Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
125 Posts
Question, what is the helmet law in Oregon? I should know this I grew up there, but forgot. Also, what is that behind the lower bar? Radiator relocate, or intercooler?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question, what is the helmet law in Oregon? I should know this I grew up there, but forgot. Also, what is that behind the lower bar? Radiator relocate, or intercooler?
No helmet law in Oregon. Depending what I'm doing I wear one sometimes and other times I use my headsets because music sounds SO MUCH better with headsets.

Those are gigantic intercoolers I built with dual fans behind the lower bars.

·
Premium Member
10,119 Posts
Great pics! It does seem weird somebody in the dunes driving without a helmet.

Reactions: warlock

·
Registered
46 Posts
The day I met Dave down there I was almost in a head on riding on one of the trails near the tree line with 2 kids in a yamaha. He was doing about 50 and I was doing 25 and if I had not been paying attention there would of been a death most likely. The 2 in yamaha were not wearing helmet so instead of yelling and cussing i made it a learning experience for the kid and explained to him how lucky we were and this was a warning from a higher power to pay attention and wear a helmet. We missed by 2 inches at best.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
In the dunes, the way I drive, in my opinion, helmet is a must.
You never know!
All the time you expect the dunes to be normal, but at times it is not as expected... a dune with a razorback on both sides...
Happened to me twice so far, expecting to come to a stop on top of the dune to look around and orientate, and there is no plateau... just a steep drop-off..., the last one was almost an ass over teakettle!
Also the sand trails in the Oregon dunes make me behave like a hoonigan...
So, Helmet Yes!
In the woods and mountains I go without. (whatever happens will be relatively slow)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Great pics!

Headed down tomorrow!

Helmets are a must for the two of us bat shit crazies... however there are a few in the group that still don't wear them, to each their own. I do understand the freedom and feeling without them and would love to feel the risk wasn't there. Like PropDr said "those dang razor backs and "the sand trails in the Oregon dunes make me behave like a hoonigan..."

I got in the habit back in the day riding MX on our private track and then car racing.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Great pics!

Headed down tomorrow!

Helmets are a must for the two of us bat shit crazies... however there are a few in the group that still don't wear them, to each their own. I do understand the freedom and feeling without them and would love to feel the risk wasn't there. Like PropDr said "those dang razor backs and "the sand trails in the Oregon dunes make me behave like a hoonigan..."

I got in the habit back in the day riding MX on our private track and then car racing.
We should start a petition to make the old coast guard road 'One Way'; that way we could open up!

·
Registered
681 Posts
We should start a petition to make the old coast guard road 'One Way'; that way we could open up!
Yes, North to South would work for me. Then ride the dunes back, South to North, and climb the razor backs, instead of launching off them.

·
Administrator
2,394 Posts

Yes, North to South would work for me. Then ride the dunes back, South to North, and climb the razor backs, instead of launching off them.
This is a great idea if every rider knew and abided by it. Everyone here already knows this, but the kicker is when that 1 vehicle/group rides against the rule-of-thumb and everyone else is hauling the mail "the correct way", that is when the medics / coroner get dispached.

Sandlake is a good example for the unwritten direction of travel around it's perimeter. Most are aware, a few are not....and the Big Bang has happened many times in the past because of 100% assumptions.

I agree with this idea. From my past dealings with the FS, I really don't think they would ever get on board with this for an official ruling. They would rather have us park all of our atvs/utvs/bikes in our front yards as landscaping decorations..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That would be fun!

Of course there would be some idiot that didn't read or follow directions that would get wiped out.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts