Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,111 Posts
I very lightly lubed with molly something, the CT bushings. The squeaky front end is embarrassing, but when people next to me start running their tapper I just slowly turn my wheels and it’s like nails on chalk boards. I kinda like that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure it isn't your shocks?

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Fully rebuilt by ST 100 less than 100 miles ago. It was doing it before and after. Oddly though if I have a shock off and lift a corner by hand (without a tire on, cuz I’m older now and can’t lift things lol) it doesn’t do it. But turning the steering wheel sounds like metal cracking

Some of those little metal ‘washers’ have snapped the connector that holds the 2 of them together. Which makes me think maybe it’s over torqued.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great. So it's those damn S3 bushings making all that noise then huh? And not my spherical bushings on my shocks? So I shouldn't waste my time trying to get rid of that squeaking noise??

·
Premium Member
14,111 Posts
Great. So it's those damn S3 bushings making all that noise then huh? And not my spherical bushings on my shocks? So I shouldn't waste my time trying to get rid of that squeaking noise??
Put a helmet it on, and turn up the music. Problem solved.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I wish it were that simple. I have my headset with the music playing and then I can still hear it. And it drives other people crazy out on the trails it makes your $30,000 machine sound like a $5,000 piece of crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the greaseless A Arm bushings - I think I bought them from S3 and they squeal like a pig. I've tried using PTFE spray dry lube and that helps but the problem is re-occuring and honestly its bad enough I'm ready to switch out the damn things. The noise is unbearable and really shouldn't be so bad with these bushings. There are no grease zerks to grease so i'm considering going back to something I can grease.

Anyone have bushings they like and haven't had issues with?
I have found that 99% of the squeaks on my maverick are from the shock bushings. Lube them up & the squeaks are gone

·
Registered
70 Posts
We make our bushings out of a self lubricating, space age polymer (Nasa uses it). I think it's made from crushed up unicorn horns..... We DO install them wet. We use a little CV grease during install. Our bushings are tight tight until the break in and then they are just tight. We do grease them during maintenance also. They are gun drilled to allow some grease to get in (not much at all) We do aboslutely recommend the bushing wear plates be reinstalled. They are a friction barrier between the bushing and the chassis and without them the bushing will wear into the chassis or gusset kit.

Side not we also have shock bearing upgrades to get rid of the factory setup that is prone to breakage and squeakyness.

If I can help at all let me know!

Second side note I must be the only guy that had a 4 linked truggy before a sxs... You want to talk about squeaky.... 7/8 and 3/4 FK heims on link bars. Used to be able to tell how far I was flexed by sound lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
We make our bushings out of a self lubricating, space age polymer (Nasa uses it). I think it's made from crushed up unicorn horns..... We DO install them wet. We use a little CV grease during install. Our bushings are tight tight until the break in and then they are just tight. We do grease them during maintenance also. They are gun drilled to allow some grease to get in (not much at all) We do aboslutely recommend the bushing wear plates be reinstalled. They are a friction barrier between the bushing and the chassis and without them the bushing will wear into the chassis or gusset kit.

Side not we also have shock bearing upgrades to get rid of the factory setup that is prone to breakage and squeakyness.

Second side note I must be the only guy that had a 4 linked truggy before a sxs... You want to talk about squeaky.... 7/8 and 3/4 FK heims on link bars. Used to be able to tell how far I was flexed by sound lol.
Your bushing sets dont come with pins though do they?

PS. You guys have NerfBars for the OG Mavericks in production yet? Hoping to have the set we ordered the beginning of August soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your bushing sets dont come with pins though do they?

PS. You guys have NerfBars for the OG Mavericks in production yet? Hoping to have the set we ordered the beginning of August soon.
Our bushings re use the factory pins. If it ain't broke don't fix it.... the facotry pins are hard as hell and very rarely cause issues (99.9% due to bolt failure, bolt stretch or bolts loose) So rather than charge for a new pin we made our bushings work with something that's already proven.

As far as OG sliders go..... i sadly do not have positive news on them. We are waiting on the laser parts to come in for them. They have a MASSIVE cut sheet for stuff we need and are working through it as fast as possbile.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been using this and happy with them. Recently tore a lower a arm off and had to replace all from a arm, upper and lower, with an aftermarket because stock was not available.
Removed them from old a arms and popped them in. Still in great shape after 500 miles.
Performance Sxs bushings, sealed bushings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have found that 99% of the squeaks on my maverick are from the shock bushings. Lube them up & the squeaks are gone
I agree with this. Almost all the squeaking is from shock bushings. I know this because I’ve replaced mine a few times. Every time I replace them squeaking goes away and that’s on a machine with 2000 miles of eastern (muddier) riding which makes things squeak a lot quicker than sand.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Mine was absolutely my S3 bushings. LIke some others mentioned once I got mine off I could see the bushings wearing circular grooves into the metal brakets. Putting in the garage products (hoping for the best) and based on Davids feedback going to run the metal wearplates on them too. Their a PIA to line up but after seeing my bushings wear the way they did I think the metal wear plates will really help the problem.
The loud squeek is certainly coming from the bushings but the shock bushings have crossed my mind as well. I'll take a look at those as well. Here is what the bushing did to my gusset kit.

Attachments

Reactions: DBrunton

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

David - I would love to hear more about the shock bearing upgrades. Are they hard to install? I have a guy locally who can install them, just want to make sure they dont require shock disassmbly and what the cost looks like. Seems worth it to me while I have my entire front end disassembled

·
Registered
70 Posts
David - I would love to hear more about the shock bearing upgrades. Are they hard to install? I have a guy locally who can install them, just want to make sure they dont require shock disassmbly and what the cost looks like. Seems worth it to me while I have my entire front end disassembled
Hey homie, they are $30 per eyelet and they are pretty straight forward to install. The shock does not have to come apart.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I got to the bottom of the squeak apparently it is the shocks I took them out and cleaned them up a little with Emery and hosed them down with Can Am's shock lubricant and corrosive spray. They sound great now. But this thing with those bushings wearing the metal like that? what the hell are those things made out of?? They can tear in the metal like that they are made of some pretty serious crap. And when I put them in I'm pretty sure it said do not reuse or use the metal gusset bushings that were in the stock ones. So now I'm a little frustrated because it's going to be a a damn nightmare now to take everything apart to replace those bushings, especially when in the instructions it said to use red Loctite. 😑

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well I got to the bottom of the squeak apparently it is the shocks I took them out and cleaned them up a little with Emery and hosed them down with Can Am's shock lubricant and corrosive spray. They sound great now. But this thing with those bushings wearing the metal like that? what the hell are those things made out of?? They can tear in the metal like that they are made of some pretty serious crap. And when I put them in I'm pretty sure it said do not reuse or use the metal gusset bushings that were in the stock ones. So now I'm a little frustrated because it's going to be a a damn nightmare now to take everything apart to replace those bushings, especially when in the instructions it said to use red Loctite. 😑
Oh snap! Red Locktite on the bushings.. I haven't heard that before. If yours are slipping as bad as mine I dont think the red locktite is going to make a difference. My s3 bushings were toast. They popped out with next to no effort. I trust David and CT to give us good info on going back with the thin metal wear plates. It makes sense to me they would help keep things quite. You have me wondering if I should try this shock lube before I replace all the bearings on mine. Going to take a closer look at mine tonight. I have to stop replacing shit or I'll never get this thing back together LOL.

Could my bushing have done this because they were over torqued?

I'm going to second Megas comments. Maybe lubing these bushings is where the problems start. The grease settles in between the arm and the bushing and they start spinning causing pre-mature wear. I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,276 Posts
I just keep my stock bushings well greased. Still tight at 6000 miles. Not a sound.

Will likely just use stock again when the time comes.

Dry hard bushings are for road cars imo. Offroad not so much. Transmit quite a bit more force too on a vehicle getting pounded none stop on bumps.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts