Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So look what I found on the trail today...

20130302_155309_zpsbd24030d.jpg

After I realized it was the Maverick and not another Commander, I rode over (with the g/f) and talked to the guy. The couple ended up being cool and down to Earth, so we rode the rest of the day together. He was probably the first Can Am owner that didn't start talking crap about Polaris as soon as I walked up.

My impressions; well it makes the RZR look like a toy in a lot of ways. Can Am has the frills and gadgets while the RZR is pretty much bare bones and simple. It looks very well built and I believe his Fox 2.5's outperformed the RZR's. Seemed like it soaked up the rough stuff/whoops a little better. Certainly has power and I could tell he was pulling slowly a few times. Also may have to do with his Bighorns vs my BajaCross. The RZR had trouble gaining speed over the whoops, suspension and traction problem combined. The seats, dash, console, etc is nicer than the RZR, then again, so is the Commander. Ohh the sound of the Rotax Twin, lovely even with the stock exhaust! Beadlocks and Bighorns are always nice.

A few things I like better on the RZR is the lower CG. The Maverick clearly has a higher CG and the seat bottoms are a good 3" higher (by eye). Also the body is wide and bulky compared to the RZR's compact body (originally designed for a 50" machine). I believe some spots in the tight trails I ride may be tough for him (along with many other SxS's). No power steering on the Maverick. Lots more complicated electronics, sensors, etc on Maverick. Comes with Halogen lights, RZR has very bright LED lighting. Lastly, the Maverick has no bed from the factory, just a 'rack'.

Overall the Maverick is a nicer machine, hands down. What would I rather have? Well, so far I'm still glad I chose the RZR for where I ride. I may not have a beautiful Cadillac but the RZR is simple, fast and nimble. We exchanged numbers and I think we'll be riding with them quite a bit, so I may add to this later. Anyways, good day of riding!

2nd Part:
So I took my first ride in it Sunday. I always thought the RZR seats were great coming off sport quads, but now I see why people say they suck. They must have owned a Can Am before. Seats are more comfortable than my truck seats! It feel so much different than the RZR. Feel MUCH bigger. I noticed he can zip through the tight stuff as easily as I can in the XP. I will get a head to head drag on video soon. The 'punch' wasn't as strong as I thought it would be in the Maverick, but I think it has a lot to do with the build of the machine. The suspension, seats, etc make feedback very different than the RZR. The Maverick was VERY stable at 75mph. Felt like I was in a car. And man, does the Rotax sound beautiful...

I did take him for a 10 min rip in the RZR and he said he would NEVER ride in one with someone he didn't trust. Said it was 'scary' compared to his Maverick. It's not faster obviously, but I think it had to do with the handling and hitting the corners/berms faster. He also said the suspension felt 'plusher' than his Maverick's Fox 2.5's. Has to do with spring rate and valving for more aggressive driving on his X rs package probably. I personally don't like how the XP's stock suspension is set up. Going to make some adjustments before next ride.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A link to the thread please.
My screen is showing the link.....NVM you have to sign up to view it. I copy and pasted the info.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your girlfriend get to ride in the maverick?
My Girl always rides with me LOL

We did quite a few drag races last night in the sand, and in every scenario. This is what it boils down to;

XP 2WD H vs X rs 2WD H (not Sport Mode) = XP has the edge and starts pulling after about 25-30mph. If I pulled a good launch, I would stay ahead, if he had the better launch, I would start reeling him in.

XP 2WD H vs X rs 2WD H (Sport Mode) = X rs wins every time. It is close the first 25mph, but by about 45-50 he is one and a half bike lengths ahead an still pulling away. Impressive difference.

XP 4WD L vs X rs 4WD L (no Sport Mode available) = XP wins hands down. The Maverick can't go in Sport Mode in Low, but I believe there is an override for it. Maverick is limited to a lower RPM.

XP 4WD H vs X rs 4WD H (no Sport Mode) = XP wins, hands down. The XP seems to pull harder from the start, must the the difference in the 4WD drivetrains.

XP 4WD H vs X rs 4WD H (Sport Mode) = X rs's race in a long stretch. Neck and neck off the line, but X rs will pull the XP.

XP 4WD H vs X rs 2WD H (Sport Mode) = This isn't really fair, but XP pulls and leaves enough room the X rs won't catch it for a short race. So if I race someone else's Maverick in the sand, 4WD it is

In conclusion the Maverick X rs is clearly the faster machine. The difference between non-Sport Mode and Sport Mode was very clear, about a bike and half length difference in a short distance. I was impressed with the XP and happy with all the results. For sure the new tires helped a lot. If I still had the BajaCross I think I would have lost every race except Low Range!

Oh and we're still friends after all this haha.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
If she feels how comfortable those seats are, she'll have you converting! Lol
No serious, good review, nice to hear an honest opinion

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice review....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thumbs up!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If she feels how comfortable those seats are, she'll have you converting! Lol
No serious, good review, nice to hear an honest opinion
Sorry for the confusion, I own a Maverick and ride with a 900XP owner. I took this review from a Polaris Forum that was made by the guy with the 900xp...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my bad, now lets hear your side of the story
I think its about spot on. I wouldnt go as far to say the XP looks like a toy. The main difference is the weight, which is not mentioned, however it is the main advantage of the XP IMO. Also i like the beffier drivetrain on the Maverick, looks like it can handle bigger tire and thrashing better than the popo.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts