Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys who plan on running STM clutches on the max. The STM secondary will not work with the max clutch box, you will have to get a box for a 2 seater without the extra snorkel. On the inside of the box there is a plate that takes up a lot of room and there just isn't enough room for the bigger STM secondary.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow good info- I am about to order a clutch.....hmmm!

Actually I believe the 2014 2 seater clutch has the vent as well. Not 100% sure but I think.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
What primary are you using. Seems I remember some primaries require the STM to be spaced out further.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adam I heated the box up thinking that I could push it out to make it fit but I pushed too hard lol. Cracked the box and said to hell with it. Got a box for a 13 maverick and it bolted right up. Cost around $120. I'm sure it's possible to heat and mold but I still needed a lot of room. I had a few ideas to make the box work and keep the snorkel but after i cracked it I said screw it lol. Btw I want a blower set up for the snorkel I do have

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
A few folks have reported that the secondary air inlet is on the Maverick (Non-MAX) as well.....I think it is an all around design change.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cv tech. But again we cut Alot of stuff out and it still wouldn't fit. If someone with some patients wanted to try, they might be successful but I just heated it up and started pushing. Maybe some finesse would have worked I don't know. The way the plate tapers down on the inside makes it impossible to use with the STM. So we removed the plate but still had the section that holds the plate to the box. Wish I took a few pics because its hard to describe, but even if it were recessed further back the tapered part of the plate would still have to be cut out. The STM secondary helix has a much bigger diameter than the stock secondary

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks again for the info--- I may just be doing the primary for now. Well I guess that saves a couple bucks....of course after you buy a Max what's another 500! :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If anyone has a new style CVT cover on their 2014 and wants to swap for a cover from a 2013, I would consider swapping with you....I would just need ot ensure it would fit on mine before I commited to it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks again for the info--- I may just be doing the primary for now. Well I guess that saves a couple bucks....of course after you buy a Max what's another 500! :)
Only 1 problem with that theory. It is NEVER just another $500. If your lucky, it will just be only $500 at a time!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone has a new style CVT cover on their 2014 and wants to swap for a cover from a 2013, I would consider swapping with you....I would just need ot ensure it would fit on mine before I commited to it.
The only problem u might run into is where to run the snorkel, but I know the box would bolt up

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The only problem u might run into is where to run the snorkel, but I know the box would bolt up
I was thinking (yes that is dangerous, I know) that I could build a custom duct that draws air from under the drivers seat. I live in the desert so I will never be in a position to suck in standing water. But just in case, I thought about installing a threaded flange on the end so I could screw on a cap to prevent water from entering in the small likelyhood of going in deep water.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In stock form it goes behind the seat. About chest level

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
In stock form it goes behind the seat. About chest level
Yea, I actually printed out the parts diagrams from the 2014 model. The panels are designed differently and to make it look OEM , would be rather spendy so I am looking at alternative options.....

Reactions: Driller77

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just installed STM/STM clutches on my 2014 maverick max yesterday. As Driller77 said, the 2014 clutch cover will not fit without modifying the inner cover plate. However, I was able to modify it with a drill and dremmel tool enough to make it work. It took several test try's and a little grinding at a time but it finally fit. You have to remove plastic where the bolts bottom out as well as the actual curved part on the side closest to the primary. If someone made a little thicker gasket( I was thinking about trying 2 gaskets) and counter sunk bolts into STM cover a little more, very little plastic would have to be removed, if any at all. Again, this is for STM/STM combo on a max. I will be bringing this issue to STM's attention and see what they have to say

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
could you possibly post some pictures…….it would help us understand what is needed a lot better.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great to hear Shane. I tried modding the box but my lack of patients got the best of me. I'm glad u made it work! If u have any pics I'm sure folks would love to see them

·
Registered
184 Posts
image.jpg
I forgot to mention, I removed all 4 bolts and added a couple washers to each one to allow me to remove a little more plastic. Also, I forgot to take a pic once everything was complete. The curved part where I had to remove a little plastic is right where the cover has a V in it

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thanks…this helps immensely...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts