able to do some moderately aggressive climbing in terrain like moab but we only hit places like that once or twice a year.

Also, I've seen some people going 4/3 wheels to widen the stance a bit or at least a 5/2. What's your thoughts? I don't mind going a little wider since I'm already restricted from the 50" trails w/ my rig.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Maverick Sport Max 1000 DPSR
14 Posts
Fair enough. I've blown through my budget and then some with all the addon's already so it'd be a bit before I can get tires anyways. Honestly, I'd be super tempted to go 32 for the extra clearance but at a min a 30. Again, I'm totally new to UTV. So, what is a good tire that can handle whatever I throw at it? I'd be mostly woods trails, some mud, some rock. We do also have plenty of dessert riding around as well that I expect we'll be doing since one of my good friends loves exploring the old ghost towns and sites out there. I would love to be able to do some moderately aggressive climbing in terrain like moab but we only hit places like that once or twice a year.

Also, I've seen some people going 4/3 wheels to widen the stance a bit or at least a 5/2. What's your thoughts? I don't mind going a little wider since I'm already restricted from the 50" trails w/ my rig.
I changed my tires and wheels out to 32s with a 4x3 offset. You will be happy you did.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
64 Posts
Welcome from South Central Idaho... Lots of great riding around the state and surrounding states. Look into a local ATV club. We have a great one in Twin Falls. Plenty of people to show you the hows and wheres. And you'll always have someone to ride with you. I'm looking into Tusk Terrabites for my OG Mav.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from South Central Idaho... Lots of great riding around the state and surrounding states. Look into a local ATV club. We have a great one in Twin Falls. Plenty of people to show you the hows and wheres. And you'll always have someone to ride with you. I'm looking into Tusk Terrabites for my OG Mav.
I was just looking at those. Seem solid and reasonably priced too. Just dreaming right now since the budgets blown but maybe later this summer...

@AZ_Orgeron, have you done anything with your suspension preload? I've been trying to read up on tuning the shocks, everything says preload only impacts ride height and increasing preload doesn't really impact handling - to a point. I just don't have a feel for what 'to a point' means. If I crank on it to grab a couple more inches of clearance is that too much? Just curious if you've played with it and have any tips since you're running the same machine.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Maverick Sport Max 1000 DPSR
14 Posts
@scum , I have not adjusted the shocks at all. I got the extra height I wanted in the tire swap. I don't think you are going to need to adjust the shocks. I did on my Defender and things stiffened up and made for a more rigid ride. Get your extra clearance from a change in tires and you will ne happy with the quality and smoothness from the ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the world of side by sides!

Your accessory list is a great start.

Consider adding a spare wheel or puncture strings and a pump.

Helmets for your children and arm restraints to stop flailing in the event of a rollover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts